starting to get the track itch..have two options...

Dubguy85

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can't hang with a 600 at Mid-Ohio on an SV with decent suspension then the bike is not the problem. There are plenty of riders pulling super fast laps on SV650s. A bigger bike will only make you a shitty rider. You'll find yourself relying on the power to drop lap times instead of corner speed. Start small and move up from there.

I'd buy an SV because they are super cheap even with track mods. They are reliable' date=' light, agile and fun to ride. Plus, what's better than handing a liter rider his ass while on a 75 horsepower twin??[/quote']

This is a true story!

Although going fast in the straights and using horsepower is fun. That is not what the track is about. The track is about railing the corners. No less.

Whatever you do. You'll have fun. Coming off your street bikes the SV650 might feel slow but like he said. laptimes have WAY more to do with the rider than the bike. Especially when you are new. You can probably find 4 cylinder bikes for $2500 also but whether they are really ready to go to the track may or may not be true. It's gonna depend on the seller and your adversity to risk. Any bike you buy off a wera guy I'd be sure and go through for your own safety. They haven't been treated the same as a street bike.

here is what I'd suggest:

your repsol is only a repsol because of plastics. Therefore, remove said valuable plastics, and put them up on a wall somewhere and get track plastics for the CBR. but that'll be something you'll have to decide for yourself cause i think i'd kill myself tracking a cbr1000rr but who knows.

if that won't work, just suck it up and buy a 600 or 650 from somewhere and get it track ready and go riding. doesn't your dad do track and/or racing? just steal one of his. tell him it's for his own safety.

here is what I'd suggest:

your repsol is only a repsol because of plastics. Therefore, remove said valuable plastics, and put them up on a wall somewhere and get track plastics for the CBR. but that'll be something you'll have to decide for yourself cause i think i'd kill myself tracking a cbr1000rr but who knows.

if that won't work, just suck it up and buy a 600 or 650 from somewhere and get it track ready and go riding. doesn't your dad do track and/or racing? just steal one of his. tell him it's for his own safety.

his dad is fast from what i understand. his dad would take the lesser of a bike catch him and kick him off the bike he took :lol:

If you have to put that much money and work into an sv, why wouldn't you just buy the gsxr? I agree that would be a fun setup, but maybe I'm just too lazy to want to change that much stuff for little result compared to putting the same $ in the gsxr..

Just my 2 cents

thats maybe two hours of work... wow. haha. and money... well if he didnt have money he wouldnt be buying another bike.

SV1k... not a bad move. But heavier.

Further, why does anyone care what this guy spends his money on. So he has a repsol and a 1098 and wants a track bike. If he can afford it who cares. This isn't a financial advice forum. He's here to talk about bikes. If I had nice and scary fast street bikes I wouldn't really want to track them either.

If it was me, I'd sell the repsol and get ready to take it up the ass getting a track bike set up. No matter what you do its gonna cost a little money if you want to set up your track bike right so just prepare to not only spend some money but also develop and addiction to the track. However you'll find some satisfaction in actually using some of the potential of one of these bikes rather than riding it around on the street where you really just can't even experience what one of these bikes can do.

Gixxie 750 is right, once you start doing this you probably won't ride on the street as much anyway.

Further, why does anyone care what this guy spends his money on. So he has a repsol and a 1098 and wants a track bike. If he can afford it who cares. This isn't a financial advice forum. He's here to talk about bikes. If I had nice and scary fast street bikes I wouldn't really want to track them either.

cuz he asked :p

I could trade you my wrecked RC51 and you can make that a liter track bike :) Oh wait, thats kinda what Im in the process of. Well, this winter that is...

And I agree with what Zorro or someone said, tracking it takes all the fun out of the street. I no longer give 2 shits to ride anywhere, except the track. And yes, thats after I ate shit on it.

my friend have 07 repsol 1000 ,and 1198s.he transfer the repsol to track bike.i make my 996 track bike after i got 848.why buy some wreck bike when i can use one of mine and know the bike history and know there is nothing wrong with the bike.

oh i see so no more fun down in hocking riding with us?

I could trade you my wrecked RC51 and you can make that a liter track bike :) Oh wait, thats kinda what Im in the process of. Well, this winter that is...

And I agree with what Zorro or someone said, tracking it takes all the fun out of the street. I no longer give 2 shits to ride anywhere, except the track. And yes, thats after I ate shit on it.

id rock a sv650 fo sho! Just get a gsxr front end on it and a penske rear and call it a day

i know where one could find an sv just like that!

$2800

also, big +1 on rider ability over bike displacement.

Edited by jhaag

SV ftw..parts are dirt cheap and easily found. Fun factor is better too. And you could do what yota said, gixxer front end or just build the stock forks! if i was to get a full size track/race bike it would be a SV650 or RS125 no doubt.

Edited by exSRAaron