GM to shut down Saturn.

jagr

I was hoping for this. it seemed like it would work.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_SATURN_PENSKE?SITE=WCMHTV&SECTION=BUSINESS&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

GM to shut down Saturn after Penske walks away

By KIMBERLY S. JOHNSON AP Auto Writer

DETROIT (AP) -- General Motors Co. said Wednesday it would shut down its Saturn brand after an agreement with Penske Automotive Group Inc. to acquire it fell apart.

Penske, citing concerns of whether it could continue to supply vehicles after a manufacturing contract with GM ran out, ended talks with GM Wednesday to acquire the brand.

GM CEO Fritz Henderson said in statement that Saturn and its dealership network will be phased out.

"This is very disappointing news and comes after months of hard work by hundreds of dedicated employees and Saturn retailers who tried to make the new Saturn a reality," Henderson said in a written statement. "PAG's announcement explained that their decision was not based on interactions with GM or Saturn retailers."

In a statement, the Bloomfield Hills, Mich.-based auto retailer says an agreement with another manufacturer to continue producing Saturn vehicles after GM stopped making them fell through, leading Penske to terminate talks with GM.

Penske said it negotiated terms and conditions to make Saturn cars with another manufacturer, but that company's board of directors rejected the agreement. Penske spokesman Anthony Pordon would not identify the other manufacturer.

"Without that agreement, the company has determined that the risks and uncertainties related to the availability of future products prohibit the company from moving forward with this transaction," the company said in a statement.

In June, GM and Penske agreed to take over the Saturn brand and related dealerships, although GM would produce the vehicles for a limited period of time.

GM said Saturn vehicle owners can still go to their Saturn dealer for service and would be able to go to a certified GM dealer for service once Saturn dealerships are closed.

It was expected that GM would announce the completion of Saturn's sale to Penske in the coming days.

Share of Penske fell $1.93 to $17.25 in after hours trading. They rose $1.32, or 7.4 percent to $19.18 in regular trading Wednesday.

Cuz noone wants Pontiac :)

you shut your mouth, when you drive a pontiac, you drive excitement!

I have a 06 grand prix and its meh... the interior quality is pretty shitty, a lot of the stereo buttons already losing black finish, plastics in dash rattle... decent pickup tho'! I did hear that GM was going to keep the G8 platform and rebrand it as another GM vehicle because it was such a good car. I'll never own another GM again tho'... They don't hold their value for shit, if you buy one, better be prepared to have it for 5 years. And I'm not that impressed with quality... end rant.

you shut your mouth, when you drive a pontiac, you drive excitement!

I have a 06 grand prix and its meh... the interior quality is pretty shitty, a lot of the stereo buttons already losing black finish, plastics in dash rattle... decent pickup tho'! I did hear that GM was going to keep the G8 platform and rebrand it as another GM vehicle because it was such a good car. I'll never own another GM again tho'... They don't hold their value for shit, if you buy one, better be prepared to have it for 5 years. And I'm not that impressed with quality... end rant.

I dunno, only losers even want Pontiacs (I say this because I know JRM is looking)... to be completely honest, I had a Grand Am and didn't have any major issues with it, pretty good car.

But still... other than a very small handful who goes out and says "Man I want to go get a Pontiac!"?

g8 gxp

415hp/415tq - LS3, 6speed

Depending on what numbers you wanna believe... 0-60mph in 4.7, 1/4 mile in 13.2 @ 108mph.

A hayabusa it is not, but it'll seat 5 comfortably. One of the rare sedans that my head doesn't get wedged into the roofline in the back seat.

GXP has the brembos and FE3 suspension (Nurburgring tuned)

I think they look sharp, I won't have to get rid of it if I have a family because it's practical, and they only made 1829 of them.

I'm really not in the market for a new car, I'm doing it as a favor for my dad, but I think it'll be nice.

Most powerful Pontiac, EVER made. And it'll be the last, so that statement will stand.

I'm kind of forced into GM though - for numerous reasons, but most prominent because the vouchers are only good with GM vehicles and I get GMS pricing. Makes GM-mobiles cheaper for me than any similar car in the category.

g8 gxp

415hp/415tq - LS3, 6speed

Depending on what numbers you wanna believe... 0-60mph in 4.7, 1/4 mile in 13.2 @ 108mph.

A hayabusa it is not, but it'll seat 5 comfortably. One of the rare sedans that my head doesn't get wedged into the roofline in the back seat.

Can it turn?

I know that sucks big time. I am sure someone will pick up the manufacturer since it would put a shit ton of people out of work.

Yeah, what is Jack Hanna gonna do for extra money now that he can't do Saturn comercials?:rolleyes: He might have to schedual extra appearances on Letterman.

Serious though, I never agreed with someone who wants to promote wildlife and educate the public on animal diversity promoting the auto industry.:mad:

GXP has the brembos and FE3 suspension (Nurburgring tuned)

I think they look sharp, I won't have to get rid of it if I have a family because it's practical, and they only made 1829 of them.

I'm really not in the market for a new car, I'm doing it as a favor for my dad, but I think it'll be nice.

Why did they only make 1829 of them?

Why did they only make 1829 of them?

:dunno: ??? Because most people bought the GT. The GT is a better value, since there's a premium price to get the GXP. The GT has a 6.0L V8 with AFM (Active Fuel Mgmt - Cylinder deactivation) and gets 17/24MPG in a 360hp package.

The GXP gets you the 415hp 6.2L LS3 (same engine in the base corvette), brembo brakes, FE3 suspension, and the optional 6 speed manual (the all GTs have a 6sp auto). So, you pony up a lot to get 50 extra horses, better brakes, handling (which unless you're pulling AutoX duty, will be negligible), and a manual transmission (Tremec TR6060).

Ohh, and there's a $1700 gas guzzler tax for the GXP because it's 13/20MPG, since the LS3 doesn't have the AFM technology in it... you run on all 8, all the time.

GM basically sent an engine and trans down to Australia, they wrapped a car around it, and sent it back. Apparently they just decided to send 1829...1828 for public sale, and one for GM to keep.