Need some rear shock help! Anyone have the right tools?

Dubguy85

I have a penske shock on my race bike, and the spring is to stiff..I have a replacement spring, but need a spring compressor, and a little bit more know how then myself...Anyone want to help me, or do it for me... Cash will be involved, or beer, or hookers and blow...Whatever u prefer!

I have the tools and know-how for that, sadly the tools are on loan to a friend in Iowa, how fast do you need it? It's a 10 min job with the shock off the bike and I wouldn't even charge you for a such a simple job.

I've already spent most of my money on motorcycles, hookers, & alcohol,, the rest of it I just wasted.

Uh, penske doesn't need a spring compressor... Loosen the ring all the way to take the tension off and the spring will be allowed to be lifted up. There's a lock ring that needs removed and everything comes off the bottom. Replace spring with correct weight and compress with about 10mm of compression (measure the spring length uncompressed and then compress until 10mm shorter) and slap it back on.

Actually, you don't even need to remove the shock to change the spring on a Penske - hence why they are so much easier to use than Ohlins...

Uh, penske doesn't need a spring compressor... Loosen the ring all the way to take the tension off and the spring will be allowed to be lifted up. There's a lock ring that needs removed and everything comes off the bottom. Replace spring with correct weight and compress with about 10mm of compression (measure the spring length uncompressed and then compress until 10mm shorter) and slap it back on.

Actually, you don't even need to remove the shock to change the spring on a Penske - hence why they are so much easier to use than Ohlins...

Sweet...Sounds like you know ur doin... Wanna help? I'll pay ya...

Just remove the shock, bring it to Pony on Friday when I am there and we can hammer it out quickly. Or, you can bring it to the AMA Pro AM preferably on Saturday afternoon and we can do it there...

No cost.

However, what spring is on it now, what is your weight and what is the spring you are wanting on? How do you know it is too stiff?

I had indy ducati check the sag and it was way off, and the shock can't be beacked out anymore..it is all the way out and can't go any softer..the original owner of the bike told me this so he sent me another spring that would fit me better...what do I use to support the bike when the shock is off?

I had indy ducati check the sag and it was way off, and the shock can't be beacked out anymore..it is all the way out and can't go any softer..the original owner of the bike told me this so he sent me another spring that would fit me better...what do I use to support the bike when the shock is off?

Take your rear stand, lift the bike as you usually would do. Get two jack stands (don't need to be for a 3 ton truck, either. Small ones are fine) and place under your rear sets. GENTLY drop the bike down onto the jack stands by dropping the rear stand. That will unload the rear wheel and keep it off the ground.

My suggestion is to remove the rear wheel - easier to lift and wiggle the swingarm. Loosen the top and bottom shock mount nuts. Lift SLIGHTLY the swingarm to get the bolts out. The swing arm will drop to the ground and be fine. Will also allow a BIG opening to get the shock off. DO NOT remove the top nut on the frame that holds the shock collar on. You only need to remove the bolts that hold the shock on and not the collar...

Remove the straps that hold the remote reservoir on. Wiggle the shock out and BAMO!! She should be off easily.

Do you have the Penske spring tool? Looks like a dowl rod with a slight bend at the end? Helps to add spring tension or remove spring tension? If not, I have one.

Here are some pics for reference...

Top bolt needing removed:

topbolt.jpg

Bottom bolt needing removed:

bottombolt.jpg