OSHP increases patrols...

ReconRat

If you noticed more patrols on the Columbus freeways lately, here's the deal:

Ohio State Highway Patrol and Columbus Police are targeting drunk drivers for a while.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2009/08/07/blitz.ART_ART_08-07-09_B3_8AEN0LQ.html

Franklin County

Drunken drivers will be targets on freeways

Friday, August 7, 2009 2:56 AM

The State Highway Patrol and Columbus police are teaming up for another crackdown on drunken driving through a traffic law-enforcement blitz. Troopers and police began paying extra attention to Franklin County interstates Wednesday and will continue the special patrols through Aug. 15 in a bid to reduce crashes caused by impaired drivers.

The effort will focus on the period between 6 p.m. on Wednesdays and 4 a.m. on Sundays, said Capt. Arthur Combest, commander of the State Highway Patrol's Columbus district.

A similar blitz between June 11 and July 11 resulted in 848 arrests and tickets, including 104 drunken-driving arrests.

This year, 38 people died in traffic crashes in Franklin County through July 31, and 13 of those deaths were linked to drunken drivers, according to patrol statistics.

-- Randy Ludlow rludlow@dispatch.com

"A similar blitz between June 11 and July 11 resulted in 848 arrests and tickets, including 104 drunken-driving arrests.

This year, 38 people died in traffic crashes in Franklin County through July 31, and 13 of those deaths were linked to drunken drivers, according to patrol statistics."

The other 25 deaths were assholes hitting motorcycles

By patrolling for drunk drivers they mean enforcing speed limits right. You know that's all they'll be doing. They don't care about the drunk driving, someone is down on money so its time to kick the revenue machine into high gear.

Why dont they put all that focus and energy to city streets where there is a higher frequency of accidents... from running red lights to hitting motorcyclists as shitty said. waste of money.

i almost got hit by a city cop in beavercreek, did an illegal uturn in front of me and then was weaving between lanes as i was trying to figure out which lane to pass him in since he was driving slower than the speed limit. i followed him into the gas station and lo and behold he was on his cell phone. and when i confronted him about it all he said he wasnt on his phone. it took everything i had not to blow up at him then and there, knowing that if he was this much of a dick already he'd book me for something stupid.

too bad i didnt have my camera hooked up...

/rant

I am going to officially start "pennies for bikers". Pennies for Bikers, will assist motorcyclists who receive traffic violations with the costs of their citations. I am going to request the help of the OhioRiders community, We need 5 gallon water jugs and lots of pennies.

If Ben is okay with this I would like to ask for Donations (pennies) at OR events

I am going to officially start "pennies for bikers". Pennies for Bikers, will assist motorcyclists who receive traffic violations with the costs of their citations. I am going to request the help of the OhioRiders community, We need 5 gallon water jugs and lots of pennies.

If Ben is okay with this I would like to ask for Donations (pennies) at OR events

hell yeah! I will totally help you head this up

• 3 weeks later...
By patrolling for drunk drivers they mean enforcing speed limits right. You know that's all they'll be doing. They don't care about the drunk driving, someone is down on money so its time to kick the revenue machine into high gear.

hit it on the head. It pisses me off especially the 315 cops. Its pathetic I came home from work on a Monday night at 11:30 PM and there was one sitting right next to where it turns 45mph out with a laser. Really? That late shouldnt they be on the streets patrolling? I dont pay taxes so they can sit outside their car and try to make money for the city. I got a ticket for 69 in a 45 because the second I passed the 45 mph sign he got me with a laser as I was slowing down. The city shares in the spoils with the county because some days itll be city cops and the next itll be deputys sitting out there. Ahhh pisses me off

hit it on the head. It pisses me off especially the 315 cops. Its pathetic I came home from work on a Monday night at 11:30 PM and there was one sitting right next to where it turns 45mph out with a laser. Really? That late shouldnt they be on the streets patrolling? I dont pay taxes so they can sit outside their car and try to make money for the city. I got a ticket for 69 in a 45 because the second I passed the 45 mph sign he got me with a laser as I was slowing down. The city shares in the spoils with the county because some days itll be city cops and the next itll be deputys sitting out there. Ahhh pisses me off

I saw that cop last night, he was on the hospital curve on the inside lane right? I was surprised he didnt get me...

Those jokers camp on 270 between 161 and Rt3...I pretty much see a CPD or Sheriff or couple State Patrols daily on my way to work ~7:20am and on my way home ~4:10pm. I watched a Sheriff bust this black Monte Carlo yesterday after work for speeding...the Monte Carlo tried to jump off 270 at Rt3 and the LEO was on to that trick.

Speeking of drunk driving, Easton might be one of the worst places to do that in Columbus. You are watched on cameras throughout Easton and then they have CPD just hanging out waiting to pull people over...Easton security and CPD work together to prevent drunk driving. I was told Easton Security will attempt to stop someone drunk from getting behind the wheel, so they don't have to get a DUI or whatever (not sure that they do this for everyone). The last time I left work, I watched a car leave the garage and two CPD cars quickly pulled up behind them as they turned on the Easton Loop. They let the car get to Morse Rd. for some reason and lit them up...I got to see most of the action since I ended up following them to Morse. I'm sure they weren't pulling them over just because...even though they could have been pulled over because they were smoking weed in the garage or doing something else suspect. Big brothers watching you at Easton...just a heads up.