for premier class competition in AMA Pro Road Racing

in the last three weeks. Just prior to the Fourth

of July Weekend Red Bull U.S. Grand Prix at Mazda

Raceway Laguna Seca, AMA Pro approved the KTM 990

Super Duke for competition in AMA Pro Daytona

SportBike presented by AMSOIL. The bike was given

its AMA Pro Road Racing debut by Tri-Valley Moto and

rider Eric Gulbransen who finished 28th out of 39

entered bikes on the No. 394 KTM 990 Super Duke.

This weekend's Honda Super Cycle Weekend features

dual American Superbike and Daytona SportBike finals

on Saturday and Sunday. Also on the schedule are

rounds for AMA Pro SuperSport presented by Shoei

East and AMA Pro SunTrust Moto-GT.

ENDS

Buell 1125RR: Not Road Legal, Yet Superbike Legal

by staff

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Here is the press release from Buell regarding their 1125RR, (note second R in designation) a bike not road legal, yet somehow Superbike legal, as per DMG. Isn't it interesting how the Japanese manufacturers are knocked back to Superstock spec this season in Superbike, yet Buell gets to enter a full-on Superbike that isn't even street legal?

As is becoming characteristic with Buell they just can't bear to merely bring a gun to a gunfight, it's always gotta be a Gatling gun (of their own design) to a fist-fight.

Buell Press Release Start:

(July 15) Buell Motorcycle Company today introduced the 1125RR, a race-use only motorcycle intended for competition in the AMA Pro Racing American Superbike class.

"The 1125RR is designed to give privateer racers a turn-key machine to compete in the American Superbike class in AMA Pro Racing. We want to build on our program that has proven so successful for privateers in the Daytona SportBike class," said Erik Buell, Chairman and Chief Technical Officer, Buell Motorcycle Company.

The Buell 1125RR features a modified Helicon 1125cc (103mm bore x 67.5mm stroke) liquid-cooled 72-degree V-Twin engine. Power increases come from components including a larger airbox and intake manifold, revised valves and camshafts, a higher compression ratio, titanium exhaust system and other weight-reduced components.

The 1125RR chassis is the standard 1125R design with fuel-in-the-frame, plus a billet axle adjustment system and chain-drive to allow gearing changes. Suspension travel is managed by fully adjustable units, with a Showa 43mm front fork and a remote-reservoir rear shock. A ZTL2 (Zero Torsional Load) eight-piston front caliper is mated with a modified front rotor.

Buell 1125RR features:

? 1125cc (68.7 cid) Helicon Powertrain:

o 4.055 inch (103 mm) bore and 2.658 inch (67.5mm) stroke

? Dual 61mm down-draft fuel-injection throttle bodies

? Titanium exhaust header and mass-centralized muffler

? 6-Spoke cast magnesium racing wheels

o Front: 3.5 inch (88.9mm) x 17 inch (431.8mm)

o Rear: 6 inch (152.4mm) x 17 inch (431.8mm)

? Buell ZTL2 reversed rotor front brake with eight-piston Nissin caliper

? 43mm Showa fully-adjustable inverted forks

? Showa fully-adjustable rear shock with remote reservoir

? Cast-aluminum swingarm machined with billet axle adjustment system

? Center position wheelbase 55.5 inches (1410 mm)

Buell will produce a limited number of 1125RR motorcycles for sale only to licensed professional road racers who will compete in the AMA Pro Racing American Superbike class. U.S. MSRP is $39,995. Orders must be placed through the Buell Race Department and delivered through an authorized Buell motorcycle dealer.

Edited by RC51 John

WTF is this shit.

DMG and Buell caught in bed together.

Maybe I'm missing something. What exactly is the controversy??

American Superbikes all have direct roots to production street bikes and, not surprisingly, each eligible model represents the most powerful motorcycle available from top manufacturers such as Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha, Aprilia, Buell, Ducati and others. The big-bore bikes all produce at least 1000cc in engine displacement from a variety of twin and multi-cylinder powerplants. Four-cylinder, four-stroke machines have a minimum post-race weight of 375 pounds and are limited to 1000cc engines, such as the Suzuki GSX-R1000, Honda CBR1000RR and Yamaha R1. Two-cylinder, four-stroke machines must tip the scales at a minimum post-race weight of 390 pounds but can exceed 1000cc in displacement, such as the Buell 1125CR and Ducati 1098R.

Maybe I'm missing something. What exactly is the controversy??

In many people's opinion AMA has already been showing quite a bit of favor to Buell. So to continue their success in this series (not hating on Buell here but this is where they're having most of it) they create a turnkey, track only model of bike and it is almost immediately granted permission into the series. If Ducati tried to enter the Desmo I'm quite sure everyone would cry foul. Just seems like the favoritism continues...

Take that with a grain of salt, I've been reading up on it but haven't been able to watch much

Edited by V4junkie

Not easily...belts are continuous. They would need to manufacture different belt lengths for each gearing combination.

i disagree, if anything it would give more flexibility as you are not limited to a link by link basis...make the front pulley a little bigger, and the rear pulley a little smaller or vice versa..., and the tensioner should give you a good amount of play anyway

In many people's opinion AMA has already been showing quite a bit of favor to Buell. So to continue their success in this series (not hating on Buell here but this is where they're having most of it) they create a turnkey, track only model of bike and it is almost immediately granted permission into the series. If Ducati tried to enter the Desmo I'm quite sure everyone would cry foul. Just seems like the favoritism continues...

Take that with a grain of salt, I've been reading up on it but haven't been able to watch much

Hmmm. 1. I'm sure Buell had pemission before they started development. 2. What favor? After Buell won a few, they made them add weight, which dropped them back in the pack.

This is the issue.

What is the difference if Buell makes a streetbike and then Buell Racing modifies it within the Suberbike rules vs. Suzuki makes a streetbike then Rockstar Makita Suzuki modifies it within the Suberbike rules? The only real difference is that the mods are made before/after the racing team actually gets ahold of it. I'm QUITE CERTAIN that RMS has at least $28k of mods on Mladin's bike.

As much as I like my Buell...I don't really think Knapp is going to beat Mladin.

i disagree, if anything it would give more flexibility as you are not limited to a link by link basis...make the front pulley a little bigger, and the rear pulley a little smaller or vice versa..., and the tensioner should give you a good amount of play anyway

There is no play in the tensioner. You could potentially make different tensioner pulley sizes, or some kind of adjustable tensioner, but the tension needs to be precise (note the rear axle does not move at all). It easier & cheaper to change gearing with off the shelf sprockets and chains.

Hmmm. 1. I'm sure Buell had pemission before they started development. 2. What favor? After Buell won a few, they made them add weight, which dropped them back in the pack.

What is the difference if Buell makes a streetbike and then Buell Racing modifies it within the Suberbike rules vs. Suzuki makes a streetbike then Rockstar Makita Suzuki modifies it within the Suberbike rules? The only real difference is that the mods are made before/after the racing team actually gets ahold of it. I'm QUITE CERTAIN that RMS has at least $28k of mods on Mladin's bike.

As much as I like my Buell...I don't really think Knapp is going to beat Mladin.

See if you can go to a Buell Dealership and purchase one of these new 1125RR's. Then go to a Suzuki dealship to see if you can get a GSXR1000.

Buell 1125RR & American Superbike Rule Book Seem At Odds

by dean adams

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Anyone who knows me will tell you that I'm the first to admit that I don't know everything about racing. And that I am assuredly by no means the brightest bulb in the light fixture.

That said, even my frozen solid Minnesota brain finds a slight disconnect between DMG/AMA Pro Racing's rule book, and the Buell 1125RR being legal for the American Superbike class.

This from page ten (20 in the rulebook) of 59 in the AMA Pro Racing 2009 rules, under the heading of Homologation: American Superbike motorcycles must be street certified in the US and available through US retail dealers.

Then, Buell PR on the Buell 1125RR:

Buell Motorcycle Company today introduced the 1125RR, a race-use only motorcycle intended for competition in the AMA Pro Racing American Superbike class.

This is from the version of the rulebook that I just downloaded in PDF form on the DMG/AMA Pro Racing web site. You can view a copy by clicking here.

And, from the DMG AMA Pro Racing application form required to enter a bike in the American Superbike class: (download)

AMA Pro American Superbike motorcycles must be street certified for use in the United States and be available at the time of competition from U.S. retail dealers. There must be sufficient quantity available such that any person wanting to buy one for racing purposes can do so in a timely fashion. ... Importation must be completed by June 1st of the current season.

Also from that application: Also, it is requested, but not required, that each manufacturer has available one additional street version of the homologated model for display and marketing purposes at each event.

And ...The motorcycle must be a 4-stroke production model with street-use certification in the United States.

Ducati USA's PR man, John Canton, confirmed, for those wondering, that the Ducati 1098R, which is the base for Larry Pegram's Superbike, and is on DMG/AMA's list of approved motorcycles, is street legal from the factory and comes with, you know, headlights and stuff.

Edited by RC51 John

See if you can go to a Buell Dealership and purchase one of these new 1125RR's. Then go to a Suzuki dealship to see if you can get a GSXR1000.

Then go to Rockstar Makita and ask to buy one of Mladin's bikes.

btw...U.S. MSRP is $39,995. Orders must be placed through the Buell Race Department and delivered through an authorized Buell motorcycle dealer.

If the rules are anything like WSBK the bike has to be on the showroom floor by the end of the year. Example BMWs S1000RR just hit the show room floor last month. So buell may have some time to be compliant with the rules.

Edited by HeeHaw

The bike is in its proper class now and I agree the work that is done to these bikes takes away from being stock so who cares by how much as long as they are within the guidelines everyone else are in.

The weight change rule however did not affect the Buell; the bike was already over the new weight so no weight was actually added to the bike.