Plumbing/water line help

2 Sweet

So the water curb box down on my sidewalk in front of my house is slowly leaking out the top of the cover. I called the city, they had their folks come out and look at it. They are telling me it isn't their leak, it's somewhere between the curb box and the meter and apparently it's my responsibility to have a certified contractor come out, find the leak, and fix it. And then I need to call the city again and have them come back to inspect.

Any advice? Any recommendations on who I should call?

So the water curb box down on my sidewalk in front of my house is slowly leaking out the top of the cover. I called the city, they had their folks come out and look at it. They are telling me it isn't their leak, it's somewhere between the curb box and the meter and apparently it's my responsibility to have a certified contractor come out, find the leak, and fix it. And then I need to call the city again and have them come back to inspect.

Any advice? Any recommendations on who I should call?

Be prepared, it has to be a contractor off their dot licensed list and it is not cheap. Hopefully Steve's guy has time to take care of you.

Which side of town are you on?

Edit:. Just saw your location is Hilliard.

I have a well, so no city water input here really. But a question for the group I guess...

Effectively you've been punished for having the city inspect it right? Had you not called them out you wouldn't have to use someone off their list, have it inspected, and whatever else. Can you not just fix the leak on your dime with whoever you want, and then never call them to inspect it? Any reprocussions there if it's your responsbility?

Edited by spankis

You need permits and inspections regardless I believe, so they would know. That isnt to say you can have joe-schmoe go and fix the leak for you 'under the table'. Just risk fines and such if found out as with any other permittable work. Not as easy in a front yard.

Be prepared, it has to be a contractor off their dot licensed list and it is not cheap. Hopefully Steve's guy has time to take care of you.

Which side of town are you on?

Edit:. Just saw your location is Hilliard.

Unfortunately, Gunther Plumbing isn't certified to do water line stuff, but Travis recommended someone who can help (Kapp Excavating) soooo fingers crossed.

Effectively you've been punished for having the city inspect it right? Had you not called them out you wouldn't have to use someone off their list, have it inspected, and whatever else.

Yeah, this is what irks me. Fuck me for being a responsible citizen and notifying them when I noticed a little water coming out of their curb box. And now it's "my responsibility" but I need to hire someone on THEIR list? This whole situation is really annoying.

City of Columbus had to come out three different times to "inspect" it after I called to report, and they seemed clueless. This whole thing smells like BS.

To late now, but yeah I've installed my own waterlines several times over the years. You own anything on your side of the water tap so they don't have to know about it, you just turn off the water and make the repairs. Not sure if you can still get away with it or if they turned off your water.