Electrical Question

Likwid

I have a GFCI outlet in my garage that popped. Unplugged the chest freezer and hit the reset button.... lights go out. Flip the breaker back on in the basement, go out and hit reset, same thing.

I'm thinking something's fucked up in the receptacle. Can anyone think of an idea I shouldn't just go get a new GFCI box and replace it? Could there be a bigger problem?

Meanwhile, freezer is plugged into an extension cord that I plugged in the house... so ghetto.

Thanks,

throw a meter on it if it surges coming out of the outlet the GFI has gone bad, if you get a constant 123-125 it could be a problem with the feed... doubtful but I've seen stranger things happen.... if you replace it and still have problems you might want to check the amps coming off the breaker in the panel...

throw a meter on it if it surges coming out of the outlet the GFI has gone bad, if you get a constant 123-125 it could be a problem with the feed... doubtful but I've seen stranger things happen.... if you replace it and still have problems you might want to check the amps coming off the breaker in the panel...

Do I put the meter on the hot wire while the breaker is ON? Sounds dangerous right? Sorry, I have a multimeter, but I'm not that good with it.

Treat me like the moron I am and walk me through how to test it? Please +1 beer if you do.

Do I put the meter on the hot wire while the breaker is ON? Sounds dangerous right? Sorry, I have a multimeter, but I'm not that good with it.

Treat me like the moron I am and walk me through how to test it? Please +1 beer if you do.

the red wire off your meter is the hot wire connection the black is the neutral... yes you test it live/hot... it's the only way to get a reading... so, red to black and black to white, should give you a reading of at least 123.... and it shouldn't move much either way....

the red wire off your meter is the hot wire connection the black is the neutral... yes you test it live/hot... it's the only way to get a reading... so, red to black and black to white, should give you a reading of at least 123.... and it shouldn't move much either way....

Which setting should I have the meter on?

give me a call tomorrow if you need help walking thru the removal and installation of a new GFCI.... K?

I appreciate it Chris, if you lived closer I'd just take a service call, I'll give you a call after the gun show.

Thanks buddy.

uhh... you shouldn't be trying to get a current reading across a voltage source. You want to measure the voltage. You want the multimeter on the 'VAC' or 'ACV' setting, that is AC Voltage. I have a cheap RadioShack meter in front of me and it has 200V and 500V AC settings. 200V setting is okay because we shouldn't see any more than about 120V AC. Adjust your multimeter to the correct setting BEFORE you start poking the probes around. Go to a known good outlet and put the probes in the two slots, the slot that is larger is the positive one. It doesn't matter if you get it backwards, you'll just get a negative reading. I don't know what measuring the voltage is gonna tell you if the breaker blows every time you turn the receptacle on.

If everytime your flip the GFCI switch it blows the breaker, it sounds like the GFCI receptacle is bad. The only reason the breaker switches off is because of an over-current condition. Without anything plugged into the receptacle, that means only one thing; the receptacle is shorting out internally. I don't think the wires are shorting out anywhere, otherwise the breaker would immediately switch off everytime your turn it back on. Your problem is linked to when you switch the GFCI receptacle on, I say replace it

Edited by wrillo
added

Right, so here was the issue. I managed to figure it out, so cmoose if you read this, no worries.

I had a ground fault out at my lamppost. So flip the breaker on downstairs, the bottom outlet of the GFCI in the garage had 120v across the hot and white, the top didn't have any voltage.

Turn off the breaker, goes outside and disconnect the top of the lamppost, take all the wires out and low and behold the ground wire is frayed and looks like it may be corroded in a few spots. Disconnected all the stuff so just had the source wires, go downstairs flip the breaker on, GFCI in the garage resets good, have 120v across that, wires in the lamppost have 120v going across them.... turn breaker back off install a new photovoltaic thingy reconnect all the wires (cutting the ground wire and starting from the top where it's only good wiring, reconnect all turn breaker on...

Both Outlets in garage GFCI 120v

Lamppost functions

No trips/breaks.

Yay? Matt done good?

Right, so here was the issue. I managed to figure it out, so cmoose if you read this, no worries.

I had a ground fault out at my lamppost. So flip the breaker on downstairs, the bottom outlet of the GFCI in the garage had 120v across the hot and white, the top didn't have any voltage.

Turn off the breaker, goes outside and disconnect the top of the lamppost, take all the wires out and low and behold the ground wire is frayed and looks like it may be corroded in a few spots. Disconnected all the stuff so just had the source wires, go downstairs flip the breaker on, GFCI in the garage resets good, have 120v across that, wires in the lamppost have 120v going across them.... turn breaker back off install a new photovoltaic thingy reconnect all the wires (cutting the ground wire and starting from the top where it's only good wiring, reconnect all turn breaker on...

Both Outlets in garage GFCI 120v

Lamppost functions

No trips/breaks.

Yay? Matt done good?

sounds like you found the problem and saved yourself the cost of replacing it.... good job... always start with the simple stuff and work the way down the chain.... :)00020408.gif

sounds like you found the problem and saved yourself the cost of replacing it.... good job... always start with the simple stuff and work the way down the chain.... :)00020408.gif

Thanks for the help, I never would have thought to check voltage... lol I'm pathetic

Which setting should I have the meter on?

Make that 200 Volt AC, the meter might have symbol like this ~

should be the 200 amp setting....

Amp setting won't tell you anything unless you run the current through the meter and I haven't seen any consumer models that will let you put a 200 Amp load through them. There is a clamp style amp meter with a jaw that wraps around the single hot wire (black) at the breaker box.

Make that 200 Volt AC, the meter might have symbol like this ~

Amp setting won't tell you anything unless you run the current through the meter and I haven't seen any consumer models that will let you put a 200 Amp load through them. There is a clamp style amp meter with a jaw that wraps around the single hot wire (black) at the breaker box.

I have several including that one... you are right about the AC symbol I had a brain fart when I posted ......

There is some really bad advice in this thread.

Advice if you don't know or think you might know you should just keep going.

The advice moose offered would have damaged his multi meter if it was unprotected and possibly got the guy holding the meter hurt. Never ever plug an amp meter hot to neutral without a load or some other way to limit current in line.

The purpose of a GFI is to ensure all of the CURRENT going out on the Hot wire is in Balance with the Current returning on the neutral. the currents coming and going must equal otherwise it will trip.