Tour De Pisqua 09'

buildit

So I took a little trip to the smokies last weekend. No I didn't ride the dragon or cherry-cola skyway :p There were 5 of us from Ohio including myself.

Freinds of mine, John and Becky made it down Wednesday with some minor electrical issues on Johns bike that threatened to ruin his whole trip. I made it down Thursday to a relativly dry day just before CHS and Dave made it to camp. John did end up resolving the rectifier issue on his bike Friday while we went out with Cherokee Chuck to play. First little hill we did was a great view and had a nice little challenge section at the top.

Beckyonhill4.jpg

Viewfromhill3.jpg

Meoverrock.jpg

Beckyonhill.jpg

We went on to try some other trails but found them closed off. Yep we were "persona non grata". We made one last stop before lunch.

Chuck Crossing

Chuckcrossing.jpg

Lt Dan Crossing

ltDancrossing3.jpg

ltDan.jpg

Keith and the sinking ship

Subcomander.jpg

We played with trying to get the water out of his bike while Lt Dan and Chuck rode around the other side for a bit.

SUZdrainthemuffler.jpg

After Lunch we tried to tackle a hill that was just a bit to wet for us to all get up. I think one rider made it up with a few others who were pulled up but by the time I got there it was to unforgiving and we all turned around as there were 5 more behind me who were only half way to where I had gotten stuck.

I'd say the most fun was going up a hill we went down before lunch. Really fun and was not very wet so we had good traction and could get some good speed.

CHS riding up

CHS2.jpg

CHS's friend Dave was liking it too. :)

Dave2.jpg

We did a couple more forest roads and then headed back about 4pm. The last few miles we rode back to camp were an absolute wash! Lucky me had a dirt bike helmet on and the rain was stinging my face real good.

Saturday I woke up not feeling real good and decided to go explore on my own. So after seeing CHS and Dave off I hoped on the bike and rode down to Pisqua Falls and took some nice photos of the diffrent water drops along the way.

Flowingstream.jpg

Waterfall2.jpg

Meatwaterfall.jpg

I continued on out towards Ashville and 191 then rode the Blue Ridge Parkway back. It is really nice and even the 45mph speed limit didn't seem to matter as I was checking out the view most of the time. I'd recommend the Blue ridge to anyone who wants to really get a good view and ride some good roads.

After I got back I decided to play around in the creek next to the camp and unwittingly disturbed a nest of hornets in a tree just above the water. I got stung a bunch and was lucky enough to have my prednisone with me as I soon started to break out in hives. But after a couple pills and an hour nap or so, I was back to normal more or less. Even if I was a bit sore.:(

So we got some good riding in even if we spent most of it soaked to the bone. Next time I'll know better and when the forcast says rain I'll believe it. LOL I'll try to get video from the ride up later this week.

Edited by buildit

A bit more rain that I would have liked to endur but I hate rain, years of landscaping soured me. :) I got the last of the video put together tonight and hope to get them uploaded tomorrow if I can make it to the library.

I think a lot of the street bike riders who complain about the dragon will like some of the video of the blue ridge parkway and 276. Not a cop in sight and some really great twisties!

Okay, video is done from TDP09.

First is a short video up our first offroad section that offered a great view of the area and gave everyone a chance to prepare for the rest of the day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geTJdgLInBI

Second is the rest of Fridays ride. Lots of mudy hills and creek crossings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8Rj5mAguQo

Then a quick look at some of the Blue Ridge Parkway from my solo ride Saturday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjotrKvHzso

Last is the trip up 276 from the BRP towards the motorcycle camp. Some nice twisties in that road, a great alternative to the Dragon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa-q1oOvLL4

Becarful in ashville,Please stay off of private land, This is the reason they are keep shuting down riding area's. And honestly someone cuts across the wrong piece of land could very well get someone put in jail or even hurt.Some of these farmers out here set up camras for deer and shit and they will turn ppl in.Even worse if the catch you its either shotguns or big pissed off dogs.If you dont have permission to be there you shouldnt -it fuks it up for the rest of us that go to riding areas or buy land of our own.:rulez:

Becarful in ashville,Please stay off of private land, This is the reason they are keep shuting down riding area's. And honestly someone cuts across the wrong piece of land could very well get someone put in jail or even hurt.Some of these farmers out here set up camras for deer and shit and they will turn ppl in.Even worse if the catch you its either shotguns or big pissed off dogs.If you dont have permission to be there you shouldnt -it fuks it up for the rest of us that go to riding areas or buy land of our own.:rulez:

Agreed. The guy leading the ride was a local who has an intimate knowledge of the area and has used these routs for several years. I can only assume he has permission or knows the trails are legal. On my solo ride Saturday I did investigate several "roads", they had street signs" that all turned out to be gated and marked no tresspassing. It is an issue I am finding more and more as I ride new areas.:( But that's another thread.:rolleyes: