Dead Man Walking - Another (potential) victim of the economy

Disclaimer

Same thing at my work they let go the weak ones. so far they fired or forced buyouts on over 400 people. Lean and mean. Hey if you want when they fire the team of dumb ass engineers in my dept you can come work where I do. They were told they had to optimize the new flux line they put in under 24 weeks or they were fired. well this line was thrown in way to quick and breaks all the time they are f'ed.

Glad to hear you survived the gauntlet' date=' Justin. Hopefully you can dodge the rest of the bullets that are prolly coming soon.

I gots a little sumpin-sumpin in the works for employment. I'm thinking I don't want to work for other people anymore. I'm over that shit. Fo' rizzle!! :cool:[/quote']

You're my hero. Good luck. That's MY dream, to not to work for someone else.

Thanks again for the support folks and folkettes

Good luck to both of you on that.

Having your own thing is a very rewarding experience.

However, its not as easy as it looks, and you'll never ever work harder.

Make sure you have a workable business plan, and enough money to see everything through. The biggest cause of new business failure is a lack of capital.

I'm not afraid of long hours and hard work. I actually like them as long as the work is rewarding. I'm convinced I have found a way to tend to a neglected part of the market.

Start up capital is there and I have other capital to fall back on. This is going to start as a part time gig until I see whether or not it takes off like I think it will.

Plus' date=' I'd really love to prove that it can be done. The dream can still be achieved through hard work and perseverance. Call me sappy, but I still believe in this 'land of opportunity.'[/quote']

It's not just long hours and hard work, but I'm sure you know that. Keep in mind that often times it isnt rewarding at all. Not even close.

Hopefully you've developed a good business plan before you even start it part time. Personally I think doing something "part time until it takes off" is a big mistake. You really don't get an accurate picture of what a business is capable of doing it that way. Also, just because you're making $50 dollars doing it 20 hours a week doesnt necessarily translate to $100 doing it 40 hours a week - know what I mean?

Be careful doing something "just to prove it can be done". There are many things that can be done, but not so many that actually put food on the table. Trust me, the dream takes much more than hard work and perseverance.

Talk to people who are successful doing similar things. They are a wealth of information. I've been doing that for years. Talk to people that are successful doing other things too. Some of the best things I've learned (business wise) have come from people who's businesses are totally different than mine.

Ok...I'll get off my soapbox now...