C++ help....anyone?

jessecwalters

So Im in a programming class for school, and so far Ive gotten what we've learned and can write a simple code. But I don't know how to write the code for "press any key to continue" and make the system pause, until enter or another key is pressed. I am using Microsoft visual studio 2005. If any one can help it would be appreciated. I need it soon too please

tsk tsk tsk...

Rule number one of the IT world is if you have a problem, google the shit out of it.

http://www.xtremevbtalk.com/showthread.php?t=147426

http://bytes.com/topic/c/answers/484383-message-press-any-key-continue

came from a google of "visual c++ press any key to continue". Work on your google-fu, you'll need it if you want to try and make a career out of IT.

When using Visual Studio, MSDN is your friend!

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa983532(VS.71).aspx

yeah buddie, microsoft is soooo reliable...

just clicked the samples and got this...

Content cannot be found

The content you requested is not available in your language English (United States). The list below contains all copies of this page for all supported locales and versions. Click on one of the links to view an alternate copy of the content.

I never said anything about Microsoft being reliable! I just stated that the MSDN has documentation for programming with Visual studio.

no worries, I just got this thing about microsoft giving me useless outdated bogus information when I'm working on fixing stuff. It's aggravating...

so Jesse, googling does give a lot of code examples, it sure beats the old fashioned way, checking 20 programming books out of the library and searching for code examples...

Sorry, I'd been off the site for a couple of days, I could've told you right off what you needed. Oh well, PM me next time you need something like that-- I've still got all my notes, books, handouts, and old progs from my last two C++ classes.

• 1 year later...
So, short story long... I took a new position, it's embedded controller based, lots of c-coding which I haven't done since college...

Any refresher book recommendations "C+ for Dummies", etc to brush up on my C-skillz?

yeah, ballpeen hammers work better on terminals than claw hammers. Make sure you get a hefty weight for when you get into hour 36 and your code still won't compile. Don't worry if you can't lift it out of the store, the adrenaline will take care of that later.

Where are you taking classes? I graduated from DeVry back in 93. I'm a mainframe Cobol programmer (old school) at Grange Insurance. Been there eight years. Worked at National City for seven years until they outsourced me to India, and at The Limited for three years before that.

I'm trying to learn C# but I don't have enough time in the day (gotta ride, right? LOL)

Jim

Where are you taking classes? I graduated from DeVry back in 93. I'm a mainframe Cobol programmer (old school) at Grange Insurance. Been there eight years. Worked at National City for seven years until they outsourced me to India, and at The Limited for three years before that.

I'm trying to learn C# but I don't have enough time in the day (gotta ride, right? LOL)

Jim

Ouch, Cobol.. I remember that language. Not a hard language but takes forever to write a program.

Another zombie thread again. MY problem was solved, I dont remember how tho.

@ JRMMiii

I dont remember what book we used in the class, if I can find it ill post up what it was.

@ Jcarlson

Im attending the campus on Alum Creek. I just got out of a class where we did a lot of assembly and a little bit of c. pain in the ass. interesting tho.

@ shittygsxr

the "any" key is right next to the "divide by zero" key ;)

For embedded, wouldn't you typically not bother with C++ and just use plain old C?

That's the answer I got from one of our resident eggheads... I mean programmers, when I was looking to get into embedded design. I've done some assembly, and it's really not that difficult... just tedious.

yea, for the embedded it was just c and assembly. Thats was the last class i took. The thread was originally from months ago and I was taking a C++ class at that time. and assembly can be quite annoying, as can all the other programming languages