My GSXR may be sick, diagnosis anyone?

PrincessPratt

Well last night I was out with a few friends and we were waiting in some traffic to get on the highway. In first gear my bike was sputtering a bit then all of a sudden it started stalling. It did it 3 times and I was able to get it restarted quickly but the 4th time it wouldn't restart and I was holding up traffic quite a bit. I thought it might have "overheated" seeing we were in traffic but I have been westbound on broad street several times stuck in MUCH worse traffic. Then as I was pulling into my subdivision last night she started sputtering again. I kept it reved up so she wouldn't stall and got her into the garage safely. Soooo after all that I'm sure I need to get it into the shop for some diagnostics??? Does anyone have any idea what may be the issue at hand from what I just wrote? I've never had any issues with my bike.

And if I do need to get her into the shop....who do you guys trust with your babies in the CBus area??? Meaning who will do good work and not keep my bike for weeks on end. ;)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is your Idle set at?

It could also be a clogged fuel pump filter.

Something as simple as Synching your Throttle Bodies.

Stock or does it have a Power Commander?

But from the sound it is a fueling issue and those generally tend to be in the Fuel filter, fuel pump, or throttle bodies.

The only other possibility is it needs new Spark plugs, but you would notice issue also at higher RPM.

Pratt, Sorry to hear that. You know what happened right?! Your bike heard you talking about how cool you thought that custom bike was. Your bike is currently depressed. :)

Jk, I hope it's back and running like a top soon!

what year GSXR? Did the fI light come on? how many miles on her?

Yes the F1 light has been coming on since I purchased her from Ask. The techs said this was an issue with all GSXR's and it's nothing to worry about. It's a 2006 with almost 6K on her. Oh I guess I could have also told you the white light below the odo kept coming on and off last night when I pulled into the subdivision.

Is she safe to ride b/c we were hitting triple digits on the highway right after this happened. Stupid I know BUT I've barely had her out this year. :confused:

Pratt, Sorry to hear that. You know what happened right?! Your bike heard you talking about how cool you thought that custom bike was. Your bike is currently depressed. :)

Jk, I hope it's back and running like a top soon!

I know right??? I LOVED those Vrods. I've been thinking about them all night long. I think I'm gonna make a run to a harley dealship just look start asking about pricing. :)

What is your Idle set at?

It could also be a clogged fuel pump filter.

Something as simple as Synching your Throttle Bodies.

Stock or does it have a Power Commander?

But from the sound it is a fueling issue and those generally tend to be in the Fuel filter, fuel pump, or throttle bodies.

The only other possibility is it needs new Spark plugs, but you would notice issue also at higher RPM.

Ok so I'm kinda a dumb girl when it comes to the tech stuff on my bike. Unfortunately I seemed to always have been married to or dated someone who knew what was wrong with whatever bike I had. Now being very single I don't know. I just had a friend change the oil and do some other spec stuff to it b/f my last track day. Soo after all that I don't know what my idle is set at. It's completely stock.

Some K6 models did have issues with FI light stock, and I think it had to do with the Cat converter on the bike.

Was it running as normal at the higher speeds or did it seem off?

If plugs were fouled up it would feel like it was sick all the time.

What happnes when you just Pin the throttle real quick, does it jump or does it hesitate?

HAve you ever replaced the battery? if the fI light comes on it can tell you where to start looking.

That is a another possibility if it isn't producing enough Amps at Idle to keep it running.

Princess at idle Does the instrument panel seem to dim and then brighten up when you give it throttle?

Some K6 models did have issues with FI light stock, and I think it had to do with the Cat converter on the bike.

Was it running as normal at the higher speeds or did it seem off?

If plugs were fouled up it would feel like it was sick all the time.

What happnes when you just Pin the throttle real quick, does it jump or does it hesitate?

It was only as slow speeds in 1st gear only. It does hesitate when I hit the throttle. I'm so sad!!!! I was gonna ride her to Lima today for my Uncle's retirement party and now I have to drive b/c I don't feel safe with her. :(

That is a another possibility if it isn't producing enough Amps at Idle to keep it running.

Princess at idle Does the instrument panel seem to dim and then brighten up when you give it throttle?

No I've never had to replace the battery although I've let it die quite a few times b/c I always seem to leave the lights on. The IP is bright all the time.

It was only as slow speeds in 1st gear only. It does hesitate when I hit the throttle. I'm so sad!!!! I was gonna ride her to Lima today for my Uncle's retirement party and now I have to drive b/c I don't feel safe with her. :(

I had a similar issue on my K3 when I got hard on the gas it would hesitate (bog down) but it would idle

The issue was the tank had rusted some and the fuel filter (inside the gas tank for the Fuel Pump) had clogged up with the bits of rust. I cleaned the filter and it was fine from then on.

That's not a true statement. If the FI light is illuminated that means something is wrong. Sometimes it is a simple fix and wouldn't otherwise hurt the bike but your case seems to be different.

Do not put SeaFoam in your bike' date=' either. 'Mechanic in a can' is not the way to service a fuely bike.

White light?? Do you mean the big shift light under the speedometer LCD?[/quote']

That's the light...u know I'm a complete ditz when it comes to this stuff Paul!!!! And honestly I didn't know what seafoam was so I just left it alone.

Before you run this thing into a shop I would have a few buddies over to look at it. Just look over the simple stuff with them and then you'll know how to as well. There is a way to pull the FI light if I'm not mistaken and I would suggest NGK plugs from AutoZone (yes they stock them and they aren't outrageously overpriced like at Pony) ;)

Before you run this thing into a shop I would have a few buddies over to look at it. Just look over the simple stuff with them and then you'll know how to as well. There is a way to pull the FI light if I'm not mistaken and I would suggest NGK plugs from AutoZone (yes they stock them and they aren't outrageously overpriced like at Pony) ;)

I try not to overwork my buddies too much anymore. Hence the reason for electrical tape around my turning signal that got cut in half at the track. And I don't think any of my close riding buddies would know where to start with this one. :confused:

I've asked that question 2 times in this thread. I need a referral for a reputable shop that's NOT going to keep my bike for weeks on end!

I know there are people up in CBUS who could help and take your tank off and check the Fuel Filter out for you. It is as simple as draining the tank, take it off then take out the fuel pump on the bottom.

And while the tank is off take the airbox off and check the Spark plugs.