HID's?

Jcroz91

do not get the 55W setup, that's a ridiculous amount of light and installed in a reflector housing is dangerous to other drivers. 35W setup is already outputting 3x more lumens than halogen bulbs (~1000 lumens v. ~3000 lumens). just be aware that with reflector housings you're about to become that asshole who blinds the fuck out of everyone he drives behind and toward. i used to run my high beams at night but after my HID conversion, the lack of cutoff on the high beam, even in a projector housing, is blinding. You're better off getting some high-temp PIAA bulbs instead of HIDs to get the look and a bit more light output without becoming a hazard.

Edited by smashweights

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do not get the 55W setup, that's a ridiculous amount of light and installed in a reflector housing is dangerous to other drivers. 35W setup is already outputting 3x more lumens than halogen bulbs (~1000 lumens v. ~3000 lumens). just be aware that with reflector housings you're about to become that asshole who blinds the fuck out of everyone he drives behind and toward. i used to run my high beams at night but after my HID conversion, the lack of cutoff on the high beam, even in a projector housing, is blinding. You're better off getting some high-temp PIAA bulbs instead of HIDs to get the look and a bit more light output without becoming a hazard.

id much rather be seen at night on a bike than not seen

his projector is the high beam and the reflector bowl (low beam) will give lots of glare.

WTF?! That's fucking retarded. Why would Suzuki use the projector lens as the high beam and the reflector as the low beam. That's the exact opposite of what you want. The projector should provide a nice sharp, low cutoff and the reflector should send light everywhere which is why its a better high beam. (Like every other manufacturer does.)

Here's a how-to for a K7/K8 Gixxer HID install. If you're not mechanically inclined, I'd suggest finding a friend that is. This shit isn't just plug and play.

http://www.gsxr.com/showthread.php?t=62038

Also, just like to say that Suzuki engineers are fucking retarded for setting up their headlight the exact opposite of every other manufacturer on earth.

Here's a how-to for a K7/K8 Gixxer HID install. If you're not mechanically inclined, I'd suggest finding a friend that is. This shit isn't just plug and play.

http://www.gsxr.com/showthread.php?t=62038

Also, just like to say that Suzuki engineers are fucking retarded for setting up their headlight the exact opposite of every other manufacturer on earth.

thanks boss...

id much rather be seen at night on a bike than not seen

if you have a working headlight currently, you're going to be seen just fine. in fact, if all they see is a blinding ball of light, you're more likely to be swerved into by someone who cant see the road.

if you have a working headlight currently, you're going to be seen just fine. in fact, if all they see is a blinding ball of light, you're more likely to be swerved into by someone who cant see the road.

You're one of those guys huh.

You think HID's are not worthwhile.....Well if you haven't had a set...you dont have a clue.

I would almost not have another bike without them, the difference is immeasurable.

It just might needed adjusted properly, but a good set will place the bulb in the right location and almost no adjustment will be needed.

Just my .02 cents.

LOL! check my sig Mattkatz. i've got a set of 35W DDM 6000k in my R6. Difference is great, but my bike come stock with projectors and the low beam cutoff throws next to no light into other cars cabins. it's why i wont stick a set in my jetta, though, no beam cutoff.

What's your point?

point is that high beams are not good for HID because they have a warm up time so you can't flash your highs and a HID in the stock bowl looks like shit, creates glare and could get you in trouble with the Cops.

I guess neither of us would have went to all of the trouble to make custom headlights if it was as easy as just putting an HID in the stock light. Or I was trying to show him a neat way to do a HID headlight that works well. Do you have any examples of a HID setup in that generation GSXR?

Ok, I was thinking that was a custom light setup. I do agree, HID headlight bulb in a stock reflector housing sucks ballsack.

They are custom, we worked on them together and that is why they are both very similar. A lot of people on gixxer.com made dual projector setups but I dont think any of them were as sexy as Campus racers or GSXRNurses. I have a feeling that someone on this forum is going to have an ungodly awesome setup soon.

wow... dont act like you dont know what i mean. do "they" as in companies make them?

Obviously I didn't know what you meant. Frankly, the way you asked the question made you look like a retard. There are hundreds of companies that make HID kits for MC's I'd suggest Xenonking 6K high and low. Ya get what ya pay for and I'm sure you will prolly get the cheap ass kit off E Ghey and then complain when they get fucked up. :nono:

Alright we're good in here! :lol:

Something meaningful, I have HIDs on the R6 and they seem to be in the stock housings. The warmup on the high beams isn't terrible, but it's definitely noticeable. It also throws a beam everywhere so I try to be careful with it. That also means it's bright but would definitely light the path better if it was more focused. My visor has a very light mirror on it so the HIDs help with that slight dimming effect, if it was a full smoked shield I wouldn't use it in the dark, but that's just me. Get the best kit you can afford, seeing is pretty important.

And with all due respect, the better your wording, the more helpful the response. I don't get how people jump on a board full of live literate people and expect 'Guys the can I buy lights mine are not to be bright enuf, thanks.' to not bring out the grammar police? Alright, /rant

Edited by V4junkie