Help picking a laptop

Radio Flyer1647545514

Girlfriend wants a new laptop. She is pretty sure she wants a dell latitude with a 15" screen. She's looking at the Dell 5520 currently.

She needs to be able to run a second monitor while on zoom or whatever other video call service she might use and run excel and browse.

I don't want to buy something that's overkill.

Any suggestions.

Girlfriend wants a new laptop. She is pretty sure she wants a dell latitude with a 15" screen. She's looking at the Dell 5520 currently.

She needs to be able to run a second monitor while on zoom or whatever other video call service she might use and run excel and browse.

I don't want to buy something that's overkill.

Any suggestions.

I've got the family running 3 HP Elitebooks G3's Plenty of power for what your going to do and less than $350 usually. Kids use theirs for school meetings and games. I use mine for IT work and running my business.

I have a Dell Vostro 5390 with Windows 10 Professional. Got it a couple years ago and it has been flawless. When I was shopping I made damn sure I bought something with Windows PRO instead of the regular version. WAYYYYYY better than the last few laptops I had before this. Pretty much anything with regular Windows always ends up being a POS with all the extra bloatware bullshit.

I'm guessing just about anything you get will do what she wants. So I would focus on finding a brand/line/model with good reliability history or ratings. I don't have much beyond using ThinkPad's at work and they are (really) good. But I'm sure there are other options out there that are also good.

Full HDMI port is nice for external monitor, but maybe most are that way now? For a while it was VGA, then display port, then mini-display port. Maybe there was another one in there. Needing adaptors, a different one every time I got a new PC, can be a pain if you're moving around the laptop much. Regular old full sized HDMI seems much easier. Though I imagine if/when everything goes USB-C laptops may only have that and you'll need

I spilled water on mine (ThinkPad) earlier this year, and it's got the supposed spill resistant setup; water resistant keyboard and draining chassis. It took the keyboard out, but they are easy to replace, and the laptop itself after drying out for a weekend was fine. We move around a lot including getting in and out of and driving around (sometimes aggressively) cars. Some people do that basically for most of their job and/or travel a lot. I used to do cold chamber testing. These things are solid in that environment, so I trust them just about anywhere. IMHO if you need a ToughPad at this point you're just abusing the device. I'm sure they have their use cases, especially if it's a 'must work' situation.