Tesla owners?

smokin5s

[*] 240v outlet is a must for charging.

With our 1st gen Volt only on the weekends did we have issues with how fast our 120vac 15 amp charged. That was an overall range issues VS charge rate, not a charge rate vs usage. The bigger battery will give more buffer for when you use faster than you can charge. With the Volt we usually had excess time to charge on the weekdays and not enough during the weekend day. But other times most people even on 'slow' charging will probably be able to charge more than they use. And the 'default' on Volt's is 8amps from a recall due to a fire; someone with shoddy wiring had a fire charging at 12amps. After that they had a software recall and you can then opt into 12amps EVERY time you turn the car off. I guess it all depends on how much you drive, how long you can charge at home overnight. But also having the HEV as backup, it didn't really matter if we ran out of juice.

Also, 3mph seems a tad low for 120vac @ 15(really 12) amps.

https://clippercreek.com/charging-times-chart/

Even at 3mph if your car sits at home on average only 12 hours per day you can get 13kmi of charging pre year in. But if it's closer to 5mph, that's closer to 22kmi/year. But when you run into that unaverage days or week where you are at home less, driving more, yeah, you might have a problem.

I think real usage on a day to day basis does highlight the need for charging infrastructure where people are at on a daily basis, shopping, grocery, work, etc. We are getting there.

I'm not trying to discount what you are saying too much, as I said there were definitely times where faster charging would have meant more EV usage. Times when charging at places other than home would have meant more EV usage. If/when we get a full EV, hopefully soon, we'll install (slight) faster charging; we can only do 240VAC@15amps for now with the current wiring that goes to our detached garage.

I’ve been watching the EV’s evolve and I’m patiently waiting to pull the trigger. I’m lucky as I have 240v/75a in my garage from the previous owner who did auto work so he was set up for a large compressor and welder. Once I see something that fits the bill, the wife’s daily will be an EV then after that I’ll wait for infrastructure development and a good long range. I travel too much now to wait but as rentals become more available or ev’s catch up I’ll switch too.

I bought my Model S last June with 44k miles on it, and I've put about 50k on it in the last year. Hands down the best car I've ever owned. The math for charging is VERY easy for my car; it has a 100kWH battery, and a 300 mile range. We pay $.091/kWH, so to go from 0-300 miles is that x100, or $9.10. Figure out what size battery you're looking at, what the range is, and what you pay per kWH for electricity.

Picked up a MY Long Range about a year ago. Overall great car and I would recommend.

Couple of things to note:

• Customer Service is pretty Crappy. Good news is you really shouldn't have to deal with them much after delivery.
  • Car was delivered with panel fitment issues, paint nibs, a stain on the headliner, and an issue with the cowl plastic. All were fixed by the Tesla dealer in Cincy. When fixing the cowl issue they actually dented the quarter panel from the inside and tried to deliver the car back to us this way. They also fixed that and provided a loaner.
  • Ride is fairly harsh - We have the upgraded wheels which probably don't help.
  • Aside from the issues above which are behind us, the car is fantastic.
  • Honestly haven't noticed an increase in electric if it is more than $20/month I would be surprised (My last electric bill was $120) - 12,000 miles/yr
  • 240v outlet is a must for charging. Will charge at 30mph, on 120 it is only 3mph
  • May sound weird, but aside from the stupid fast acceleration, the regen is my favorite as you can drive the car with one pedal. Rarely have to use the brakes.
  • Autopilot is nice, especially for highway driving.
  • Whatever tires came on it are terrible in the snow.
  • Never had an issue with Wifi

This is all accurate, but slightly different for me. Mine is the S (the S and X are similar), so I have the air suspension. The Y and the 3 have conventional suspension, which is firm, and a bit harsh. They are lower cost cars.

They buying experience leaves a lot to be desired. It's VERY frustrating. Expect to be left in the dark about key items.

For long drives, the autopilot is not just nice, but now (for me) irreplaceable. I have gone back to driving our van occasionnally and notice after a drive longer than one hour that I feel tired. This does NOT happen when driving on autopilot. A 10 hour drive feels like I haven't been driving. At all. Because I haven't.

I'd like to reiterate that the 240V charger is 100% necessary. I have the Tesla charger in the garage. Mine is the 3rd (I think?) gen, which connects to a 60A breaker. Whatever breaker you connect to will be continuous use, so you'll see 80% of it's value (in my case, 48A). 240V x 48A is 11.52kW, so it would take 8.68 hours to charge to 100%. Some previous versions could connect to 100A breakers (80A at continuous duty), 240x80 is 19.2kW, or 5.2 hours to fully charge from empty to 100%. If your electrical panel can support that much current, find an older charger. I wish we would have.

Any additional questions, feel free to ask.

I'm not saying your dad was wrong, but he was wrong. It was probably much closer to $200/year, at least on order of magnitude.

Volt usable battery = 14kWh

Range = 54mi

kWh/mile=14/54=0.259kWh/mi

Cost of electrics in NY=$0.199/kWh

Cost/mi=.0264kWh/mi*$0.199/kWh=$0.0516/mi

Miles for $200... $200/$0.052/mi=3876mi

3876mi/30days=129mi/day

129mi/day/54mi/charge=2.4 charges/day

or 33.5kWh

The Volt only has a 3.6kW charge in it, so it would have to be on the charger about 10 hours/day. And they he would have to drive it 129mi/day split in between 3 different drives. So, 50miles first thing in the morning, charge for 4 hours, drive another 30 miles at lunch, charge for another 2 hours, drive another 50 miles, charge another 4 hours (overnight).

Every Single Day. If he did that every day for years, good for him.

I'm not trying to give you or indirectly your dad too much grief. But people read about $200 electric bills from EV charging on the net take it as facts and will repeat it as part of why EVs are so terrible and will never work.

The wife had a Volt (2013? w/38mi range on EV) for 2+ years and with a 12 mile each way commute it was just about perfect. I don't think or electric bill went up enough to really notice, maybe $20/month give or take.

That car was replaced by a Suburban. A Suburban gets 17 mpg (combined use).

3876 miles per month costs $200 in NY

3876 at 17mpg is 228 gallons per month which costs $728.23/mo (at 3.194/gal)

The Suburban has been saving money (somehow).

And the 'default' on Volt's is 8amps from a recall due to a fire; someone with shoddy wiring had a fire charging at 12amps. After that they had a software recall and you can then opt into 12amps EVERY time you turn the car off.

Must have been a lot of someones. They are now on their second recall because the first recall didn't work. It would not make sense to recall 61,000 cars for the second time (69,000 the first time) due to shoddy wiring in people's homes. Changing the car would not fix the problem. The issue seems to be battery related. Hence why they are saying don't charge over 90%, don't deplete below 70 mile range, park it away from everything after charging, and don't charge it overnight. Some of the recent fires have had people injured from smoke inhalation. This points to a vehicle in use not charging.

I think EV have there place and that place will expand in the future but, it is still a developing technology. Both the vehicle/battery itself, and the infrastructure to support them.

Must have been a lot of someones. They are now on their second recall because the first recall didn't work. It would not make sense to recall 61,000 cars for the second time (69,000 the first time) due to shoddy wiring in people's homes. Changing the car would not fix the problem. The issue seems to be battery related. Hence why they are saying don't charge over 90%, don't deplete below 70 mile range, park it away from everything after charging, and don't charge it overnight. Some of the recent fires have had people injured from smoke inhalation. This points to a vehicle in use not charging.

I think EV have there place and that place will expand in the future but, it is still a developing technology. Both the vehicle/battery itself, and the infrastructure to support them.

Those fires are with the Bolt, not the Volt.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

That car was replaced by a Suburban. A Suburban gets 17 mpg (combined use).

3876 miles per month costs $200 in NY

3876 at 17mpg is 228 gallons per month which costs $728.23/mo (at 3.194/gal)

The Suburban has been saving money (somehow).

no the volt replaced the suburban. you got it backwards.

Those fires are with the Bolt, not the Volt.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

You are correct. My fault. I guess my reading was off. Probably caused by the fact that the Bolt is what is in the news lately. Combine that with the fact that the Volt was never recalled for that reason. They did do a "Customer Satisfaction Campaign" to add a brace to prevent fires after collisions. However, the point still stands, why would you do an expensive recall/campaign to reprogram a car to fix wiring in someone's house?