really want a dual sport/motard

oldschoolsdime92

No, just keep running into the sales people who could screw up selling water to a person on fire. Ran into one once who didn't even ride and knew nothing more than what was on the sales pamphlet.

As for thinking off road riding on a four wheeler is like off roading a motorcycle, well all I can say is have fun. :lol: Can I be there with a video cam? ;)

So, you assume ALL salesmen are the same way? Nice... There are PLENTY of sales people that I know that I am sure can show you and pretty much anyone else around a dirt trail, track or park. Not to mention pavement...

Many are enthusiasts like us all and just like people who drive cars, not all are idiots...

What are you talking about me referring to ATV riding? Not sure where you got that from...? I was referring to the turd seen here:

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/suzuki/2005-suzuki-drz-400-sm-18268.html

And towards any other so called "Motard" bike like the one the OP posted from CL...

There are only a few true Sumo bikes. Others are dual sport (which is perfectly fine) which isn't seemingly what he is wanting...

No, just keep running into the sales people who could screw up selling water to a person on fire. Ran into one once who didn't even ride and knew nothing more than what was on the sales pamphlet.

As for thinking off road riding on a four wheeler is like off roading a motorcycle, well all I can say is have fun. :lol: Can I be there with a video cam? ;)

I am not assuming, as I have definitely spent time on two wheels offroad. just not near as much as I have four.

So, you assume ALL salesmen are the same way? Nice... There are PLENTY of sales people that I know that I am sure can show you and pretty much anyone else around a dirt trail, track or park. Not to mention pavement...

Many are enthusiasts like us all and just like people who drive cars, not all are idiots...

:cool:Down Cujo, like i said, I seem to find the bad ones.:rolleyes: I'm sure there are some really great and knowledgable sales men out there. Too bad their usually on coffee break when I arrive. :D Obviously I've dealt with some who are not so bad since I have a few bikes. But you have to admit, as with car salesmen the bad seem to outnumber the good.

What are you talking about me referring to ATV riding? Not sure where you got that from...? I was referring to the turd seen here:

Directed at the OP, not you.:cool:

I am not assuming, as I have definitely spent time on two wheels offroad. just not near as much as I have four.

Okay, it sounded like it was all on four wheels. I had mental images of some really funny go downs.;) Edited by buildit

I really want a dual sport or super moto, so i am starting my savings fund. Does anyone have any recomendations? I looked around alittle on craigslist but I cant seem to find much. Whats everyones thoughts? I think I would prefer a dual sport over a sm because I want to be able to do some trail riding too.

:D I'm definately not an expert, but it's nice to see someone else who values a dual sport!

There are only a few true Sumo bikes. Others are dual sport (which is perfectly fine) which isn't seemingly what he is wanting...

Sounded to me like he wanted more DS than SM.

I think I would prefer a dual sport over a sm because I want to be able to do some trail riding too.

Like everything with 2-wheels, it's a compromise. The more you ask of your bike, the more it will suffer in some areas, that's just the nature of it. DS bikes are not great at anything, but good enough for everything. If he's not going to REALLY do the motard thing but wants the functionality of one for pavement, then a DS with SM wheels is very definitely the cheaper & easier way to go. A DRZSM or WRR/X will do everything from street to single track, and you can find either used fairly reasonably. The DRZSM and the WRR are very close in performance & weight....the WRR has a 6-speed gear box and FI, but the DRZSM is a reliable, capable dual sport/SM.

You can opt for a race-bred bike with a DS kit, but with it comes the downsides of race bikes. If you don't want to change oil after every ride or do your valves alot, opt for a WRR or something like it and enjoy. It'll do everything you want, perhaps not as fast as a KTM but with a lot less fuss.

I've owned a couple SM's that would stand up straight without clutch, but they were miserable on tight single track. Likewise, my TTR250 is an unstoppable tractor offroad, but isn't much for high speed pavement. If I wanted both in one bike, I'd buy an WRX with a set of dirt wheels, or a Husky 610, or if I could find neither a DRZ.