DNA Fabrication???

chevysoldier

Well I was watching SVU tonight and they made a reference to DNA fabrication and since I had not heard of this, thought I'd do some reasearch. Apparently it is true. This article is dated 17 August 09, so I don't know if anyone else has heard this before. I thought It was some pretty crazy stuff.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/18/science/18dna.html

Scientists in Israel have demonstrated that it is possible to fabricate DNA evidence, undermining the credibility of what has been considered the gold standard of proof in criminal cases.

The scientists fabricated blood and saliva samples containing DNA from a person other than the donor of the blood and saliva. They also showed that if they had access to a DNA profile in a database, they could construct a sample of DNA to match that profile without obtaining any tissue from that person.

I don't know what to think other than, what happens when uncle Sam wants to pt someone away? How are we gonna stop them? They could literally construct the whole case witout you! That's scary!

Yeah, that is a very scary but real possibility. But just like bullet matching, DNA wil probablyl soon be inadmissable.

• 4 weeks later...

I heard recently that some states are now allowing accussed to demand the scientist who developed a test to be faorced to appear in court to defend the method if the prosecuter uses the results of said test as evidence.

So does this mean if math equations used for analysis of skid length are used they'll force Newton onto the stand to testify? :lol: