Automotive help

Goldie

Water pump. Is it a 4cyl, or V6? Either way, it's driven by the timing belt, get that, too. Labor cost is nearly the same for either, total job at our shop is roughly $400, parts and labor.

2.2 4 cylinder. Would a new timing belt be required, or could I skate by without it?

most likely a water pump then. Reach down onto the water pump pully and try to wiggle it. If it wiggles at all its the water pump. or while running look down at the wp and see if fluid is coming out of the weep hole in the pump.

Behind the timing cover. Thank you Toyota! I'm not gonna go into the issues I had on a Corolla last week with a simple water pump gasket... That one wasn't driven by the t-belt, but the timing cover still had to come off, the first AND second time.... Argghhhh... Glad that one wasn't my fault!

2.2 4 cylinder. Would a new timing belt be required, or could I skate by without it?

They say that ANY time the t-belt is loosened to replace it, and I say that if it shows ANY wear, replace it. If it's not been done recently, I would not skimp. There is still hope that it's not the pump, but all the clues are pointing that way.

dam its in there under the tb cover? Sounds like a real fun time! Make sure you guys take pics so i get a little more info on the yotas. And yes if the timing belt is involved deff replace while your near it.

Funny thing is, we usually advise the other way around, replacing the water pump when doing the t-belt for maintenance! :lol:

thats how we reccomend them. timing belt kits as well not just the belt.

There are only a few applications we advise the kit on from the get go. Most we just inspect everything, and we've had a good record with them. The Ford Zetec is one that we always advise a kit with, along with VW TDI's.

I dont inspect any cars timing belt I go off mileage only. I just did my timing belt on my zetec and that thing couldnt have been easier. The mactools zetec tool helps but I was amazed how easy it was.

I didn't know they made a special tool! We don't do many, so I doubt I'd get it, unless it's cheap!

Never done a vw timing belt. Pretty involved? I know everything else on vw's is. I did a hybrid accord timing belt today that was a pain in the ass.

Ya know, VW's actually arent so bad. I don't mind working on them at all! The new Beetles are a bit cramped, but not THAT bad. They have their quirks, but not much more than anything else. The transverse mounted engines are pretty straight forward, but the longitudinal mounted ones, such as the Passat, or the A4 is a bit intimidating at first. You literally pull the front bumper and move the core support out a couple inches! It's not difficult, and the labor is very fair, and do-able, just reading the procedure in Alldata (which is pretty much the OE info) is confusing.

The nice thing about our shop is that we get to work on just about everything! From Geo Metro's to Beemer's, a Skyline GT-R (not the US Nissan GT-R) classic muscle cars, medium duty trucks, and all makes and models! We even did some minor stuff on a Lambo Diablo! We also do some crazy engine swaps, domestic and imports. Yeah, I like it there!

could be the water pump, could be a hose that when the car is running the hose expands do to heat and exposes a pin hole and leaks from there... my mustang had a pin hole on one of the hoses running into the backside top of the intake manifold and was spraying coolant all over my engine bay, took me about a week to find out exactly where it was coming from.. it was making a mess on the right side of my firewall, i thought it was leaking out of one of the heater core hoses but i was off about a 12 inches.. like i said all it was was a pin hole, i just cut the hose down past the hole and put it back on 5 minutes of time and 0$... just double check things and make sure you know where its coming from before you tear things apart that dont need to be apart and end up replacing things that dont need replaced...although replacing the timing belt may be a good idea.. you dont want that thing to snap or jump a tooth on the gear, youll really be shitty on price of repairs then! my $0.02

With aftermarket parts, it's all about the supplier. The water pumps we install at the shop are always NEW, unless the custmoer spcifies reman, and they're from ASC industries. They are an OE supplier to some companies, and the quality has alwasys been top-notch for us, with the exception of the one that came in without a gasket last week, and ended in a fiasco, but that wasn't their fault that someone had opened it and lifted the gaskets out of it....

probably but i youve never done a timing belt it is very easy to mess up and blow your engine. and jporter that zetec tool from mac is like 20 bucks. it has the bar that slides and holds the cams in place and a bolt that runs in on the bottom right and holds the crank from spinning.

probably but i youve never done a timing belt it is very easy to mess up and blow your engine. and jporter that zetec tool from mac is like 20 bucks. it has the bar that slides and holds the cams in place and a bolt that runs in on the bottom right and holds the crank from spinning.

wow thats a handy little tool huh?

Ah, ok. I already have the bar to hold the cams from a set that we had bought when we did our first SOHC 4.0, I think. Really, any piece of flat stock close to the same thickness works, and ironically, that's something you need on a VW TDI! The special tool that they list on the newer onesis different, but the flat bar will work. On the TDI, you just need to use a feeler gauge to take up the space so that the cam will be just right. Most of the time, I just leave the pulley intact and don't need to be exact, as the belt will pullit back into alignment. The injection pump takes a pin tool to align it, but I find a drill bit that's the right diameter instead of the special tool. Wow, all this is coming from memory, other than verifying that the newer ones use the same tools as the mid to late 90's cars!