Polaris RZR, West Virgina 2021 Trip, Disaster Central

cruizin01

Last years trip seemed to be a fun topic so I figure Id post about our trip this year.

We stayed at the same place down in Crumpler WV. Its near Ashland Resorts if anyones been there. We rented a Polaris RZR 1000 for 2.5 days. We planned to ride from Thursday afternoon through Saturday evening.

My brother and his step son picked us up early Thursday morning. Our tow vehicle was a 2007 2500 5.9 and a 20ft trailer carrying his 2 sxs's.

About 3 hrs into our trip we noticed the truck started to overheat anytime you'd pull a grade or slow down. We diagnosed it enough to determine the fan clutch wasnt locking up. Its eletric so either the ecm wasnt sending the signal or the clutch was worn out. We limped it about an hour from our destination to a napa store. I read around online that if you ground the orange wire itll lockup 100%. I thought if we could do this and then limp it to the house we could find a fan clutch and replace it.

We bought some wire and T taps and I set about riggy up a ground wire. We fire it up and nothing changes. Great! The clutch must be bad. We call around and figure out O'Reilly has the clutch and tools. We head down the street and realize now I have a check engine light and the truck wont shift out of first. :confused:.

nHHN92kl.jpg

Long story long, we check codes, I dig around online in the parking while its pouring rain to realize the circuit the clutch fan is on is completely down which has a trans solonoid of some sort as part of the circuit. Later on that weekend I realize that the orange wire isnt in the same location on both sides of the connector so the wire I grounded was the 5v reference from the ECU which doesnt have a fuse!! So I burned the step down resistor's inside the ECU. Grand!

We eventually figure out that the truck will shift from 1st to 4th at about 35mph. So we limp it the rest of the way to the house without burning it down on the way. We park the thing and decide to mess with it later on.

We get all the machines unloaded and settled. The weather cooperated and we decided to head out for a ride. Angela and I pickup our rental. There was 7 of us, 4 sxs's and a ATV.

20 minutes into our first ride a friends 800 started to shread a belt. We drove it until it stopped. We tow it back. Start making calls and tearing it apart. Found one not far and got it replaced. We rode for a couple hours without any other issues.

HG3TPMSl.jpg

Zv0dyn0l.jpg

The next morning I come up with a half a game plan for the truck. I was gonna try and rob the 5v source from another circuit and power the downed sensors. Later on we'll go back to the parts store to get some more supplies.

Friday we rode from about 8 a.m until about 2.30pm. Covering a lot of ground and having a good time.

bx88Lzdl.jpg

5xHIx0Dl.jpg

bkHYvnml.jpg

KBkDs1Fl.jpg

A couple fun videos. The first of my brothers step son and then me doing donuts in the mud.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QUZ3Rds3SFqJoey7RHa1tU_vI6Mxqafz/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IqJhyEhjP7NF5brpI0XV7hTM7DpSlSvg/view?usp=drivesdk

We decided to head back so we could get some parts to fix the truck, relax, and have some beverages. There is a quick uphill trail that every likes near our house so we decide to hit it one last time.

About half way up the hill, I hear a weird "WOOF" noise from behind me. i turn around to to find the back of the RZR on FIRE.

I immediately slam on the brakes, yell for Angela to get out. In my haste I forgot to put it in park so its still rolling and our bag with phones and wallets is between the seats. I run back up to it, out it in park and grab our gear and run clear of it. It got HOT quick.

qXk4gill.jpg

I call 911 and report the fire. The giy is giving me attitude because I cant tell him exactly where the trail is. I dont have any internet to even look. Long story short with the EMS, they Never showed up! Luckily it was wet enough that it didnt start the forest on fire. I called the rental company and reported what happen. He shows up and we stood their for 3hrs while he tried to figure out what to do. In hind site I would have just left and made the necessary calls.

OTbYB6Jl.jpg

TQCLL1Il.jpg

The wheel melted and started running down the hill.

LNiSwXgl.jpg

Fast forward to around 6pm. My brother and friend take the other tow vehicle (A jeep grand cherokee 4.7l) to the parts store to try and get stuff for our truck repair. On the way to the parts store the jeep started over heating. It puked some coolant while they were at the parts store. They thought it was a water pump so they picked one up. Drove back. Realized it was the upper hose. Took another 2 hr trip to swap parts. We eventually get it fixed.

I messed around with the Dodge and finally determined we were screwed. The 5v reference source must be tied to the circuits because now all my circuits have 11v instead of 5 and when I jumped a wire from one circuit to another everything goes crazy. So now we get to try and figure out how to get a truck and a trailer with 2 rzrs 350 miles back to Ohio. Sweet!

We come up with the idea that if we can find someone to rollback the truck and hitch up the trailer and all our gear that maybe the 7 of us can squeeze in the jeep and ride back to Ohio. This was after I tried to get a rental car but do to Covid they wont let you do a one way rental from state to state.. wtf!

We start calling around and finally found a towing company that will do the job. He said he would be overloaded and wanted to do it Saturday night. So we set out to loading everything we could in his truck and had it loaded around 8pm on saturday. $1500 for this tow.

bOszZarl.jpg

Somewhere in there we managed to get another rental and ride for a few hours in Saturday. So not all was lost. We still drank and ate and had some laughs.

Sunday morning we made the 7 hour trip home packed like sardines in a black on black jeep with no AC. The jeep struggled with its trailer and load but we made it.

2T8Ba3Pl.jpg

Sorry for the novel. Just thought id share what was a nightmare of a weekend. Almost comical because of everything that failed.

Polaris has released both my deposits so I dont expect to be on the hook for anything in regards to the failure.

Im sure im forgetting stuff.

This is exactly why people don't trust dem new-fangled computery stuffs. How am I supposed to fix that out on the trail?

Sounds like an interesting adventure, thanks for the writeup.

What was the SXS rental guys response to seeing his rzr burnt to a crisp?

He wasn't overly surprised. Said they'd had a couple of them over the past few years catch fire.

They dont actually own these machines. They are leased and insured through Polaris. So I dont think it affects them too much except they are down a unit until it gets replaced.

• 3 weeks later...
You're better than I am. Weekend would've been over for me as soon as I had truck trouble. I wouldn't have been able to have fun or sleep knowing my truck wasn't right so I'd have spent every minute getting that in order.

You're better than I am. Weekend would've been over for me as soon as I had truck trouble. I wouldn't have been able to have fun or sleep knowing my truck wasn't right so I'd have spent every minute getting that in order.

If it would have just been me or me and my wife I probably would have done just that. But it helped being in a group of other people, pushing to move forward and find solutions.