2008 Yamaha R1???

r6allstar

lizard1 you wouldnt happen to have some decent suspension settings for your 04 gsxr that you would like to share.

Sure.

It depends on your riding style and tire choice, but I have good starting points for both Pirelli and Michelin race tires. If you want street/track day tire set-up, I don't have any info...

PM me.

I don't think that's true. I can tell if a bike handles better at 100+ mph than another bike does at 100+ mph. I don't need to be on a track for that. I can tell if a bike has sucky brakes without being on a track. I can tell if a bike feels "heavy" without being on a track. I can tell if the wind screen provides little/no protection without being on a track. I can tell if a bike has better mid-range acceleration without being on a track. And I can tell if a bike still feels comfortable after 2 hours of riding without being on a track. Not saying that these are the shortcomings of the R1 but I AM saying that I don't need to be on a track to tell these things.

I bet I can find a dozen guys who can outride you with them on a 600 and you on one of the "top" liter bikes.

If you can tell all those things on the street, you're a superstar...

Now, sure, windscreen I can say "OK". Comfort is a selective choice amongst riders. What feels good to you may not to another. Mid-range can also be found via a dyno, but I doubt you could tell the difference between the GSXR1000 and R1, for example by the seat of your pants.

Plus, again, I really doubt you can tell the difference between brakes from the GSXR to the R1.

The track is the best place for those things in capable hands than by some general guy who has an opinion. Not saying you can't do those things, but in general and to the point it is most likely close to 95%, most cannot find the same differences.

If you were to NOT read a single article, see ANY tests amongst the big 4, or had any info on ANY of the bikes, you would be hard pressed to prove those points. Then, go out and run against a guy on a 600 who is a capable rider and be blown away on that chosen liter bike you are riding.

Ability and skill will help in evaluating a machine. Opinions surely drive what we feel is good or bad, but honestly, there are few who can really tell.

Lizard, I think most are talking about the POWER, not handling performance. Many, upon many riders tap into the full POWER potential of bikes.

absolutely correct unless you talk to someone that has been to a drag strip then they will tell you how there times were no where near what other guys do on the same bike.

AThere are probably less than 3% of normal riders that can get the most out of a liter bike anyways.

+999999999

i got my r1 because of the looks. i wasnt even in the market when i first saw an online pic. I saw it...had to have it. i never even looked at the specs on it. I cant push it to its max...so what's the point? :)

absolutely correct unless you talk to someone that has been to a drag strip then they will tell you how there times were no where near what other guys do on the same bike.

Well yeah shitty, that's all due to reaction time, weight, launch, etc. They all twist it WOT. Tapping into the power of one isn't hard. Just snap it WOT and you did it.

guess thats why we have aftermarket parts available to us street folks. I think i posted on one of the topics about an '06 R1 I saw at dynotunemotorsports pull a 168 at the rear wheel. Owner said he had a milled head and a full Arrow exhaust which i saw. I would hate the day when it came that we couldnt add things to our bikes to make them faster. To me thats half the fun.

+999999999

i got my r1 because of the looks. i wasnt even in the market when i first saw an online pic. I saw it...had to have it. i never even looked at the specs on it. I cant push it to its max...so what's the point? :)

I appreciate an honest man. You, sir are a rare bird in the motorcycle community. Enjoy that bike. You'll get used to it and become better at riding it and when you are ready, look us up at STT and we'll get you to the track and help you find even more from it...

Well yeah shitty, that's all due to reaction time, weight, launch, etc. They all twist it WOT. Tapping into the power of one isn't hard. Just snap it WOT and you did it.

Yes, you can sample power at WOT, but not many can feel teh difference between mid ranges of one to another. Trust me, if you think you can, you can't.

guess thats why we have aftermarket parts available to us street folks. I think i posted on one of the topics about an '06 R1 I saw at dynotunemotorsports pull a 168 at the rear wheel. Owner said he had a milled head and a full Arrow exhaust which i saw. I would hate the day when it came that we couldnt add things to our bikes to make them faster. To me thats half the fun.

Now, if you run a TRUE Superstock 1000, you're in the 185 range...:D

the fact that all your boys can outride me on my literbike while on their 125s or 250s or 50s is not the point. the point is I can tell the difference in what I like and don't like and all the crap I mentioned above. the fact I can barely keep up with Zorro is not the point. If I rode an R1 I'd be even slower. That's my point.

the fact that all your boys can outride me on my literbike while on their 125s or 250s or 50s is not the point. the point is I can tell the difference in what I like and don't like and all the crap I mentioned above. the fact I can barely keep up with Zorro is not the point. If I rode an R1 I'd be even slower. That's my point.

I wonder if the competing companies have even an idea of what the competition is going to put out. I mean you think they would and would be able to keep it about neck and neck in the power department.

Then your comment about mid range, handling and brakes isn't valid. To YOU they SEEM a certain way. In reality, you can't really tell a difference and brand opinion is more of less how you judge - like most people about bikes.

Fact is that most don't get to ride all 4 and do a true comparison.

I wonder if the competing companies have even an idea of what the competition is going to put out. I mean you think they would and would be able to keep it about neck and neck in the power department.

They all are neck and neck and yes, they all pretty much know what's going on to an extent.

The 600s all are similar for a reason. However, it is whomever gets to the finishing shop first who wins. It's why everything is pushinf towards lower center of gravity and mass placement. It's where all the aerodynamics are coming from, etc. They all are so damn close, that the differences are so small that it really is tough. The 08 GSXR will catch itself up, but teh new R6 will set another standard all the while the CBR and ZX6R will simply blend in. However, they will all be competitive in capable hands.

Then your comment about mid range, handling and brakes isn't valid.

Fact is that most don't get to ride all 4 and do a true comparison.

you are right... all the bikes feel exactly the same. I can't tell the difference between an R1 and a CBR and a ZX10. they are all the same except for the fairings. None of us primative riders can tell the difference... Only riding experts such as yourself. Thank god those things come in different colors or I'd end up buying the wrong brand... OH and BTW Im interested as to how you THINK you know about my riding ability or what bikes I've ridden.

you are right... all the bikes feel exactly the same. I can't tell the difference between an R1 and a CBR and a ZX10. they are all the same except for the fairings. None of us primative riders can tell the difference... Only riding experts such as yourself. Thank god those things come in different colors or I'd end up buying the wrong brand... OH and BTW Im interested as to how you THINK you know about my riding ability or what bikes I've ridden.

Before this gets into a pissing match, let me make some things clear. I DON'T know your riding background or your experience, but the remarks I made are based on the fact that we see so many riders who "think" they can tell and "think" they can ride to the level of the bike they own. The fact is that no matter what level a rider you are, on teh street, you cannot tell the differences outside aesthetics the differences in similar matched bikes.

Between a ZX10 and a ZX14? Sure. Between a 1000 and a 600 in terms of power and midrange? Sure. But, you go and think that on the street you can tell the difference between 160 and 155 RWHP, you're crazy. Think you can tell the difference between a bike that has 5 more HP in teh midrange than another? You're nuts. Same with weight. Guys think one is heavier than another? They are all within 20 pounds of each other. They are within about 7-10 hp of each other.

I'm not saying I can find teh difference, either. You give the elitist speach and say I am an expert. What I am saying is that I have enough experience racing these things, helping others who race them at a level that is AMA caliper and have been around builders of bikes that are top shelf AMA quality and understand the differences. I also see a LOT and deal with a LOT of riders in the field I work in to understand that a LOT of riders "think" they can. It isn't a slap in the face. I'm not calling you out. I'm simply trying to get you guys to be realistic.

When I hear that the RGSXZX 1000 is better than the rest because the others don't have the same power, the others don't handle as well, the others this, the others that... You are stating an opinion that isn't actually based on solid testing. You base it on what other publications say, what the spec sheet states, and what your bias towards one brand or another directs you to.

Plus, a lot of riders don't take the time to set their bikes up properly. Do you set your sag? Do you adjust the clickers and know what each click does? Most don't. We see it every track day. We try and help and that's what I am trying to do here. Make sure that the people who actually go to threads like this to make a decision can see the other side of the discussion.

I've ridden GSXRs, ZXs, CBRs, and R6s at race pace on closed courses. I haven't ridden a 2008 GSXR100 or R1, but I have ridden a CBR and a ZX10 and I can honestly say that compared to the race bikes I have ridden in 2005 and prior, they are almost as good as those were only 3-4 years ago. They all are coming with the wrong springs in the forks - especially the 600s, but overall, they are getting WAY better and they are comparable to race bikes only a few years ago. However, take a 2007 GSXR1000 street bike and ride it at a track and then ride a WELL prepped Superstock 1000 with about 20 more ponies and weight stripped off and you can tell a difference...

All I am saying is that unless you are an editor or an experienced racer with a LOT of background, you aren't going to come close to the limits of a street 600, 750 or 1000. Guys buy 1000s because they "think" they need more power. We have guys on 5 year old 600s smoking them at the track. If that is occuring, how can one say they can tell what's going on with their 1000 outside of asthetics and ergonomics?

In any case, the best street sportbike is the 750 GSXR. A great weapon and an absolute blast to ride. Too often it gets left behind in tests and reviews and the focus is on 600s and 1000s. However, an average rider on a 750 will hang all day long with a rider on a 1000 and not have to work near as hard to keep pace...

I've ridden all of the 2006 models with the exception of a zx10 on the street. all with stock parts. Ridden them very hard on the street. I could tell the difference in them all. Some things I agreed with the reporters about and some things I did not. That being said none of those bikes were set specifically for me. If they were then any difference may have been minimized. But as they were I could tell differences ON THE STREET. So for you to say that's not true is kind of offensive to me. BUT if you are saying with the proper tweeks I wouldn't know the difference or any difference is nominal I would say you are probably right.

Enough about this silly back and forth though. My original point is that the R1s is the sweetest looking bike out. If they come out with a silver one I may have to have it.

I've ridden all of the 2006 models with the exception of a zx10 on the street. all with stock parts. Ridden them very hard on the street. I could tell the difference in them all. Some things I agreed with the reporters about and some things I did not. That being said none of those bikes were set specifically for me. If they were then any difference may have been minimized. But as they were I could tell differences ON THE STREET. So for you to say that's not true is kind of offensive to me. BUT if you are saying with the proper tweeks I wouldn't know the difference or any difference is nominal I would say you are probably right.

Enough about this silly back and forth though. My original point is that the R1s is the sweetest looking bike out. If they come out with a silver one I may have to have it.

I'm with ya. Let's quit the back and forth. I think you get what I am saying and I think I get what you're saying.

Plus, I agree - the R1 is one badass looking machine!