How do you identify a chicken strip? I'm looking for a lesson in chickenstripology

thomez

1st off, I wouldn't be running hard on them tires at all, trying to get rid of "chicken strips".... they look a little old to me. :eek:

2nd, a "chicken strip" is the un-used part of the tire, where a rider didn't get the bike all the way over to the edge. You can see it where the scuffed part (used tire) meets the nice shiny part (un-used). That is a chicken strip.

Now, I'm not one to judge a person's riding ability by looking at their tires. If you look at mine, you can see a small chicken strip on it, but that is from riding on the street. Take the same bike to the track, and you won't see them on my tires.

I don't like to ride 100% "balls out" on the street where I can crash due to dirt in the road and then possibility get ran over! I take that shit to the track where there is some kind of "control" or order.

My advice to you, don't worry about the chicken strips, I don't see any on your tires...but if you worry about it too much and push yourself on the street to impress someone else or so your tires look "cool", then you might end up crashing. No need to crash pushing your limits on the street, take it to the track! :flag:

DSCN4831.jpg

DSCN5164.jpg

our 250 tires dont show chicken strips well if at all, and also they are usually thin on our tires due (if you can see them) to the fact that the treads dont wrap around as much as some other tires do. if you want to see some chicken strips go to a bike night or something and find someone with a brand new 1000cc bike, and youll see what everyone talks about.

1st off, I wouldn't be running hard on them tires at all, trying to get rid of "chicken strips".... they look a little old to me. :eek:

Believe it or not... they were new when I got the bike only 3 months and 2600 or so miles ago... they are just garbage tires. I figured I'd wear 'em out and then get something decent... or a new bike.

Also, I don't really care if I do have chicken strips, I was just wondering what they were since it is so often talked about. I won't do anything stupid trying to impress.... it's a Ninja 250 after all ... :D

Thanks for the lesson.

I just use them to gauge 'what's left' when I take breaks throughout each ride... Mine are completely gone in the back and down to a 1/4" or so in the front, but throughout the course of a ride they come and go... not true strips, but you can still see the difference with the wear...

The wife and I were going to the store yesterday and about 5 sportbikes riding together in full squid gear passed. They were all reving the crap out of the bikes. I think all of them had two inch chicken strips on both sides of the tires.

It was at that point I got to explain to the wife what a squid is.

The wife and I were going to the store yesterday and about 5 sportbikes riding together in full squid gear passed. They were all reving the crap out of the bikes. I think all of them had two inch chicken strips on both sides of the tires.

It was at that point I got to explain to the wife what a squid is.

what do you mean by full squid gear? i always thought a squid sign is the absence of gear. :dunno:

2nd, a "chicken strip" is the un-used part of the tire, where a rider didn't get the bike all the way over to the edge. You can see it where the scuffed part (used tire) meets the nice shiny part (un-used). That is a chicken strip.

Now, I'm not one to judge a person's riding ability by looking at their tires. If you look at mine, you can see a small chicken strip on it, but that is from riding on the street. Take the same bike to the track, and you won't see them on my tires.

I don't like to ride 100% "balls out" on the street where I can crash due to dirt in the road and then possibility get ran over! I take that shit to the track where there is some kind of "control" or order.

My advice to you, don't worry about the chicken strips, I don't see any on your tires...but if you worry about it too much and push yourself on the street to impress someone else or so your tires look "cool", then you might end up crashing. No need to crash pushing your limits on the street, take it to the track! :flag:

I agree. some bikes just won't lean over as far as some, either depending on footpeg placement or centerstands. My KLT will use the whole rear tire but still have a lot of lean left in the front. Fireman_343 were those pictures from a track day race? thats some serious adrenaline rush there. Makes me still want a sport bike. But i think a dual sport suzuki dl650 is in my next plans. And from riding my brothers they don't lean too bad either. they just came out with abs too!

dont worry about a strip or not, ride at your pace where you are comfortable. with time, experience and the right road/traffic/racetrack will take care of all problems

+1

ride your ride dude. Don't be a poser. Just ride and enjoy the wind and the fresh air. Looking at someone's rear tire and making judgments about their riding and racing ability is retarding high school shit. Ride your ride.

Fireman_343 were those pictures from a track day race? thats some serious adrenaline rush there. Makes me still want a sport bike. But i think a dual sport suzuki dl650 is in my next plans. And from riding my brothers they don't lean too bad either. they just came out with abs too!

The 1st pic is of my street bike (R6) and the 2nd pic is from my race bike after a race. Point, being... you can see a small strip on my R6's rear tire, as well as my front... doesn't mean I can't ride! 2nd pic shows ya that!