HVAC assistance.

1Quik7

With the weather warming up the past couple days we kicked the AC on, but it doesn't seem to be functioning properly.

After doing some nosing around/troubleshooting:

The heatpump/compressor and inside evap are newer, maybe 4yrs?

The filters are clean/replaced

Sprayed the heatpump down with the hose to clean out debris

The fan is not running in the heat pump, the compressor will kick on for 20sec, the return pipe will get super cold then it will shut off and go back to ambient temp. This cycle continues. I can spin the fan freely with a stick but couldn't get it to spin on its own power.

I'm not totally positive how these units are supposed to function, it's just a typical Lennox pump. Is the fan always supposed to run in cooling mode?

Double check the outside shutoff near the compressor and the circuit breaker, the compressor is on a separate one from the rest of the furnace.

If that isn't it my uneducated bet would be the start capacitor on the compressor.

Yes the outside fan should be running for sure. I'd check the simple things first, breakers and put a volt meter on a few places on the power board, ie motor power output. You can also check at the capacitor and fan itself, its a pretty simple thing to troubleshoot.

• 5 weeks later...
My old unit had a switch that triggered the fan to start spinning. The switch was ‘stuck’ and once I pushed it, it worked fine. The next time it happened, I learned my unit had two caps with one hidden under a cover. That cap was exploded, so once replaced - I was back in business.

Turned out to be the fan motor, replace it today and the AC works properly. Thanks for the help. BTW if you need parts for appliances RepairClinic out of Michigan has been great. Ive gotten everything next day using their standard shipping.