Sprint HTC HERO

Hoblick

well getting out of my car the other night i dropped my HTC touch pro and it broke. wouldnt turn on at all. i went to sprint, they looked it over (told them it jsut wouldnt turn on) and they actually sent me out a new touch pro 2 for free.. should be here today actually.

but i was kicking around grabbing up a HTC Hero, and said hell with it and got one.

this thing is impressive, but also i kinda dont like it.

PROS

first off, its very fast compared to my touch pro. smooth transitions, screen resolution is beautiful. you can customize the background and lock screen and it just looks amazing. you can drag and drop icons, and widgets, and shortcuts anywhere on the screen and it has multiple screens to scroll through, but its seamless. and your background is like a panoramic background.

the push email is awesome. on the winmo devices like the touch pro, it will check your email depending when you have it scheduled to check every 10 min, 30 min, hour and so on.

apps.. and alot of free ones. no there isnt as many as iphone, but there is some good ones on the market place for DL and most are free. i have a facebook app installed, a very nice ebay app, and a few other little things.

camera... 5mp camera for the WIN! and uploading them to facebook is a sinch.

web browser.. works pretty well actually.. its just like safari, only better.

my reception has been alot better on this phone than on my TP.

the phone feels great in the hand. slim and perfect fit.

CONS

on screen keyboard. now im coming form a slide out keyboard, that i could jsut type away with. you can calibrate the keyboard, but it only goes so far. and there is predictable tet as well, but again that only goes so far. i miss my slide out keyboard already.. this is probably my biggest gripe about the phone.

screen size. its big, but not quite big enough i think. the touch pro 2 im getting has a slightly larger screen, and i think the hero should have been the same size.

contacts.. when i addded my gmail account to the phone it automatically transported every email address i ever sent or received in my email into my contacts. so now i have to go through and delete a shit ton of contacts.

the android OS is nice and useful, but its still a baby. there isnt a ton of apps for it yet, and it hasnt really hit baller status like the iphone where there is an app for everything. i think it will get there, but it may be a while. and i dont know if im willing to wait.

with that said. ill be writing another review on the Touch Pro 2 after i get it.

then i see what phone ill be keeping

I'm thinking about going to the Sprint store to have my phone "inspected" so I can pickup the TEP... that way if I scratch or drop it I can pick up a TP2

you dont have to have your phone inspected.

just call it in, and have them put the insurance on it.

i have had several phones, and only 2 of them were brand new, never had one inspected. just called them in to switch the plan over, and the insurance carries over to the new phone

you dont have to have your phone inspected.

just call it in, and have them put the insurance on it.

i have had several phones, and only 2 of them were brand new, never had one inspected. just called them in to switch the plan over, and the insurance carries over to the new phone

I called them a month or 2 ago about my MotoQ, they said the only way to add TEP was to take it to a local shop to have them inspect it.

Edit: Just called Sprint, they added it no problem, glad you said something. Man sprint's chat people SUCK!

yeah by the way, they are replacing the touch pro now with a touch pro 2

Yup, that's why I was thinking about adding it.

Edited by Likwid

I called them a month or 2 ago about my MotoQ, they said the only way to add TEP was to take it to a local shop to have them inspect it.

Edit: Just called Sprint, they added it no problem, glad you said something. Man sprint's chat people SUCK!

Yup, that's why I was thinking about adding it.

lol told ya. with sprint you always have to make 2 calls

I was in the Sprint store earlier this week with another Touch Pro keyboard issue, I got another touch pro (against my will) as a replacement. Fortunately they said next time I get complete equipment exchange and I'll be getting the Hero. So guess who's sliding their phone open and closed 100 times a day? This guy.

So does the Google store have any standout games yet?

Edited by V4junkie

Hoblick did you have to pay the deductible to get the replacement? Is it still $100?

V4, I had one keyboard issue, the space bar got stuck, pulled the battery, haven't had an issue since. I slide the phone open a lot with no other issues though!

You might not message as much as me, or you're lucky. There's a known issue with the Touch Pro that the ribbon cable to the keyboard worries itself loose over time from sliding the keyboard open. I'm on my 4th, looks like 5th one will be the charm.

For example:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=60777

ok well got to play with the TP2 today a bit.

and im not all that impressed.

bigger screen is a big plus, but after having the hero in my hands for the last couple of days, the touch pro 2 is just bulking and cumbersome.

the TP2's screen makes its stand out better to me than the hero, but the wow factor of the function of the phone is gone after having the hero. and the virtual keyboard is actually growing on me.in just a day or so i am not mis spelling nearly as many words when texting

and the biggest stand out to me is the hero is just plain faster. and its because its an android phone. I love what you can do with winmo, but it just cant beat the speed of android.

TP2 has shittier battery life as well, and the camera, still being a 3.2mp, isnt anywhere near that of the hero's 5mp in quality.

the keyboard on the TP2 is awesome, but took a bit of getting used to cause the buttons are bigger and spread out more.. and arranged a tad different then on my original TP.

the TP2 has some nice upgrades over the TP, but im still like the hero in function. i can do things and do things fast on the hero.

and again.. i still hate that on the TP2 it wont get email notifications as soon as they hit (like a text message) it has a schedule it runs on that you select.. from every 5 min to every 5 hours and everywhere in between. why cant it jsut get them when it gets them.

this puts the Hero in front big time for me.

also... yes you can put a wallpaper on the TP2 of whatever photo you choose, but to get it on there how you like, you gotta crop it or whatever on the PC first, then bring it on the phone and add it in your album and then choose it as your wallpaper.

on the hero, you do it all in one step.. the cropping and everything. and you get more of the picture cause its a panoramic wallpaper layout.

the tp2 doesnt have a lock screen. on my TP with the phone in my pocket , sometimes when i would pull it out of my pocket it would be on god knows what, editing a contact or something. i know i can get a cab file for the phone to fi it, but it should have came like that out of the box.

for some reason after using the android phone im just fed up with WinMo. the hero does everything the TP2 does and more besides doesnt have a hard keyboard.

i really wanted to like the TP2, but i think im gonan have to say fairwell... i think the hero is my new phone!

just would like to say again.. the HTC HERO is the shit.. i love this phone. i suggest anyone who thought about it to go pick one up.. its all that and more.

even if you are a slide out keyboard guy, this phone will impress you. just re calibrate the keyboard, and give it a few days and youll be set.