Rattle on left side...

oldschoolsdime92

I have an 02 sprint with 18k on it, and have noticed a rattle on the left side, but only when I am decelerating, eaither just letting off the throttle or downshifting up to a stoplight/sign. I have gone through all the fairing bolts checking for somthing loose. If it were my cbr, id say cam chain or valves. But I know nothing about these engines. Anyone have any ideas?

I have a similar prob with mine...a pesky rattle around 4k.

I tried just about everything, but what I will do when I put the bike to sleep for the winter, is to take off all the fairing and when i put all back together in the spring is to start with a bare frame and add little by little and run the engine in between installation to 4k, until I close in on the rattle.....hope it works because it's driving me CRAZY:mad: !!

Do they have floating rotors? I just heard about someone who discovered their floating rotor was rattling against the calipers as they decelerated but it was on a Husky so I don't know if this would apply to a Triumph. If they're chain drive you might also check that since it will loosen up on the top end during deceleration. Might be hitting the guard or inside the counter sprocket cover.

im partially thinking its new owner paranora, I probably would have never noticed it, had the previous owner point it out and say it just started. The only other issue I can find is theres sometimes a smidge of oil around the shift shaft seal, but nothing ever on the ground. But the rattle does drive me nuts!

Could be soooo many things. Pull up close to a buddy in a car and make the sound happen. Or put it on a rear stand and put it in gear and hold the rear brake and give it gas. If its fairings take them all off and ride it,then u will know if its hard parts. Chains can make funny noises also so lube it.(if has a chain lol)

• 2 weeks later...

Fixed it! Ended up being the chain, running on a bolt that holds the rub gaurd to the swing arm. It was the bolt on top, near the rear sprocket. The chain was running right onit. I tightened the chain up a touch, and it was good to go biggrin.gif I really apperciate all the help guys!