Safes

Radio Flyer1647545514

I'm in the market. Been looking at the fort Knox Maverick 1/2 long gun half shelves unit. There's only one dealer in the area and he doesn't order enough at a time to get me a big discount on shipping costs so I got quoted 2400 delivered into my house in the location I want it. It's a little more than I wanted to spend but I can swing it.

My buddy has a liberty and said he hated the interior for moving long guns in and out and he spent a bunch of money swapping that all out. He recommended a secure it for the layout. This brand has no fire protection but I've read most fire protection is kinda meh unless you go top of the line.

I'm not in my forever home so this is going to have to get moved again, the one plus side is there are no steps to my current place but the fort Knox is over 500lbs and the dealer said he doesn't know if the door can come off which I've read will make the moving process easier weight wise.

Any suggestions on brands? Layouts? Do you wish you'd have gone a certain route after having bought yours?

A buddy of mine has a Superior Safe, and loves it.

Personally, when I do make the investment for a nice safe, I'll probably go with Rhino Ironworks. I like the looks, the builds, and that they are made by vets.

For now, I store all my guns in the kids bedroom. Nobody will ever think to look there.

I have a cannon, it’s good. Was a gift so can’t complain there but wish it had a key backup. Inside long gun storage is meh but works well enough. If you are a home-brew engineer type, moving them isn’t bad at all. I had mine more than 3/4 into the basement before the FIL stopped by to help. Went much faster and easier admittedly after his arrival but hey, I was managing.

The question is do you have any guns that really cannot be replaced?

If not just go with a lockable steel cabinet and make sure you have insurance that will cover the loss. Chances are in a fire they are ruined even if they don't burn in any of the "fireproof" safes most people sell.