Dunlop Sportmax Q2

20thGix

Dunno the Q2 yet, but I put a SportMax RoadSmart (multi-compound) on the rear for the 2009 season, and it really did not show any wear at all. Not even the traditional flat spot all around the center. I put a nail in it and had to buy another. So I would say any of the dual compound will increase miles per tire a lot. I was previously buying tires every year.

Deep in the Dunlop website, it says the RoadSmart is ok matched up with the previous Qualifier. Slightly different profile from the previous, I think. It felt a tiny bit different, but nothing major. That will probably go away when I switch the front tire to match.

edit: the SportMax and RoadSmart are both Dunlop Qualifiers, same tread, different tread, old name, whatever.

Edited by ReconRat

Both of my original Qualifiers were replaced (only 5 miles on them to get gas!) with the Q2 as part of the winterizing process, so I can only repeat what what a field rep stated as "they're the next logical series". He couldn't/wouldn't comment when I asked if the Qualifiers were being replaced.

The Qualifiers are being replaced with the Q2. It's the next evolution of the Qualifier. Everything I've read about them so far has been good. I want a set. I got my original Qualifiers to last 6000 miles on the Ape. I expect the Q2s to last me the whole summer depending on how I use them.

Dunlop is claiming more predictability in the wet. ( the standard qualifiers felt fine in the rain). And they are saying the new Q2s are outperforming the Qualifier by 2 seconds a lap. That's big if it's true.

As far as wet weather and the qualifiers go i though they felt kind of sketchy. So now where can a guy find the best price on these. Do you think i can get a better deal now that its cold out or wait till spring? The past 2 years ive bought tires in the spring or early summer.

There might be a sale at inventory time in February, or when new tire shipments arrive and there are too many in stock. But I wouldn't count on it for a Q2.

Iron Pony - 180/55-17 - $177.99

cheap mail order - 180/55-17 - $153.95

save 24 bucks, no taxes, but pay shipping, not much of a savings.

I just go to a local shop and get it done and over with in one afternoon.