Annoying rattle.....

Doomking

Hi

I have a zx11d.

Between 4000 and 4500 rpm there seem to be a rattle behind the instrument cluster.

I took fairing apart and fired up the engine and rattle still there.

Is there an easy way to pinpoint a rattling part?

Is possible that in the instrument cluster some got lose ?

I'would like to hear your opinion on this.

Thanks

I found that pushing on the instrument cluster ,reduce the rattle a bit. I am wondering if the speedometer cable might getting worn off inside the speedometer assembly. I only have 19k on the bike, and I never had an instrument cluster going bad on me.....I should strip the bike down to the frame and go riding, than start putting pieces back together, and ride in between every item I put back on the bike until I find the one that rattle.............if I remember how it goes all back together !!

unfortunately I got bad rep just because I expressed my opinion about a 600 cc bike post.

Some have elected to disagree with me and gave me some bad rep, which frankly I really could care less if under my name it looks like a Christmas three.

It's unfortunate that even though we are all in title of our own opinion, some people here feel that unless you share the same idea you are a less of a rider...just like you noticed the red lights under my name and coming to your intelligent conclusion.

In the end the reason why I came to this site few weeks ago, is to ride with some fellow riders from time to time. And in fact I met some, and they seems very friendly people.

I have been riding for the past 30 years mostly in Italy and lately here in the USA, and the opportunity to ride in a group with mostly sport bikes, is what got me interested in this site in the first place.

It's remarkable that instead of offering a suggestion to my dilemma, only you are concerned is what light is blinking under my name.

Maybe since you show all those pretty colors, you could use your wisdom and en light a newbie like me, to how I can go about to correct my bike problem.

Thanks for your time

Happy riding !

I found that pushing on the instrument cluster ,reduce the rattle a bit. I am wondering if the speedometer cable might getting worn off inside the speedometer assembly.

I never heard of that happening, I guess it could but...

So this only happens when your moving?

Maybe try riding it with out the fairings on it just to test it.

Maybe the noise isn't coming from where you think it is.

Sounds are funny like that.

The rattle could be bouncing off the fairing and just seem like its from the cluster.

Just a thought...

I've heard of and seen speedo cables buzz and rattle before. They can wear down on one end or the other, and they will rattle (bounce back and forth) on the instrument cluster end. Check both ends to see if they are tight, and pull off and look close for signs of wear on the end of the inner cable. Replace if necessary. Especially since if left that way, it can and will hammer a hole right through the speedometer. Picture that rare event happening.

I would have thought your bike had electronic speedo, not a cable. In that case it's maybe a part or piece inside the instrument cluster, and will have to come off and be found and fixed. Don't know about yours, but mine can be disassembled, and individual parts are available. I like that.

If it will do this when parked, try using a tube of some kind, to listen through. It will point pretty close to the location of the noise. Try from different angles and see what you get.

Instrument clusters have rubber bushings or washers to mount with. Check and make sure they are all there, and in good condition.

Headlight cases have a habit of doing that with wires inside. Lining with thin foam fixes it, the non-absorbent kind of foam. I use the thin foam that comes on new LCD monitors. But that is more of a buzzing than a rattle.

unfortunately I got bad rep just because I expressed my opinion about a 600 cc bike post.

Some have elected to disagree with me and gave me some bad rep, which frankly I really could care less if under my name it looks like a Christmas three.

It's unfortunate that even though we are all in title of our own opinion, some people here feel that unless you share the same idea you are a less of a rider...just like you noticed the red lights under my name and coming to your intelligent conclusion.

In the end the reason why I came to this site few weeks ago, is to ride with some fellow riders from time to time. And in fact I met some, and they seems very friendly people.

I have been riding for the past 30 years mostly in Italy and lately here in the USA, and the opportunity to ride in a group with mostly sport bikes, is what got me interested in this site in the first place.

It's remarkable that instead of offering a suggestion to my dilemma, only you are concerned is what light is blinking under my name.

Maybe since you show all those pretty colors, you could use your wisdom and en light a newbie like me, to how I can go about to correct my bike problem.

Thanks for your time

Happy riding !

First off, i have been on this board for some time now, most people are very helpful and polite to ALL members. I didn't call you a newbie. There are only a few people with the negative rep that you have, and they got it for a reason. I find it hard to believe you got such a high score from voicing your opinion on a single thread. But if that is the case i do apologize, most people dont just pass out negative rep for a differing opinion.......we have had some problems with a few people coming on here are trying to start shit just to start shit. Good luck with your rattle probs

As the season is winding down, the low is 47 F tonight!:eek: ,I think I'll ride with the rattle until I put the bike away for the winter. In doing so I have to take fairing off and such to get to the carbs for proper draining.

I will reassemble the bike next spring and I'll go over the items that you guys suggested.

I will, for sure, ride the bike stripped down to see if the rattle is still present, and work my way back to full assembly, hopefully finding that pesky noise.

I'll try to use one of those noise finding stethoscope, maybe I get lucky like you suggested.

Until than I better ride little faster than 4500 rpm......

Thanks for all the help !!