Shivs, Shanks, and Such

RC K9

So, in the falconry world, one of our jobs is to dispatch prey that our raptor catches as quickly as possible to reduce suffering. That being said, many falconers utilize an ice pick. Most of us use a $5 made in china ice pick off ebay or amazon, which works perfectly fine. But, being a hillbilly, (or would it be redneck now? My roots are from Appalachia, but I have lived in TX for 9yrs...) with a taste for the finer things in life, I decided to start handcrafting some of my own shivs, shanks, picks, spikes, whatever you want to call them. Attached are some pics of what I've made. I don't have a lathe, drill press, or band saw, so these are all made with hand tools, and a few power tools I have that are being used in ways they were never meant to be used.

I was also wondering, does anyone ever use picks to chip ice for their drinks anymore, or is that a thing of the past? Because these could be used for something like that too i'd imagine if you have a fancy bar setup and enjoy entertaining.

kjcVyl7l.jpg

HPpueSKl.jpg

o0RiSM7l.jpg

AFJqhTvl.jpg

R4p6tgpl.jpg

sClGLz3l.jpg

5nFiJwpl.jpg

4Ypx5bTl.jpg

Nice work! Where are you getting the brass looking pieces? I've been trying to decide how I'm going to finish some walking sticks that I have drying in my shed.

I make them. I buy brass sheet, cut into smaller pieces, drill a hole through them, slide them over the spike in between the inlace and antler sections, then grind, sand, and polish into shape and finish I need.

This stuff is a lot of work, especially considering the tools I am having to use, but I have some interest in the purchase of some of them at a price I can live with on my end, so it's worth it since I enjoy making them.

Wow yeah that would be a lot of work. I've looked at some of the walking stick DIY forums and people usually buy through a few places that make the tips, etc, but the price is pretty high.

How were you trying to incorporate the brass into the stick?

I'm just in the browsing for ideas stage. I have most of my sticks still drying out. I would like to make at least one taller one into something like a wizard staff but I want to spend a lot of time on it and make it nice. Not of the styrofoam variety that I see online lol.

I have a ton of live oak trees on my property, many are very straight. They are a little heavy but it's more for fun and they aren't gonna break easily if I decided to bash something with one. I have dug up some for the root ball and am going to try making some fancy clubs as well.

What are you making the steel out of? I looks like it was heated so I'm guessing you didn't buy them premade.

One of those rods is titanium, the other is SS. I just buy brass, steel, and titanium rod stock. Cut to length, grind down the point end on one side and thread the other side. Use a torch to heat and get the funky colors I want if that is the direction I am going to go.

Edited by RC K9