Apartment troubles... again... wtf.

OsuMj

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmm, so the gas was off at one of the valves? Was it? argh...

actually, my upstairs neighbor's gas valve is off, for good reason, there's apparently something else wrong with their furnace. Mine was a wiring issue with the new thermostat they installed - which is why nothing was happening when i turned the heat way up...

actually, my upstairs neighbor's gas valve is off, for good reason, there's apparently something else wrong with their furnace. Mine was a wiring issue with the new thermostat they installed - which is why nothing was happening when i turned the heat way up...

okey dokey.... but any enginerd can handle those things, now that you know where to check based on those symptoms.

soooo, did bats fly out of the furnace when it fired up? just curious...

:eek: hrm, that might look suspicious if most of my stuff is removed before the fire.... lol.

Don't remove your stuff... Just make sure that its insured... Then you can get NEW stuff:D J/K

DISCLAIMER: Insurance fraud and conspiracy to commit insurance fraud are illegal actions, and we the individuals of KruelHouse Inc. do not participate in, nor condone any discussion or initiatives to carry out the aforementioned acts.

• 5 months later...

if u have a lease you can sue her for locking you out especialy if your not behind on any rent you could also press charges for breaking and entering if she does not give you a notice of if and when she enters the premises. landlord or not they have to give you at least a 24 hour notice before they can enter the premises. otherwise breaking and entering even with a key can be a felony charge in ohio

Edited by Doug

sounds like you have a slumlord!!!!

She got all that previous crap taken care of (with the exception of my crumbling front porch), so I've been living here for 6 months with only minor problems, then suddenly this last monday the electric gets shut off and I find out she basically hasn't paid the electric bill since I moved in... It got turned back on later that night, but this is just WAY too much for me to deal with. Besides all that, she'll ignore me for weeks at a time, its annoying....

she got all that previous crap taken care of (with the exception of my crumbling front porch), so i've been living here for 6 months with only minor problems, then suddenly this last monday the electric gets shut off and i find out she basically hasn't paid the electric bill since i moved in... It got turned back on later that night, but this is just way too much for me to deal with. Besides all that, she'll ignore me for weeks at a time, its annoying....

put your rent in an escrow account. What it does is it guarantee's that she will have to do all repairs to your satisfaction in order to get her rent she can not evict u. Go to whatever county your in to clerck of courts and open an escrow account and give them a list of problems and from there she will have to have all work completed in order to recieve her rent from the clerck of courts!!!

put your rent in an escrow account. What it does is it guarantee's that she will have to do all repairs to your satisfaction in order to get her rent she can not evict u. Go to whatever county your in to clerck of courts and open an escrow account and give them a list of problems and from there she will have to have all work completed in order to recieve her rent from the clerck of courts!!!

+1

I threatened a landlord with this years ago when we were still renting. Got her attention reeeeal quick!

+1

I threatened a landlord with this years ago when we were still renting. Got her attention reeeeal quick!

OK, but as i understand it, and please correct me if i'm wrong, but escrow only works if there's conditions that need corrected. So yes, i could put it into escrow to get my front porch steps fixed, but me having my electric randomly shut off bc she hasn't been paying the bill can't be predicted, so i can't just put my rent into escrow on the potential for my landlord to be an idiot... right?

You probably can now... since it's been shut off.

Tell her you'll put the rent into escrow until she gives you proof the bills been paid each month :)

hrm... that's interesting. I'll see what the OSU legal people say :)

Call "Midnight Moving Company" get all your stuff out of there!

Call the Housing authority have the place condemned. (No utilities)

Call the BBB and file a complaint against her.

Then see the clerk of courts and file a lien against her for the back rent.

File a small claims court complaint while your there.

Go on line and sign her up for the KKK and the Black Panthers at the same time.

Then get creative!

Call the Housing authority have the place condemned. (No utilities)

they got turned back on that night.... its just the bs of having to deal with them being off. she causes these 'inconveniences' then takes care of them before i have a chance to do anything about it.

ok, but as i understand it, and please correct me if i'm wrong, but escrow only works if there's conditions that need corrected. So yes, i could put it into escrow to get my front porch steps fixed, but me having my electric randomly shut off bc she hasn't been paying the bill can't be predicted, so i can't just put my rent into escrow on the potential for my landlord to be an idiot... Right?

if your electric is included with your rent everytime it gets shut off notify the clerck of courts and then she will be looking at bigger issues. Id contact aep and find out if you can be notifyied if and when electric will be off so u can prepare!!!

if your electric is included with your rent everytime it gets shut off notify the clerck of courts and then she will be looking at bigger issues. Id contact aep and find out if you can be notifyied if and when electric will be off so u can prepare!!!

AEP has made it abundantly clear to me, that even though I live here and have a lease for the property, since its not in my name, I'm not even allowed to know if the electric will be shut off until the guy comes to my door to tell me. They claim its violating the rights of the person who is paying the bill ... yeah.

The public utilities is a whole different story. They'll tell you exactly what she owes. lol.

Its official, lawyer says i cannot break my lease bc in order to break a lease, you have to have this very specific sequence happen:

1. something breaks

2. you notify landlord that thing is broken and give them a certain amount of time (depending on what is broken) to fix it - IN WRITING

3. landlord does not fix it in said amount of time

short of her saying that she's cool with me breaking my lease, i can't do anything :( and since she is officially ignoring me, I dont see that happening. :(:(:(

any suggestions?