N2O

xlr8tn

Been looking at kits. Not completely sure I'm going to do one yet but for now just trying to do my homework. Just thinking of doing a smaller shot....like max of 100. I live in Lancaster...is there a place close to get bottles filled? How long does a 10# bottle last and what does it cost to get them filled? It would see very limited use after the initial "new toy" thing. Just looking to add more speed to the car....have had the heads/cam for years now and kinda bored with it. Car is a 98 formula.

There's a lot more to it than just bolting on a kit.

I would go with a Nitrous Outlet plate system, we ran one for years on my car and had zero issues.

Outside of that, you'll need to upgrade your fuel pump, fuel injectors, add a hot wire kit for the new pump, and get the car tuned.

Racetronix makes fuel system kits for our cars that have everything minus the injectors. They are great to deal with and can get you going in the right direction.

https://racetronix.com/

For injectors, you'll want at least 42lb an hour to keep the fuel system fed and happy.

Tuning is the most important thing out of all of this, I would suggest going to Dynotune Motorsports. Brian has tuned MANY of these combos.

Something else to think about is a progressive nitrous controller, that will help at the track.

"Small" is what Zex jets for in their "safe shot" kit. 13-35hp. You are going to need to change plugs, look at the entire fuel system like Brian, mentioned as well as getting the car on a nitrous tune.

outside of that though, 100-150 should be fun!

There's a lot more to it than just bolting on a kit.

I would go with a Nitrous Outlet plate system, we ran one for years on my car and had zero issues.

Outside of that, you'll need to upgrade your fuel pump, fuel injectors, add a hot wire kit for the new pump, and get the car tuned.

Racetronix makes fuel system kits for our cars that have everything minus the injectors. They are great to deal with and can get you going in the right direction.

https://racetronix.com/

For injectors, you'll want at least 42lb an hour to keep the fuel system fed and happy.

Tuning is the most important thing out of all of this, I would suggest going to Dynotune Motorsports. Brian has tuned MANY of these combos.

Something else to think about is a progressive nitrous controller, that will help at the track.

"Small" is what Zex jets for in their "safe shot" kit. 13-35hp. You are going to need to change plugs, look at the entire fuel system like Brian, mentioned as well as getting the car on a nitrous tune.

outside of that though, 100-150 should be fun!

What these guys said. On my old car though (02 Camaro) I just put on a 75-100 shot, used a resistor to pull timing and prayed the motor didn't let go. I got extremely lucky it never did but I only hit the giggle button a handful of times.

You can do it fast and cheap but in the long run you'll end up buying a new motor sooner or later. I can't count the number of engines I've seen drop a few rods at the track because someone just slapped on a quick kit for easy speed.

What these guys said. On my old car though (02 Camaro) I just put on a 75-100 shot, used a resistor to pull timing and prayed the motor didn't let go. I got extremely lucky it never did but I only hit the giggle button a handful of times.

You can do it fast and cheap but in the long run you'll end up buying a new motor sooner or later. I can't count the number of engines I've seen drop a few rods at the track because someone just slapped on a quick kit for easy speed.

That's kind of a concern but I'm pretty sure I could get away with a 100 shot for awhile. Hell....I only drive the car a handful of times a year as it is. Even if the motor did let go that would just motivate me to do an LQ9.

I know about the plugs, timing, and tuning. I already have a racetronix fuel pump with hotwire. I also have hptuners and tune myself. I've looked at kits a few times over the years and always talk myself out of it. This time I think I might do it. I want to go a little faster and short of starting over with boost spray makes the most sense. I was looking at a plate kit from nitrous outlet. I just want sure how hard it'll be to refill bottles and things like that.

That's kind of a concern but I'm pretty sure I could get away with a 100 shot for awhile. Hell....I only drive the car a handful of times a year as it is. Even if the motor did let go that would just motivate me to do an LQ9.

I know about the plugs, timing, and tuning. I already have a racetronix fuel pump with hotwire. I also have hptuners and tune myself. I've looked at kits a few times over the years and always talk myself out of it. This time I think I might do it. I want to go a little faster and short of starting over with boost spray makes the most sense. I was looking at a plate kit from nitrous outlet. I just want sure how hard it'll be to refill bottles and things like that.

I don't know anybody out that way that fills bottles. You might have to get them filled at Jegs, I would do some googling and calling to see if any shops out there fill them.

I would get about 3 quarter mile passes out of a bottle and nitrous was about $6 a pound but I'm sure that cost has gone up since the election. You also need to change plugs every 2 to 3 bottles and run the right heat range plugs.

Thanks for the replies. Gives me something to think about. I'll ask around out here and see if there's a place that fills bottles. Seems I get to about this point every time and start seeing all the downside and end up talking myself out of it haha.

I could go to a bigger cam and go faster but work/reward for that kinda sucks. I have a 228r in it now so definitely could gain some since that's a smaller type cam but like I say.....work/reward sucks going that route.

I know Bazel fuel down in Logan sells race gas. I wonder if they fill bottles too? If you're looking to wake the car up a little more, would a different rear end gear or a different converter be easier? I know when we went to 4.10 gears in my '95 the car seemed entirely different.

That was the same thought when I had mine. I just did a simple wet kit and like Wags said, I did the plate. No need for extra stuff like injectors or anything crazy. I kept it mild around 100 and I did pull timing in the tune but I also did the resistor trick on the IAT to "enable" that so it was normal timing until I armed the kit. I'm sure there are much better solutions now than there were back 20ish years ago when the only tuning solution was LS1 Edit.

Just do your research and go with what you feel safe doing. Always keep in mind that it's a gamble, but you have that with any power adder.

I have 3.73's in a 12 bolt and a converter now. I run 93 all the time and would pull probably 4-5 degrees at least. I'd have to look at the tune to be sure where my timing is these days. 98's were pretty aggressive factory at 28 degrees but seems like I added 1 or 2 to that. Been a long time since I've really looked at my tune. I have some stuff to research and look at.

That was the same thought when I had mine. I just did a simple wet kit and like Wags said, I did the plate. No need for extra stuff like injectors or anything crazy. I kept it mild around 100 and I did pull timing in the tune but I also did the resistor trick on the IAT to "enable" that so it was normal timing until I armed the kit. I'm sure there are much better solutions now than there were back 20ish years ago when the only tuning solution was LS1 Edit.

Just do your research and go with what you feel safe doing. Always keep in mind that it's a gamble, but you have that with any power adder.

Haha...I remember the ls1 edit days. That's what I started on.