Energy supplements

Johny Utah

I'm 46 and off energy drinks for a while now. Don't get me wrong, I really like Redbull, but it is terrible for you. My energy level is pretty high because of my diet and activity level. So the first thing I would ask is, what is your diet like? 99% of the time, that is your energy issue.

Stress and cortisol levels are going to play a factor too, but let us know what you eat.

/\/\

What he said. I am a very active individual and use a couple supplements which I like but the base line discussion should be diet and if there is any type of regular exercise routine. Those two, plus a solid sleep pattern, make a huge difference in energy levels.

Coffee gets me through lol. As far as supplements I haven't tried anything for energy, but I take echinacea daily which I totally believe has helped me go from constantly catching every cold, etc the kids bring home to pretty much being free of any sickness like that for 6-7 years. Usually everyone else in the household gets pretty sick for a few days and I just get maybe not feeling well, but still functional enough that I never miss work for it.

No one else here will take things routinely, I'm blessed with having the gambit of meds and stupid equipment which brings me to severe sleep apnea (worst case two sleep doctors ever seen) and I guess I've had it my whole life and didn't know until I was 38 (family seems to have it, and I was underweight and still had it) which pisses me off now that I've got that treated very well with a sleep apnea machine and constant vigilance of learning to sleep well with it. That gave me great energy and I'm now a morning person. I could go on and on about getting help for that condition, but we'll stick to supplements for now.

I'm going to pry, so bare with me. "I eat healthy". Like food pyramid healthy, or I actually know what food is and the food pyramid is all messed up?

Easy route, given what you said about being on prednisone. Stress or another factor has your cortisol levels elevated and joint inflammation was relieved with the prednisone. Get you some yoga. That's right, I said it. Yoga, pilates and stretching in general will get you that feel good you took a pill for, with long term benefits. Low testosterone may need to be checked out too. Again, cortisol being a asshole, can effect your T levels. And there is your lack of energy. If you have a diet with high carbs, 2-3 pm hates you and you want a nap. Have I mentioned yoga? You don't have to like it, but as guys in our 40's, we are fucking meatheads for the most part, and just lifting weights for workouts is likely our past. Now we feel out of whack with muscle mass and joint mobility.

How we doing so far?

Close to food pyramid healthy. I don’t eat junk. My diet is not high carb. I do lift some weights. I have never tried yoga or Pilates. If my Testosterone is low I need to take NuGenix like Frank Thomas said. NuGenix with yoga. That probably would be good.

I'm going to pry, so bare with me. "I eat healthy". Like food pyramid healthy, or I actually know what food is and the food pyramid is all messed up?

Easy route, given what you said about being on prednisone. Stress or another factor has your cortisol levels elevated and joint inflammation was relieved with the prednisone. Get you some yoga. That's right, I said it. Yoga, pilates and stretching in general will get you that feel good you took a pill for, with long term benefits. Low testosterone may need to be checked out too. Again, cortisol being a asshole, can effect your T levels. And there is your lack of energy. If you have a diet with high carbs, 2-3 pm hates you and you want a nap. Have I mentioned yoga? You don't have to like it, but as guys in our 40's, we are fucking meatheads for the most part, and just lifting weights for workouts is likely our past. Now we feel out of whack with muscle mass and joint mobility.

How we doing so far?

never was into stretching until i got into my 40s. mainly because i kept getting injuries along with two torn hip labrums(sp). the normal squats, pushups, and heavy cardio was nothing but injuries. started doing the following:

- exercises such as hindu squats to work on joint strength that is outside the normal range of motion.

- finally took stretching serious and started working on doing the splits (which im still terrible at), calf stretches, lengthening running stride, and various hip stretches. seems to have solved my two decade issue with jumper's knee.

- alot less high intensity workouts if im getting back into it but more high volume repetition.

- portable sauna to do breathing exercises in and just disappear from the world for a bit.

diet will always suck because if i eat healthy then my body fat drops too quick. cortizone shots quarterly have helped alot with my ankle pain due to joint damage from training injured.

Information is the key and it’s tough to get the right answers for you. I read a lot. Below is a link to one book that gets 99% of the topics we need to know covered. And, it’s delivered in make sense terms, verbiage and examples. If you are not doing intermittent fasting a couple a year, you are missing out on some great things. The author is the main owner of Onnit nutrition. Own the Day, Own Your Life: Optimized Practices for Waking, Working, Learning, Eating, Training, Playing, Sleeping, and Sex https://www.amazon.com/dp/0062684078/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_5GQ7XPFVYY39EHS99FR2

When my Dad died in 2018, I took my food and body care a lot more serious. I unfucked my sleeping and got my circadian rhythm in check. My food, my habits and my function are all as basic as a caveman. My hunting and fishing are more serious, because that’s my food. Don’t get me wrong the once a month pizza is delicious.

Slightly off topic but....been on the intermittent fasting deal for 2 to 3 years and its suits me as It removes the need to eat during productive hours lot of times will do a 20 hour and a 4 hour eat window when at home.i mention it because it immensely helps with energy I supplement with apple cider.

Actual Supps? used to believe in them now not so much

What was your test score on the blood work?

I've been on weekly test shots since my late 30's and It's not like you feel night and day better, you just feel normal again all the time. I was having energy issues, mood swings, and I had gained weight. Part of it was me being lazy in my late 30's, part of it was I had test scores in the low 200's. Nugenix doesn't fix this stuff, Those specialized test only clinics are out to sell you stuff not properly treat you and that said Test alone doesn't fix it either if you've developed bad habits. My Dr. is a urologist that specializes in hormones, I can provide you his info if interested.

What was your test score on the blood work?

I've been on weekly test shots since my late 30's and It's not like you feel night and day better, you just feel normal again all the time. I was having energy issues, mood swings, and I had gained weight. Part of it was me being lazy in my late 30's, part of it was I had test scores in the low 200's. Nugenix doesn't fix this stuff, Those specialized test only clinics are out to sell you stuff not properly treat you and that said Test alone doesn't fix it either if you've developed bad habits. My Dr. is a urologist that specializes in hormones, I can provide you his info if interested.

Weekly test? You inject yourself? Want to sell some? :lolguy:

I have had blood work done. Everything is good they said.

Get your test results and review them yourself. I started looking at my numbers and when I spoke to my primary Dr about some of them, I got the same "you are fine" answer.

Numbers looked off to me so I went to a Pulmonologist and after she reviewed the numbers she ordered a few more tests. Come to find out, my eosinophil count was through the roof.

Sometimes it takes your attention and the right doctor to look at the right things.

Slightly off topic but....been on the intermittent fasting deal for 2 to 3 years and its suits me as It removes the need to eat during productive hours lot of times will do a 20 hour and a 4 hour eat window when at home.i mention it because it immensely helps with energy I supplement with apple cider.

Actual Supps? used to believe in them now not so much

20/4 is so hard for most people. I just won $950 from a biggest loser contest being on 20/4. Hardly hit the workouts hard and did yoga and stretching. Lost 26lbs in 9 weeks.

It depends what kind of energy you are looking for.

Just general daily energy and feeling better, as others have said, diet and exercise.

If you need short-term energy in the morning or for a late project, etc. Dont waste your time with gas station energy drinks, Red Bull is not energy in a can. Get a true pre-workout drink or powder, C4 seems to be pretty available at most grocery stores. Vitamin Shoppe carries a few ready to drink brands in their cooler. I have a mix of powders I use in conjunction with sugar free Gatorade that get me so amped I can see thru time and space.

Are you wanting just short terms boost of energy?

Caffeine or Sudafed are the main choices or Adderall of you can get a prescription. Pretty much all energy drinks or supplements are just caffeine so I wouldn't waste money on costly ones

But to have permanent daily boost in energy your going to have to get your sleep in order and avoid those substances.

Like others are saying might have your test levels checked if your under 400ng/dl you might want to find a good Dr to prescribe, but it is a big decision cause lof you go on you really should stay on the rest of your life kind of thing and know the pros and cons.