Insurance buy back?

walther_gsp

I finally heard today from a local shop that is going to be doing the repair estimate for my R6. They can get it in tomorrow, but warned me that I'm pretty much looking at it being totaled due to having to replace the fairings.

If they total it, what would I be looking at to buy it back from them? I'm thinking that the fairings really don't need replaced, but maybe touched up over the winter. So the only real repairs (assuming they don't find something like a bent frame/swingarm), are new forks/triple tree, gas tank and rear subframe. Am I insane for thinking about letting them total it and doing the repairs, or should I just be looking at new bikes?

I know when I've done it with cars it has been damn cheap. I think I paid 250$ to get my back my 323 when it got rearended. I pulled out the rear got it inspected and drove it for another 75K Good car :) Even if the trunk used a padlock

First off if they told you it would be totalled because of the fairings they're blowing smoke up your back side. Now, frame damage is pretty much the largest factor to totalling your ride. I don't think anyone can gaurantee you that it hasn't been stressed to the point of near failure and say it'll be ok. Most ins. companies look for something around 80% of the bikes value as damaged. So, if your bike is work $10k you'd need to have $8k+ in damage for them to total it. I've never bought one back although I've never come anywhere close to totalling one. But again depending on damage and the availability of good replacement parts (i.e. Ebay) it could be streetable again. Be warned though, if you ever try to sell it as a salvaged vehicle you will most likely not get the money you've invested in fixing back.

I replied based on what you had posted. Sorry, my apology. Well, again if the frame itself isn't damaged you'd be surprised how far the ins. will go to fix it rather than total it out. Hopefully you'll get everything all squared away soon so you won't miss the whole riding season.

Thats whats killing me right now, missing the chances to ride. Right now, my shoulder could probably tolerate an hour or two on a bike without much soreness. Having a damaged bike in the garage is only serving to drive me nuts right now.

Book value on the bike is like 5600, so it wouldn't take much to hit 70-80% of that if I start replacing fairings. I've conned my dad into taking the bike in for me since he's on vacation, so I should know in a day or two what the status is.