Afganistan Stealth Drone

ReconRat

Sometimes I see stuff in the mil-spec news that is just not ordinary.

Wired.com DangerRoom

Mysteries Surround Afghanistan’s Stealth Drone

beastofkanharar.jpg

Earlier this year, blurry pictures were released by the French magazine Air & Cosmos of a previously unknown stealth drone taken at Kandahar in Afghanistan...Photo: Secret Défense

Edited by ReconRat

UPDATE: Well whadya know. The Air Force has confirmed the Beast’s existence to Aviation Week. Officially, it’s an RQ-170 Sentinel, developed by Lockheed and flown by the flown by the 30th Reconnaissance Squadron at Tonopah Test Range, Nev.
Aviation Week

USAF Confirms Stealthy UAV Operations

Dec 4, 2009

David A. Fulghum davef@aviationweek.com

Bill Sweetman william_sweetman@aviationweek.com

Sentinel-Air-and-Cosmos.jpg

The U.S. Air Force has confirmed to Aviation Week the existence of the so-called "Beast of Kandahar" UAV, a stealth-like remotely piloted jet seen flying out of Afghanistan in late 2007.

The RQ-170 Sentinel, believed to be a tailless flying wing design with sensor pods faired into the upper surface of each wing, was developed by Lockheed Martin's Advanced Development Programs (ADP), better known as Skunk Works. An Air Force official revealed Dec. 4 that the service is "developing a stealthy unmanned aircraft system (UAS) to provide reconnaissance and surveillance support to forward deployed combat forces."

The UAV had been discussed on the Ares technology blog, as well as elsewhere online, but the USAF statement to Aviation Week was the first to detail the aircraft.

"The fielding of the RQ-170 aligns with Secretary of Defense Robert M. Gates' request for increased intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) support to the combatant commanders and Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. Norton Schwartz's vision for an increased USAF reliance on unmanned aircraft," says the emailed statement.

The RQ-170 is flown by the 30th Reconnaissance Squadron at Tonopah Test Range, Nev. - home of the F-117 stealth fighter when the program's existence was secret - and falls under Air Combat Command's 432d Wing at Creech Air Force Base, Nev. At Kandahar, the Sentinel was seen operating out of General Atomics Aeronautical Systems' hangar.

The 30th RS was activated as part of the 57th Operations Group on Sept. 1, 2005, and a squadron patch was approved July 17, 2007. The activation - although not the full meaning of the event - was noted among those who watch for signs of activity in the classified world.

The RQ-170 designation is similar to that of the F-117 - a correct prefix, but out of sequence to avoid obvious guesses of a program's existence. Technically, the RQ designation denotes an unarmed aircraft rather than the MQ prefix applied to the armed Predator and Reaper UAVs. The USAF phrase, "Support to forward deployed combat forces," when combined with observed details, suggest a moderate degree of stealth (including a blunt leading edge, simple nozzle and overwing sensor pods) and that the Sentinel is a tactical, operations-oriented platform and not a strategic intelligence-gathering design.

Many questions remain about the aircraft's use. If it is a high-altitude aircraft it is painted an unusual color - medium grey overall, like Predator or Reaper, rather then the dark gray or overall black that provides the best concealment at very high altitudes. The wingspan appears to be about 65-ft., about the same as an MQ-9 Reaper. With only a few Internet images to judge from - all taken from the left side - the impression is of a deep, fat centerbody blended into the outer wings.

With its low-observable design, the aircraft might be useful for flying the borders of Iran and peering into China, India and Pakistan for useful data about missile tests, telemetry as well as gathering signals and multi-spectral intelligence.

Read the Ares post on the Sentinel.

Photo: Air & Cosmos

damn i coulda swore they said it was northrup. i = fails

Not really, we could probably find one or more from Northrup and even Boeing that look just like it.

Northrup RPV for US Navy unmanned shipboard attack fighter program:

J-UCAS-on-AC-Deck.jpg

AW_04_02_2007_1397_L.jpg

Edited by ReconRat

Don't they have one at the Air Force Museum?

There's several RPVs there at the Air Force Museum.

There isn't anything real current listed as being there,

but I thought I saw one last time I went there.

If there is a newer one there, it isn't on their list.

Boeing Bird of Prey

071108-F-1234S-008.jpg

Northrop Grumman RQ-4 Global Hawk

080805-F-1234S-001.jpg

General Atomics RQ-1 Predator

050322-F-1234P-012.jpg

edit: Yeah I did see one. Here it is...

Boeing X-45A J-UCAS

060922-F-1234P-003.JPG

Edited by ReconRat