Anyone do desktop comp. work on the side?

Goldie

So my wife was downloading music last month, and then all of a sudden the comp took a major shit.

Long story short, we got a virus (or at least I think), and it stopped any programs from opening. Like it infected the .exe files.

I did a destructive recovery, reinstalled Norton 09, and thought all would be well. I was wrong. Internet still doesn't work.

Anyone here work on comps on the side and able to take a look at the comp for me? I would be happy to compensate you, I just don't want to pay retail. I'm an unemployed Jew.

So my wife was downloading music last month, and then all of a sudden the comp took a major shit.

Long story short, we got a virus (or at least I think), and it stopped any programs from opening. Like it infected the .exe files.

I did a destructive recovery, reinstalled Norton 09, and thought all would be well. I was wrong. Internet still doesn't work.

Anyone here work on comps on the side and able to take a look at the comp for me? I would be happy to compensate you, I just don't want to pay retail. I'm an unemployed Jew.

I may be able to help you out.

so when you say "the internet doesnt work" what do you mean?

you can IM me on AIM X1oft.

***edit*** or you can PM me or Post here... doesnt matter to me.

Edited by Xyloft

You probably don't have all the drivers loaded for the pc' date=' in particular the NIC card (network interface card).[/quote']

My guess also, but I wasn't going to go that far, since there are so many NIC variations out there to try to help find a driver for....

BMWboy, you might want to download the drivers that go to the motherboard in your system.

Is this a manufatured system, or a custom build? For a mfg'd system (Dell, HP, Gateway) you can get the drivers from their site. If it's a custom built, you'd have to find out what motherboard is in it, and go to their sute and get the drivers. If it's an add-in NIC, find the model of the card and go to the site and get the drivers.... See a pattern here? :lol:

Well I have done destructive recoveries on the computer several times, and never had a problem before. So that is what makes me think it is potentially virus related.

But I can't DL the drivers because the internet doesn't work. Or now that I say that, I could probably save them to a flash drive, and DL them to the desktop.

When I say the internet doesn't work, I mean when I start Internet explorer, it says "offline" mode. It then tells me to uncheck offline mode, and try again. When I do that it says server unavailable.

I know the internet works fine though because my Xbox and 2 lap tops run the same internet.

Oh, and yes it is a standard HP, nothin' special. Sounds like I need to get on their website and start looking for some drivers.

P.S. - Dude what don't you do. You're an animal!

I don't do much, I'm pretty f'n lazy, actually! :lol:

Strictly Street is the man in your area that can get you going!

Based on it being a HP, I bet it IS a driver issue. I ahve one that I take care of that sometimes when I do a destructive recovery on, it needs help to get it going again. I've never reloaded a PC as many times as I have that POS HP..... It doesn't get much use any more....

Well I have done destructive recoveries on the computer several times, and never had a problem before. So that is what makes me think it is potentially virus related.

But I can't DL the drivers because the internet doesn't work. Or now that I say that, I could probably save them to a flash drive, and DL them to the desktop.

When I say the internet doesn't work, I mean when I start Internet explorer, it says "offline" mode. It then tells me to uncheck offline mode, and try again. When I do that it says server unavailable.

I know the internet works fine though because my Xbox and 2 lap tops run the same internet.

Oh, and yes it is a standard HP, nothin' special. Sounds like I need to get on their website and start looking for some drivers.

Can you see other computers or devices on the network? It could be as simple as DHCP not working quite right. For some reason, my router makes my set the DNS server address manually on SOME computers.

couple things to try:

I assume this is a vista machine

click the start menu -> type CMD in the search and hit enter

type "ipconfig" no quotes

if you get something like this your NIC is installed:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : yourdns.net
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.127
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

ack, seen one of those, but don't know if it's the same infection.

Open the browser, and add an "S" to the address that won't open.

So it says https instead of http.

If it works, get to another computer, and download Malwarebytes.

Get that copied onto the bad computer, and install it.

It should be currently updated already.

Scan and fix and see if it works after that.

Note: The MajorGeeks download is an OK website. That's where the download is now located.

ack, seen one of those, but don't know if it's the same infection.

Open the browser, and add an "S" to the address that won't open.

So it says https instead of http.

If it works, get to another computer, and download Malwarebytes.

Get that copied onto the bad computer, and install it.

It should be currently updated already.

Scan and fix and see if it works after that.

Note: The MajorGeeks download is an OK website. That's where the download is now located.

Majorgeeks is good,

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php points to CNET though.

If you did a destructive reinstall I dont think those scareware (vundo) viruses will survive.

you can install malwarebytes to another computer copy the directory to a flash drive and run it from there, if i'm not mistaken.

good luck.