HID's?

Jcroz91

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're getting them to "look cool" then the higher temp the better

If you're getting them to see better, then you want to stick with < 4500K. The more green/yellow the light is, the better your eye can see and distinguish it in a low light situation.

Why do you think nearly all the night vision goggles output light in the green spectrum?

well i want it to be bright too. cause i have a smoked visor on my helmet. so it helps haveing brighter lights

Then, like I said get lights 4500K or less (though the stuff I've read said up to 5200K is ok). Their output is going to be in the green/yellow spectrum - not the blueish tint you see on high end luxury vehicles.

Don't mix the terms color (Temp in Kelvin), with brightness (lumens).

Further reading....

Human vision Test (Navy) - if you don't understand it, just go the chart on page 4. Peak eye sensitivity at 555nm (GREEN light)

From the E46 forums:

Taken from CA auto-tech's website... just from people asking too many times

"KELVIN RATINGSTo set the record straight on Kelvin ratings as applied to HID :

* Kelvin is a measure of color temperature and NOT the actual lighting power or output

* It is generally accepted that the best Kelvin rating for optimal human night vision is between 3800 and 5500 K

* All our 35 W HID kits run at 4100 K , and our 50W Racing kits are available at 4000 TO 5500 K

* Anything over 5750 K and human vision and depth perception is significantly reduced

* Anything over 6000 K and the actual lighting output/power reduces exponentially

* Many companies claim to offer 8000- 12000 K Bulbs ...if this were true the headlight would shine DARK BLUE TO EVEN DARKER PURPLE !! (and they do...) "

So people, 5.5K-6K is the limit until your sight starts to degrade....

Or you could not use a smoked Visor at night like a numbnuts.

Just a thought.

But you would be happy with a 5K or 6K....Both are definately a nice "HID" look while still making a drastic improvement in the light output.

+1 its a lame way to get a ticket too

Good news. Your Gixxer uses a projector lens for its low beam.

The reason you get that bluish tint but still project white light is due to the curvature of the lens in the headlight.

So, since I don't have the time to basically explain, short answer is buy a 55 watt 4500K kit. It'll be bright white and have that bluish color from certain angles. And make sure that you aim the headlight correctly after installing it. Oh and it will cost roughly $60 I think. Don't go 35 watt, go 55 watt.

The reason you get that bluish tint but still project white light is due to the curvature of the lens in the headlight.

So, since I don't have the time to basically explain, short answer is buy a 55 watt 4500K kit. It'll be bright white and have that bluish color from certain angles. And make sure that you aim the headlight correctly after installing it. Oh and it will cost roughly $60 I think. Don't go 35 watt, go 55 watt.

his projector is the high beam and the reflector bowl (low beam) will give lots of glare.

aiming wont really help to much a hid in a halogen reflector housing will always have a "scavenging" effect

is this whole conversation serious? You want a single beam hid kit and its up to you wether you want 2 bulbs for low and high or if you are only doing low beam.

k cool iv just never gotten into this before. i dont wanna buy the wrong stuff