Almost Bit It!

buxnut

Sorry to those who don’t like the Twitterish type posts but I had a near miss (my first) on my way in to work this morning and I wanted to share.

I was heading South on Africa Road coming up to County Line Rd just North of Westerville. I was behind a black Escalade and we were all running at 35-40 mph when all of a sudden, without warning he swerves over to the left turn lane and all I see is stopped traffic. I grab both brakes, locking the rear wheel, skidding toward the back end of some red car (couldn’t make out what it was, all I saw were brake lights), somehow managed to swerve over into the 12 inches of gutter on the right hand side of the red car coming to a stop next to the passenger door of the red car. Kept the bike up and didn’t hit anything, thankfully. Thought I was going to have go home and change my undies at first. Once I regained normal pulse and respiratory activities, I still had to sit on the side of the road and calm my nerves for a good five minutes. Still cant get it out of my head. I guess that emergency swerve training at the MSF course paid off! Best $25 I have ever spent!!

Thanks for reading!

Bill

Why do they call them near misses anyway?? it was more like a near HIT!! If two things collide, then you can say "They nearly Missed."

Bonus points for who can tell me the source.

Bill

Why do they call them near misses anyway?? it was more like a near HIT!! If two things collide, then you can say "They nearly Missed."

Bonus points for who can tell me the source.

Bill

George Carlin.:D

Glad you made it out ok from your near hit... I know the feeling.

...I was behind a black Escalade and we were all running at 35-40 mph when all of a sudden, without warning he swerves over to the left turn lane and all I see is stopped traffic.

Dare I be the instigator and ask how close you were following the escalade???

Betting maybe not the 2seconds the MSF taught us, definetly couldn't do your 12sec scan ahead since

you couldn't see past or thru the escalade.

J/K with you tho, glad you came out ok, its scarry to stare down the ass end of stopped traffic when you didn't expect it!

and the source of that?

a few different sources

the movie 21

supposedly some old asian blackjack dealer in atlantic city started shouting it in order to draw more people to his table.

supposedly a chicken and potatoes dinner was $1.79 back in the day in vegas and $2 was a standard bet.

Take your pick!

Dare I be the instigator and ask how close you were following the escalade???

Betting maybe not the 2seconds the MSF taught us' date=' definetly couldn't do your 12sec scan ahead since

you couldn't see past or thru the escalade.

J/K with you tho, glad you came out ok, its scarry to stare down the ass end of stopped traffic when you didn't expect it![/quote']

True, it may have been just over a second behind as apposed to the 2 second rule. normally I do follow that rule, I guess the gap just closed quicker than I anticipated. Lesson learned.

True, it may have been just over a second behind as apposed to the 2 second rule. normally I do follow that rule, I guess the gap just closed quicker than I anticipated. Lesson learned.

I am glad you got your first "near miss" out of the way, now you just have the next 100 to deal with this summer

I am glad you got your first "near miss" out of the way, now you just have the next 100 to deal with this summer

Ahhh, might want to tack a ZERO on the end of that :rolleyes: