OH Ranked #2 in Worst State to Drive In This Memorial Day

jarvismb

Average speed of drivers has increased while accidents and fatalities have gone down (percentage wise). All statistics show speed is not the cause of the overwhelming majority of accidents. If speeding was so dangerous the fine would be enough to make you REALLY think about it, not just inconvenienced. We are being fleeced.

Uh oh, forgot how sheep references are taken around here . . .

Edit . . . Nick chopped his post . . . guess I'll wait for a PM if mine needs it too.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Average speed of drivers has increased while accidents and fatalities have gone down (percentage wise). All statistics show speed is not the cause of the overwhelming majority of accidents. If speeding was so dangerous the fine would be enough to make you REALLY think about it, not just inconvenienced. We are being fleeced.

You think people would still be putting on makeup and reading the paper in their vehicles if the speed limit was increased?

I think raising the limit would force people to get a little more scared and a lot more attentive when they're behind the wheel (instead of complacent enough to shave, read, eat,etc), and keep the people who couldn't hang with the rest OFF the roads, they're the most dangerous anyway.

Edit . . . Nick chopped his post . . . guess I'll wait for a PM if mine needs it too.

nah.. you're not like "FTP!!!" etc. You're just saying that the system is flawed. I agree, it doesn't seem like speeding tickets are given for safety reasons so much as it is for money reasons

You think people would still be putting on makeup and reading the paper in their vehicles if the speed limit was increased?

Raise the limit? Where did I say that?

Don't change the law, it's perfect. Prima Facie is a reasonable way of writing the law, but the interpretation varies wildly between LEO's (and unfortunately judges I've talked to). By legal definition going above the posted speed is prima facie (assumed or at first glance) to be illegal based on that roads condition. Higher speeds are allowed for if they are "reasonable" and allow you safe distance to stop or maneuver if needed.

It's a tax with lipstick on it.

Now whaddya got JRMii(i)?

I proposed the increase. You never said it.

I just hypothesize that if you raised the speed limits and people were allowed to drive 100mph everywhere, that you'd have a lot more people paying attention.

Lead, follow, TITS or GTFO!

Why don't we go a step further and let people drive on whatever side of the road they feel like? I know I'd be highly attentive if I wasn't sure a random person would come flying at me.

What about random, intentional potholes? Serpentine roads (at least that'd be awesome for motorcyclists)?

What do you think the chances would be that you'd see another person doing anything other than focusing on the road?

Ok, really silly examples, but in order to get people to tay appention you gotta think outside the box sometimes. ;)

I tell you what. Cops cluster up highways more than anyone. Traffic will be flowing nicely with many people doing different speeds which keeps traffic moving much better than everyone bunching up going 65mph. A cop will be traveling in the passing lane at 65mph with a WALL of vehicles stuck behind him because nobody can pass his ass, so he clusters the whole fucking road making it more dangerous. Half the time I feel like yelling, "GTFO of the way!".

Also, I noticed yesterday because of the police enforcement being pushed that when everyone is doing the speed limit, everyone gets crammed. Road travel is more efficient and less harmful when people aren't bunched up. And what prevents that??....Everyone doing different speeds!

They're too dumb to realize all this shit.

I tell you what. Cops cluster up highways more than anyone. Traffic will be flowing nicely with many people doing different speeds which keeps traffic moving much better than everyone bunching up going 65mph. A cop will be traveling in the passing lane at 65mph with a WALL of vehicles stuck behind him because nobody can pass his ass, so he clusters the whole fucking road making it more dangerous. Half the time I feel like yelling, "GTFO of the way!".

And I love how people will be moving right along at 70mph or so, see a cop, then slow down to 55 or 60! WTF?? :wtf:

^^Oh yeah, the ones that go way under the speed limit because they're afraid to pass a cop when he is going under the limit.

Or when the person is doing the speed limit and they automatically hit the brakes when they see a cop, but they weren't even speeding in the first place. :nono:

^^Oh yeah, the ones that go way under the speed limit because they're afraid to pass a cop when he is going under the limit.

Or when the person is doing the speed limit and they automatically hit the brakes when they see a cop, but they weren't even speeding in the first place. :nono:

yea but it's those guys that alert me to the presence of a cop. I'm always on the lookout for brake lights in the traffic ahead of me, not only for people who are slowing down, but if every one is hitting them then there is probably a cop; this helps when your going around long bends as well, and has saved my ass more than once.

yea but it's those guys that alert me to the presence of a cop. I'm always on the lookout for brake lights in the traffic ahead of me, not only for people who are slowing down, but if every one is hitting them then there is probably a cop; this helps when your going around long bends as well, and has saved my ass more than once.

+1