Computer issue.

mrbret

That would be cool Satan. I am off work from 8:30am & back in at 10pm.

I'll be heading over to see Stefan (with the R1-LE) about 7pm. He is pretty close to Kickstand pub area.

Where do you live? just PM me if you like, i'll be on here till 8:30 now.

I need it to try a boot disk on a friends PC that is one of the HP slimline things with no 3.5" drive.

I thought of that but it does not seem as easy as doing it with the 3.5" drive. I guess the PC looks at the 3.5 drive before the hard drive but not so with the CD-ROM.

From what I can find you need to change the BIOS setting or something & I dont want to mess about to much with all that.

They are getting the PC replaced under by HP & they just need a couple of files off there before they send it back to HP.

I wish I could just plug a USB cable from my PC to that one & copy stuff that way.

If you can PM me the step by step of how to do it with a CD then that would be cool.

Assume I have the stuff that would be on the 3.5 disk on a CD already, then what...............

well what exactly are you booting from the floppy? usually people just change the bios to boot up windows install disk.

to change the boot drive, you need to go into bios using whatever key they tell you to press, usually the delete key. a blue screen will come up with some options and menus and things. what youre looking for is the option where it specifies the primary boot device. its usually on one of the major menus like "system" or so. i havent been in my bios for a while so i forget the terminology. so when you find the primary boot device it will usually say "floppy", another indicator that you found the correct option. the floppy will also be referred to as "1.44" disk drive" sometimes so watch out. you simply change that option to CDROM and save and quit and voila. it should recognize when you have a CD inserted during boot and tell you to press any key to boot from disk. then you press any key.

depending on what youre trying to do will determine what you need to do with the data from the floppy.

well what exactly are you booting from the floppy? usually people just change the bios to boot up windows install disk.

to change the boot drive, you need to go into bios using whatever key they tell you to press, usually the delete key. a blue screen will come up with some options and menus and things. what youre looking for is the option where it specifies the primary boot device. its usually on one of the major menus like "system" or so. i havent been in my bios for a while so i forget the terminology. so when you find the primary boot device it will usually say "floppy", another indicator that you found the correct option. the floppy will also be referred to as "1.44" disk drive" sometimes so watch out. you simply change that option to CDROM and save and quit and voila. it should recognize when you have a CD inserted during boot and tell you to press any key to boot from disk. then you press any key.

depending on what youre trying to do will determine what you need to do with the data from the floppy.

Sorry I have to... Where's the "any" key:lol::lol:

If I remember correctly, to access the BIOS on an HP machine you hit F2 at the initial boot screen. Not sure about the newer ones, but the old HP's had like 5 main menu options... One of them should be "BOOT". Select that one by using the arrow keys, then you should be able to adjust the boot priority... Save and exit... You should be coolio at that point... Of course, only if you are using a bootable CD... That's a whole other conversation though...