2008 Yamaha R1???

r6allstar

damn you Yammy haters lol...although the YZ are da bomb, cant totally discount all of Yamaha's bikes. IMO they are the best looking sportbikes available. maybe I am biased lol

You're right there. The R1 is the best looking sportbike ever. The lines on them are beautiful.

I agree. The R1s, year after year, are sweet looking machines. I'm just waiting for the performance to catch up with its looks and I'm sold.

+11 billion... the thing is I dont see why it hasnt happened. if you have moto gp bikes out there running on 800cc and pushing 200+ HP then why cant Yamaha be a little more generous in the performance department. Its easily doable if they want to fork out the cash

wow I thought my 02 r1 was pretty cool and was more innovative than some of the other bikes out there. Does suzuki honda or kawasaki use monoblock calipers, quarter turn fasteners on the fairings, full blown diagnostics on the instrument cluster, or eletronic throttle systems? Both of our suzukis have shitty brakes and I use them more than all the horse power.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/motorcycle_recalls/49/2006/yamaha/yzf_r1/58233.html

But I'm not gonna start the "my bike company is better than your bike company" talk. Its a never ending debate that will never be settled. I don't think Yamas perform well... My opinion. The experts in the mags and on the net feel the same way. That's their opinion.

I have read about the throttle glitch and it it can only be done in a certain gear at a certain rpm and blah blah blah. Most owners didnt know a problem existed until someone told them.

I like all of the japaneese brands but sometimes it is obvious where suzuki tries to save a buck. But hey they go fast and do it well.

the throttle glitch bs was fixed, so that isnt a big deal IMO. I agree with Cleaner, I would rely on these "experts" before my own opinion. I hav eonly ridden my R6 and a same year GSXR-600 and everything the experts talk about are definately noticeable so.. I am just saying visually, Yamaha has its shit together, peformance wise, it could use a little kick in the ass.

Any of you guys ride an 07 R1? WAY better than before. Not a lot, but all in the right areas. There are probably less than 3% of normal riders that can get the most out of a liter bike anyways. So, to say an R1 doesn't perform well from someone is kinda funny as they cannot truthfully give a solid side by side test in terms of performance...

Even with the mags, the bikes are so damn close that in any normal person's hands, it is very slight. In a racer's hands, there can be differences, but I still say that if Spies were riding the ZX10, for example, he'd still be top two... It's pretty simple... In the upper levels of racing, you have guys that are excellent at set-up and can take a lower performing bike up in terms of competitiveness. I mean, the R1 wasn't too shabby this year in either Superstock or Superbike. Not Yosh standards, but not too bad.

And, no one on here would be able to say it performs less than the others as they cannot ride it at that level. Buy what suits you as a rider. Some people like the GSXR because it fits them better. Some buy the R1 because it looks better. Some buy the ZX10 because it has the most stated HP. Some buy Honda because they feel it is the best quality.

You get the idea. A ZX10 in most people's hands is NEVER going to be fully opened up and appreciated. Nor is an R1, GSXR, CBR, etc....

i think his point is that you wont notice the shortfalls of any of these bikes until you are really pushing them at the track, which most of us dont do.

I don't think that's true. I can tell if a bike handles better at 100+ mph than another bike does at 100+ mph. I don't need to be on a track for that. I can tell if a bike has sucky brakes without being on a track. I can tell if a bike feels "heavy" without being on a track. I can tell if the wind screen provides little/no protection without being on a track. I can tell if a bike has better mid-range acceleration without being on a track. And I can tell if a bike still feels comfortable after 2 hours of riding without being on a track. Not saying that these are the shortcomings of the R1 but I AM saying that I don't need to be on a track to tell these things.

..thats why I was saying to rely on the experts b/c they would know before any of us

But, at the end of the day, most cannot ride them at that level. If one would buy the CBR1000 and it was rated at the bottom under the R1, ZX10, and GSXR, does that mean that it isn't for you?

I mean, if you took everything a magazine says (And a LOT of journalists aren't pushing them to the limit), it would be not applying to what may be best for you.