Darn Clutch Cable...

chevysoldier

Ok, so my daughter has been sick with the flu so our babysitter is watching her this week for fear her grandmother could get sick . My mom is watching her this week so I have had to take the truck to work:( so I can drop her off. Today is the only day out of the week I was gonna be able to ride. I packed up my laptop, hooked the bag on the bike. Donned my jacket, helmet and gloves. Started up the bike.:) Shifted into first and started out of the parking lot. I then pulled the clutch in and heard a "pop" noise.:mad: Realized my clutch cable said :bigfinger:. So I turned it off and pushed it back onto the parking lot. Took off my gear and got the truck. Needless to say I was a little pissed.

Called IP, they had a cable in stock. $18.89. Called my dad to pick it up on his way home from work. Got the cable. Installed the cable in the parking lot tonight, before it started to rain. Took it out on a test ride and realized that my cable had been stiff before. This is like shifting air. WOW! I guess it wasn't that bad of a day.:D

Didn't it make noise anyway, or was that the brake lever pressing on the master cylinder piston? (Short memory, and not my ride home to care about.)

Thats the brake lever you're thinking about. It presses on the cylinder at a slight angle and makes a lil noise/binds slightly. A little lube usually smoothes it out.

Lucky it popped before you got out somewhere.

Truth. Mine (on the '77) frayed most of the way out in Gahanna last week. I managed to float-shift the whole way home, nicking most of the lights. I also got the $18.xx one at Iron Pony (amazed that they had one in stock).

Glad it worked out, man.

Had that happen once on my old 650 Yamaha..broke at the lever..took out pocket knife,dug a hole thru the lever,took a licensce plate nut and bolt,wrapped cable around,stuck thru lever..as far as I know it is still like that..if the bike is still on the road.

Win! Didn't I see that on http://www.thereifixedit.com?

:D