Nikon d5000?

gixxie750

Camera guys need help! I am going to get a nice camera finally and the best bang for the buck i have found is the nikon d5000. It does video and has 12.3megapix. It comes with 2 lenses and will be $850 OTD. Good camera? The d30 and d90 are wayyyyyy to much $$$,but would i miss any features? I have till Sun to lock in this price so any info would be freeking great!

Hey Brandon. I'm a professional photographer and I manage a Cord Camera. If you are interested, I can give you all the details on the camera, and see what you might need.

I'm guessing it's the 18-55VR, and the 55-200VR. The camera is a positive step from the D60. If you are interested, drop a message, and I'll get my phone number to you.

RFM, aka Aprilia Guy

The kit is a 18-55, and a 55-200. Good focal range, and perfectly suitable for outdoor track photography. Low light, it's a bit sketchy though. Have to remember the flash is only good for about 7-15 feet too.

I shoot Nikon, starting with the first generation D100, D70, D200, D300, and D700. The girl I work with shoots Canon (5D Mk II), so I'm familiar with the two main line ups. Anybody is welcome to ask a question or two as well. Hopefully I was able to help you with your questions, Brandon. Cheers!

Rfm

rfm u are the man! Great info and very helpfull. This camera cord place is a good place. They need to advertise more! BTW going here in about 20min to pay for the cam. I hope to get it by mon...

It's all bundled up and heading your way. Use it in good health!:turkey:

The kit is a 18-55, and a 55-200. Good focal range, and perfectly suitable for outdoor track photography. Low light, it's a bit sketchy though. Have to remember the flash is only good for about 7-15 feet too.

Rfm

...,but is the camera? The D5000 AF is notoriously slow. Combine that with slow, entry level lenses and the camera is mostly only good for still shots in good light.

...,but is the camera? The D5000 AF is notoriously slow. Combine that with slow, entry level lenses and the camera is mostly only good for still shots in good light.

11 pt. AF, with the AF-S lenses, are going to focus much better than past generation set ups. My problem with the D40-D60 was the 3 segment focusing. That has been addressed.

Add to that a 4fps fire rate, and it should be fine. Will it compete with a D300 or D700? Will it compete with a 50D or a 7D? Not at all. Will it compete with the XS, XSi favourably? Very much so. It's closest to the T1i, but cheaper.

One thing i have learned through this is there is mass brand loyalty lol. I almost went d90 last min,but couldnt get the balls lol. I am over all very happy with the camera and its options. I will be taking mass pics and next time i see RFM i'm gona have him show me how to use this thing for real. Thanks for all ur help everyone! Cant wait to take pics lol.

Sorry knowing people that switched from the D5000 to the Xsi the focus is far better on the Canon. It isn't about the number points. The contrast based AF on the D5000 isnt very good and is a well known issue.

Don't take my word...

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Nikond5000/page33.asp

The contrast based af is only on live view. Live view is a gee-whiz feature that doesn't affect most photographers. Only a complete twat would use live view on any camera at a track day...:D

I used the D90 at the Steelers game and must say that I want one of those as my very own. I think for especially at the track, it would be the best tool for use. Everything else I have looked at seems to be not as good. Of course, that price is killing me, but I found a few used ones in a not so bad price range...