Turn off your cell phone when you get home or I'm suing you

Likwid

If i'm the plaintiff's attorney, I would say, "my client doesn't expect anyone to ensure his comfort, but the defendant should be obligated not to take unnecessary measures that increase my client's discomfort."

You could even argue that she's harassing the plaintiff. (tenuous, but possible)

an iPhone and dimmer switches aren't essential to her existence - it's not like he's asking her to turn off her heat or water. there are viable alternatives to the devices she's using that wouldn't irritate the plaintiff's condition as much.

Is it a "right" to be able to use an iPhone in your house if it's hurting your neighbors? How is that different than blaring loud techno music 24/7?

It wouldn't surprise me if we see "electromagnetic pollution" legislation in our lifetime.

yes she does have the right to utilize the available, legal technology. it is his affliciton and therefore his responsiblity to see that he protects himself. he has 3.79 million square miles from which to chose.

...but don't see why I should adjust my living habits when you can simply adjust yours. :)

no doubt....

I see a large Faraday cage in that person's future. There's even additives to paint that can block a cell phone signal (I understand that all EM radiation isn't created equal, but it's a start), I remember they were looking to use this at cinemas until it was shot down.

Those paints are cool, but expensive. They just add nickel or copper dust to the paint to make it an overall conductive surface. But at around 0.01ohm per centimerter, the guy would have to ground the painted walls fairly often to get good signal shielding everywhere.

I have no idea why I felt the need to type that, but the idea is is cool. Not a small task in terms of time or money, but it would be cool to see a house that was EMR shielded.

yes she does have the right to utilize the available, legal technology. it is his affliciton and therefore his responsiblity to see that he protects himself. he has 3.79 million square miles from which to chose.

She can use legal technology as long as she's not using it in a negligent manner. That's what a jury will have to decide.

"it's his affliction and therefor his responsibility to see that he protects himself" is NOT true.

The law consistently holds that "you take your victim as you find them." Preexisting conditions are NOT the victim's fault.

I find that rule irritating, but it's widely enforced.

how is that the same?

we're assuming that this guy has a legitimate medical condition that is aggrevated by his neighbor's activities.

I'm not disagreeing that the guy is a whiney douche - just playing devil's advocate.

If he invited her to live in proximity to him, and was aware of his "condition" ahead of time, he was obliged to make a good-faith effort to at least inform her of the condition, at which time the contract could have been considered in light of the new terms of the living arrangement.

he didn't. :dunno: Doesn't get much simpler than that.

Additionally, what the hell, sleeping in your car? Right underneath the power lines on the street?

Is this guy retarded?