Amazing save...

demitrix

what exactly causes a tank slapper?

Catching air under the wheel and it hitting anyways but straight. Also accelerating really hard over uneven pavement. Lots of things can cause them honestly. Next time riding, shake your bars a little bit at speed and you'll feel uneasy. Now imagine that x10. They can get pretty violent.

I've experienced so many tankslappers while hitting corners or accelerating over bad asphalt that it's an uneasy experience.

I need to purchase a steering damper.

Edited by NinjaNick

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Meh I've seen Jarvis do that.
I don't know who Jarvis is, so now I feel out of the loop :(

that would be me, and mine wasn't as much knee, had way more air, and there was a lot more off-road involved......

lol good luck with that

Here you go Mr. Know It All

"Described simply, a tankslapper is rapid oscillations of your front wheel, casued by a bump in the road that suddenly gererates lots of energy. You may get a 'slapper landing a wheelie crossed up or by gassing hard over some painted chevrons, cats-eyes, or just down a bumpy lane.

The sheer viloence of a slapper makes it difficult to know what to do. Initially, the things you SHOULD NOT DO are important. You should not try and control the slapper with your hands - your reactions are too slow and may amplify the furious flapping. Tensing up only makes the a tankslapper worse, as there's no way your arms can soak up the forsces quick enough, and you may end up making the oscillations worse. Braking isn't a good idea either, as the last thing the front-end needs is more weight on it. Off-road experience helps becasue gassing a bike through the slapper, thereby transferring weight to the rear of the bike, to the point at which the front wheel is lifted off the ground, is the tried-and-tested method of escpaing. After its all finished, make sure to pump your brakes because there's a strong chance that your pads will have been knocked out of their calipers."

Taken from "How to attack panic", an article from Fast Bikes magazine.

MJ/Nick - you guys suck. that is all.

and IP's right, it says pretty much that exact thing almost the entire time you read Twist of the Wrist 2. Over and over again throughout the chapters.

Here you go Mr. Know It All

"Described simply, a tankslapper is rapid oscillations of your front wheel, casued by a bump in the road that suddenly gererates lots of energy. You may get a 'slapper landing a wheelie crossed up or by gassing hard over some painted chevrons, cats-eyes, or just down a bumpy lane.

The sheer viloence of a slapper makes it difficult to know what to do. Initially, the things you SHOULD NOT DO are important. You should not try and control the slapper with your hands - your reactions are too slow and may amplify the furious flapping. Tensing up only makes the a tankslapper worse, as there's no way your arms can soak up the forsces quick enough, and you may end up making the oscillations worse. Braking isn't a good idea either, as the last thing the front-end needs is more weight on it. Off-road experience helps becasue gassing a bike through the slapper, thereby transferring weight to the rear of the bike, to the point at which the front wheel is lifted off the ground, is the tried-and-tested method of escpaing. After its all finished, make sure to pump your brakes because there's a strong chance that your pads will have been knocked out of their calipers."

Taken from "How to attack panic", an article from Fast Bikes magazine.

lol mr know it all .... funny kid funny. do some research . thats the myth that increasing speed will bring back the harmonic balance.

What are we debating here again?

"There's more than one way to skin a cat", just like there's more than one way to get out of a tank slapper.

I prefer the arm lockout + throttle apply. But, others prefer the lowside, highside, or 'over the bars' method of recovering from a tank slapper. I'm not going to try and advise people out of their preferred methods, they have their reasons - maybe they desire to see their doctor, or perhaps they want to continually test attackpainters skills? I'm not here to judge.

man why can no one have a mature discussion on here. me myself . i am not gonna recommend to NEW motorcyclists to accelerate in a tank slap . there is alot of reasons they occur not just loss of traction. fastbike mag might have engineers working and produced that article.... but id gomore with the engineers that deal with the manufacture and nature of a motorcycle.

man why can no one have a mature discussion on here. me myself . i am not gonna recommend to NEW motorcyclists to accelerate in a tank slap . there is alot of reasons they occur not just loss of traction. fastbike mag might have engineers working and produced that article.... but id gomore with the engineers that deal with the manufacture and nature of a motorcycle.

No see Fast Bikes andother motorcycle magazines hire people that have no experience with motorcycles, people who don't have the slightest idea of how to ride but know how to search the interent for subject matter and then pass that off as thier own ideas after misinterpreting everything they just read.

I think you would have a bright future being a motorcycle journalist if that were true.

ok im dropping it , next tank slap you encounter ... as i said good luck with that. i dont attack i respond. i was not attacking anyone in this post . i have been riding longer than some here have breathed , and from exsperience i know tank slaps are not allways a accelerate to solve process. we are here as mature adults , and having discussions. we dont have to agree. and i choose not to attack personally . IT IS WHAT IT IS . the net. lol lets have a discussion during a ride and im sure we will all have a little more respect towards eachother ...lol