basement waterproofing

HotCarl

We have a small amount of water seepage getting into one corner of the basement during heavy rains. Right now its manageable with a dehumidifier and a little cleanup but it shouldn't be happening.

Can anyone recommend a company to fix such issues?

I made appointments with Basement Dr and EveryDry for free consultations so far but if anyone has experience good or bad with a company let me know. Thanks.

(disclaimer: I thought another member mentioned something like this a while back but after a search no threads came up.)

Basement remediation is big money. Take a look at the outside of the area and see if there are any issues. ie: grade, downspouts, clogged gutters, failed building materials. Sometimes a lot can be done to slow the water.

If it's ground water coming up/in, (crazy amount of rain in the last year), you may have to have a sump pump installed, or install exterior drainage.

You may be able to save money with a general contractor over one of these basement remodeling companies.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I chose C&J basement I do not recommend them as they had to demo my basement 3 times before getting it right. I had Basement Dr come out for a 2nd opinion and they basically said what C&J needed to do. Any further issues I will be hiring Basement Dr

ohio basement authority does the process different than other companies. They saved my dad alot of coin doing his.

Small back story when I moved into my house most the gutters were clogged, the grading went back towards the house and naturally you could see where water seeped into the basement. I had fixed the gutters, drainage and the grading but what I was after was for the cinder block wall to be cleaned and anything on it nutralized and then drylocked.

I had Ohio basement authority come out becasue I wanted a quote on them to clean and paint my walls with drylock. Which I told them over the phone and they said no problem. When they finally came by the person said they don't paint walls as it will just seep through the paint anyway. They then proposed a full 15k setup for encapsulation plus a huge dehumidifier even though the humidity in the basement was around 39% which he said was very low.

Small back story when I moved into my house most the gutters were clogged, the grading went back towards the house and naturally you could see where water seeped into the basement. I had fixed the gutters, drainage and the grading but what I was after was for the cinder block wall to be cleaned and anything on it nutralized and then drylocked.

I had Ohio basement authority come out becasue I wanted a quote on them to clean and paint my walls with drylock. Which I told them over the phone and they said no problem. When they finally came by the person said they don't paint walls as it will just seep through the paint anyway. They then proposed a full 15k setup for encapsulation plus a huge dehumidifier even though the humidity in the basement was around 39% which he said was very low.

I suppose each case is different, but their "inside seal" vs. "Outside seal" typically is alot cheaper.

Curious as to wether you had any issues afterward? It sounds like you did what you needed to do to resolve most of the issue.

Basement remediation is big money. Take a look at the outside of the area and see if there are any issues. ie: grade, downspouts, clogged gutters, failed building materials. Sometimes a lot can be done to slow the water.

If it's ground water coming up/in, (crazy amount of rain in the last year), you may have to have a sump pump installed, or install exterior drainage.

You may be able to save money with a general contractor over one of these basement remodeling companies.

This. Do the easy/cheap stuff on your own first, then see what happens. If you have a company come over to look, they WILL try to sell you their high dollar fixes, whether you actually need that level of remediation or not.

Same thing happened with my basement, small amount of water seeping in during heavy rain only, but a couple weeks ago after all that rain we got my basement flooded.

Turns out the water drainage line from the sump pump out to the curb was crushed & blocked by a large tree root and several smaller roots inside the drain pipe. As for repairs I just did the work myself, I dug up the drain pipe in my front yard and had to re-route the pipe around the root that crushed it and under another large root back to the main exit point, checked the water flow after the repair, water comes running out with no restrictions, I also bought some concrete sealer and some drylock paint to seal & coat my basement walls. Since I did these repairs I haven't seen any water seepage in my basement.

Curious as to wether you had any issues afterward? It sounds like you did what you needed to do to resolve most of the issue.

No issues since actually but it was a giant pain in the ass. On the back of the house the rear drain was filled with sticks, leaves, roofing nails and what looked like sand. Front of the house I was not so lucky, some of the drainage pipe was not connected fully, 2 places had about a 1 foot dip from dirt settling, bunch of weird ass transitions from angles into the curb, crushed pipe and root penetration. Ended up having to replace all of the front gutter drainage.

On top of that I had to pretty much raise the flower bed around the entire house about a half a foot to almost a full foot in one or two places. It also turned out that the sump pump was unplugged when I moved in because it was going bad. So I ended up having to replace that as well.

I still haven't cleaned the wall or dry locked it because Ive been lazy tbh.