Preload and Suspension Adjustment ?

MattKatz

I have to agree.. Setting the sag first is the most important and then the rebound and compression are used to adjust for more handling specific issues.

Totally agree flounder, but he won't be setting sag first probably.

Oh and Campus Racer, I'm not bitching at you, so don't take it that way dude.;) I meant it about the coming down here with some friends sometime and hit some twisties though. A few have, you too should make the trip sometime. :cool:

Edited by NinjaNick

lol...good analogy up top.

BUT! The rider weight really affects the rate at which the suspension bounces back after compression and vice versa. Just like if you were benching 200lbs, you can throw it back up a lot faster than if you were benching 300lbs. Less weight on you bike, quicker it'll bounce back. Like my 636 never had the SAG set, just compression, rebound, and dampening set, and it was STIFF. It moved when I sat on it, and when a light person sat on it, it wouldn't BUDGE. It was like a ROCK to them. My riding over bumps, etc is much better since I've tweaked my shit.

I am all for sag set at 25-35mm and will have mine done when I got the time. I'm going 27mm.

I'm not arguing, I'm just saying. :cheers:

This is exactly what I'm trying to get at.

When you sat on the bike it went down rapidly, but when your light friend does it moves down slowly. It'll still move down since you haven't adjusted the stiffness of the spring just the rate at which it moves.

If you took that same bike and backed out the compression completely, you and your friend will still end up at the same respective points, you'll just get there faster.

Lets say a 200lb person is on a pogo stick with the compression maxed out. They make the spring compress 2". Now a 100lb hops on and the spring compresses 1".

Now take all of the compression out and the 200lb guy still makes the spring compress 2" and the 100lb guy 1", but they move the spring faster.

Totally agree flounder, but he won't be setting sag first probably.

Oh and Campus Racer, I'm not bitching at you, so don't take it that way dude.;) I meant it about the coming down here with some friends sometime and hit some twisties though. A few have, you too should make the trip sometime. :cool:

No worries mang:cheers:

This is exactly what I'm trying to get at.

When you sat on the bike it went down rapidly, but when your light friend does it moves down slowly. It'll still move down since you haven't adjusted the stiffness of the spring just the rate at which it moves.

If you took that same bike and backed out the compression completely, you and your friend will still end up at the same respective points, you'll just get there faster.

Lets say a 200lb person is on a pogo stick with the compression maxed out. They make the spring compress 2". Now a 100lb hops on and the spring compresses 1".

Now take all of the compression out and the 200lb guy still makes the spring compress 2" and the 100lb guy 1", but they move the spring faster.

Understood, which is why I have it tweaked. I get your point, so you do realize that it helps doing that for my weight, because the suspension is handling my weight better when it compresses and rebounds. Therefore, making it a better ride for my weight.

I understand the SAG would make it even better. I do have my 14's sag set a bit stiffer honestly, but I haven't done any measuring yet, because I just did it myself. I just know it should move alot from the stock setting, so I moved the rings a good amount from it.:cool:

Edited by NinjaNick

Mr. Matt Katz! If you purchase springs, here's a good link or 2 with a calculator for your weight and your bike.

www.racetech.com

Product for your bike

That calculator is AWESOME! I'm picking some up!

Here's the info I got for you..

Rider Weight: 245 lbs.

FRONT FORK SPRINGS

Recommended Fork Spring Rate for Street: 0.973 kg/mm (use closest available)

Stock Fork Spring Rate: .83* kg/mm (stock)

Available FRSP S3627 Series Springs are:

FRSP S3627100 RT FRK SPR 35.5x33.5x270 1.0kg $109.99

REAR SHOCK SPRING

Recommended Rear Shock Spring Rate for Street: 11.60 kg/mm (use closest available)

Stock Shock Spring Rate: 11.0 kg/mm (stock)

Edited by NinjaNick

Mr. Matt Katz! If you purchase springs, here's a good link or 2 with a calculator for your weight and your bike.

www.racetech.com

Product for your bike

That calculator is AWESOME! I'm picking some up!

Here's the info I got for you..

Rider Weight: 245 lbs.

FRONT FORK SPRINGS

Recommended Fork Spring Rate for Street: 0.973 kg/mm (use closest available)

Stock Fork Spring Rate: .83* kg/mm (stock)

Available FRSP S3627 Series Springs are:

FRSP S3627100 RT FRK SPR 35.5x33.5x270 1.0kg $109.99

REAR SHOCK SPRING

Recommended Rear Shock Spring Rate for Street: 11.60 kg/mm (use closest available)

Stock Shock Spring Rate: 11.0 kg/mm (stock)

He could also put a .95 in one fork and a 1.0 in the other and that will give him .975 which is as close to .973 he is going to get.

Setting SAG is a must starting point. When you attempt to do this and you have to crank your preload to the stops it will verify that you need heavier springs.Do not screw with your compression and rebound settings until you have SAG sorted out, then get some advice on the matter.)

Preload can not and will not change spring rate it is impossible. It will only change the point at which the spring begins to move possibly causing chatter issues etc. Watch Dave Moss, read some stuff from Thermos man.... there is a ton of good information out there if you are unsure of which of us to listen to.

Thanks for some of the links guys....

I might give the guys at 35 motorsports a call and see what it might run to get done right.

Also...Nick....from what I gather from your links...I assume I am close enough on the stock rear spring that it will be OK?

Just needs set up properly?

And as far as reading....Bah....Thats for the birds.

I am not trying to take tests, go to school or educate others....I just want my suspension to work right with me....I don't want to read any novels to get it there.

I hate to read....plain and simple.

Where the video version or books on tape.....That as close to reading as I will get.