Starter Thud noise??

chevysoldier

Ok well since I have put the bike away, I am taking this opprotunity to fix some stuff.

On mornings when its about 45 degrees or below, when I first go to start the bike up first thing in the morning sometimes when I push the start button, the starter will spin maybe once and all of a sudden it just goes thud. If I keep pushing it, I get the same thud over and over. If I leave it sit for 30 seconds or more, it usually won' thud again and will fire right up. I'm not really sure what this could be and am hoping maybe someone has run into this problem before.

Anyone??

Weak battery or bad starter??? I have NEVER had starter problems on a bike yet. In a car i would say get a new starter.

It's a brand new battery, well earlier this year. Never had any electrical issues.

Did you pull the cover yet to look at the starter clutch and gears like I mentioned? If there's no problems in there, then it is probably the starter itself (brushes?) Discuss it tomorrow at work...

No didn't pull the cover yet. Got all the carb screws broken loose, after using an impact driver, vise grips and a dremel to slot them and use a flat tip screw driver. Those damn bolts were tight!! And I got one cleaned out pretty good, 3 more to go.

I'm gonna get a gasket for that side before I pull the cover since it it seeping a little bit.

It's a brand new battery, well earlier this year. Never had any electrical issues.

No didn't pull the cover yet. Got all the carb screws broken loose, after using an impact driver, vise grips and a dremel to slot them and use a flat tip screw driver. Those damn bolts were tight!! And I got one cleaned out pretty good, 3 more to go.

I'm gonna get a gasket for that side before I pull the cover since it it seeping a little bit.

Should've grabbed my Snap-on phillips bit, it has ACR's to keep it from "camming out" out the screw head.

That cover might not even take a gasket, or even if it does, you can probably use sealer (Hondabond, or the right stuff, not just RTV).

Should've grabbed my Snap-on phillips bit, it has ACR's to keep it from "camming out" out the screw head.

Yeah thankfully Mike had some screws that fit, I think I replaced 7 of them. I'll look more at the cover tomorrow, or after the carbs are done.

Yeah thankfully Mike had some screws that fit, I think I replaced 7 of them. I'll look more at the cover tomorrow, or after the carbs are done.

I probably had some on my bench you could have had! That set of carbs is pretty much a "parts pile" now. I might use one of the bodies, and misc pieces here and ther on my bike, but not the whole set.

Ok well since I have put the bike away, I am taking this opprotunity to fix some stuff.

On mornings when its about 45 degrees or below, when I first go to start the bike up first thing in the morning sometimes when I push the start button, the starter will spin maybe once and all of a sudden it just goes thud. If I keep pushing it, I get the same thud over and over. If I leave it sit for 30 seconds or more, it usually won' thud again and will fire right up. I'm not really sure what this could be and am hoping maybe someone has run into this problem before.

Anyone??

Bad grease in starter solenoid.

(Or bad gear in the same place)

Tear it down and do a re-build this winter.

Check the brushes and the bearing grease.

Adjust as needed.

Ride like the wind in the spring!

Bad grease in starter solenoid.

(Or bad gear in the same place)

Tear it down and do a re-build this winter.

Check the brushes and the bearing grease.

Adjust as needed.

Ride like the wind in the spring!

I was thinking something along the lines of oil/grease. Wouldn't think it would be the gear since it only happens on cold mornings. Ill Tear it apart though and check it out, hopefully it is something obvious.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I think I figured it out. I put the bike back together and put the starter cover back on with some hondabond(RTV). Well it made the same noise but worse when I tried to start it up. Traced the sound to the starter cover, I loosened the bolts on the cover and it started right up. So I think the clearances on the rods the gears fit on between the cover and engine are too tight with just RTV so I am going to get the actual gasket and see if that increases the clearances and works. Hopefully...

Well I think I figured it out. I put the bike back together and put the starter cover back on with some hondabond(RTV). Well it made the same noise but worse when I tried to start it up. Traced the sound to the starter cover, I loosened the bolts on the cover and it started right up. So I think the clearances on the rods the gears fit on between the cover and engine are too tight with just RTV so I am going to get the actual gasket and see if that increases the clearances and works. Hopefully...

Interesting, but makes (some) sense.

For what the issue is. I would think it would have been an issue before you first started noticing it.

Yeah, I dunno. I'll get the gasket and see what happens.

ReconRat,

It could be an aftermarket cover that doesn't fit just right. The previous owner laid it down on that side. One of the cover's bottom bolt threads, on the engine side, are broken off and they tried to repair it with epoxy or something. Which I have to re-repair because the epoxy fell off so there are no threads to hold that bolt in....