tachometer

that dude

my tachometers needle is pinned all the way to max rpms which i think is like 6 or 7K. i have taken the positive+ negative , and 2 other wires off and plugged them back in on the back of the tach. the needle is still pinned, and i have no idea why. i tried tapping on the gauge and still no luck..is their a wire that goes from the tach to the distributor or computer?. btw this isnt on a car or bike rather my boat. thinking its a bad tach, i have posted on my boat forums as well.

when you disconnect the wires I assume the needle drops?

inboard or outboard motor? from my understanding outboard tachs are basically just a magic 8-ball based off motor information, so that narrows down your issue a bit....

inboard, sorry no ideas :(

if the needle is stuck with no resistance going through the wires it sounds like a phsyical problem with the needle or the inner workings....

assuming you don't have one of dem dere fancy liquid filled gauages can you take the pack off and try moving the needle? you tell me, this may be a really dumb idea lol

I had a tach go wacky, that pinned all the way over. It was trying to get back to the low end, and swinging through the high end was the shortest path. I know that sounds goofy, but I had a short in the electrical system, and it had been swinging all over the place. I took it apart and gently moved it back to zero, and put it back together. It worked fine when restarted. I have no idea if this is relevant to the condition of your tach.

I had a tach go wacky, that pinned all the way over. It was trying to get back to the low end, and swinging through the high end was the shortest path. I know that sounds goofy, but I had a short in the electrical system, and it had been swinging all over the place. I took it apart and gently moved it back to zero, and put it back together. It worked fine when restarted. I have no idea if this is relevant to the condition of your tach.

will try this before i order a new one