Handgun recommendations

smashweights

how do you like the .380 auto as a cartridge? i've read it's basically a weaker/shorter 9mm para cartridge

Actually the 380 is a 9mm, its the same bullet, slightly shorter case. As a matter of fact in europe the 380 is known as the 9mm kurz or sometimes spelled curts, curtz or kurtz

Either way, its the same round with slightly less power.

"hint: if you cant find 380 ammo, sometimes you can find cheap foreign stuff labeled 9mm Kurz...... its the same stuff"

Edited by Rod38um

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah i'd heard about the name differences. still debating though, saw the current vance add and they had the xd9 4" at $419 but they also had the PK380 for $299. both of which i would be happy with, though seeing their 9mm prices sure makes a 9mm para look cheaper in the long run.

• 3 weeks later...

ended up picking up the Walther PK380 at Vance's for $299, then spent 3 days looking online for ammo and bought a case. finally got to the range yesterday and it was great. really easy to shoot.

2009shotshow-day1-2009shotshow-01152009-019.jpg

from ~22 feet

11-feb-10independence22ft.jpg?t=1266022250

be nice, it was my first time out with a handgun (save the 50ish rounds i shot a few weeks ago on rentals)

Edited by smashweights

thread hijack..anyone here got a ruger sp101 revolver? thoughts?

After reading great reviews in magazines and such I thought I wanted one of these a while back. That is until I went to the range and put a box of 50 through one. The SP101 is heavy and kicks like a mule compared to similar size/weight auto loaders. I would definitely recomend shooting one before you purchase.

I am just starting to look for a handgun. I like the Springfield XD, sig, and eventually upgrade to a Kimber 1911. This really is like a Ford-Chevy debate. And as far as "looks" the CZ line looks great too. I think I will begin by renting guns at the range and then decide. Not looking for a CC, just something to shoot at the range and get skills.

I am just starting to look for a handgun. I like the Springfield XD, sig, and eventually upgrade to a Kimber 1911. This really is like a Ford-Chevy debate. And as far as "looks" the CZ line looks great too. I think I will begin by renting guns at the range and then decide. Not looking for a CC, just something to shoot at the range and get skills.

buy a ruger ;)

Good choice on the walthers. they seem to make good stuff. I liked jbots little .22 I shot last time we were at the range. Only gripe would be the weird mag release. Scott, let me know when you want to go to the range I will bring my 2 xd's save ya some money on renting them.

i like the paddle mag release and i like their rationale for making it that way: their paddle is less likely to be flipped while carrying than a most buttons are to be pushed. if you liked the P22, then you should really like the PK380, essentially same size in a larger caliber.

Yeah less likely to be found in a life/death situation also. But If you need to change mags then you are screwed anyways right? If it is the same size as the p22 then that would be a great summer gun for pocket carry. I have been looking for a smaller gun for pocket carry in the summer. Maybe this might fit the bill. they make it in a 9mm?

no, but they do make the new PPS, which is actually slightly smaller in 9mm and .40 S&W (which is likely the reason they made this in .380 auto only). but it's 2x the cost. if i ever get serious about conceal carry and have an extra $600 lying around, i might look into it down the road.

Walther-PPS-2.jpg

and the mag release may be less likely to be found if you've never shot the gun before, in which case you probably shouldnt have it in a life/death scenario anyway. if you've handled it for any time at all, why would you ever have trouble finding something on your own gun? especially if you're like me and this is the only magazine release you've ever known. i actually think it's faster/as fast to operate too as you can release the mag in one motion sliding your index finger or thumb downward as it's ambidextrous.

also, i dont think these are pocket carry guns. they're in the glock 26 size group, but much slimmer which should make them more comfortable for IWB carry.

DSC03080.jpg