JRMMiii modifies bike to get a move on:

893-motorcycle-sport-bike-view.jpg

Edited by ReconRat
+M

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe they CAN choose to, but if they cause an accident the city will be liable legally... but then again cops can do whatever they want right?

Cops get away with a lot.

Bad34 should remember this from high school.

http://www.weathernet5.com/news/3545411/detail.html

The victim was a friend of my brother. The cop ran a light (@ 82 and Avery)

The victim didn't remember what happened, and I don't believe he got a dime for the accident, despite the fact that the Cop was at fault. The only thing I know the city did about it was install those blue flashing lights in intersections that turn on when an emergency vehicle is approaching.

Edited by redkow97
found link to the news story.

I believe they CAN choose to, but if they cause an accident the city will be liable legally... but then again cops can do whatever they want right?

and they don't even have to call it persuing...they could just say they were following...

being the final word on real-time law enterpretation, they can pretty much do what they want.

Haters.

Obetz has a 750 which only a couple people ride. He does have a special made jacket as well which he uses most of the time.

Groveport does not have a bike, if they did it would be not be a sportbike.

Lets just be THANKFUL that SOME officers have bikes.. they are usually a little less harsh on their fellow riders wouldnt ya think..

Edited by JudgeDredd

All this talk about chase... Don't they need to know how to RIDE a sportbike before they consider chasing? I've never seen them at any of our track days or schools...

They should and I offer that if they want to learn, I can talk with Monte and get a deal for them. But, if I was a street rider and knew what I think a few of you guys who have been to the track know, I'd tuck and see what happened...

Of course, that Motorola still works pretty damn good... Hence, the reason I don't ride street.

You're not advocating that people with trackday experience run from the cops are you, QuikZX6R-Brian?

:popcorn:

So, JD.. do you know this guy or work for Obetz PD? I'm glad to see him with a helmet on, but you would think being in public safety that they would have more gear?? Maybe it has to do with the rest of the protective equipment that police officers have to have on? I don't know what other equipment a motorcycle cop has to have on..What do I know... I'm just a firefighter! HAHA

Also, is the training requirements for being able to ride on the street with a motorcycle the same for all bikes or do the sportbike cops have to go thru a different class?

Just asking... I'd be a cop if I could ride one of those all day... wait... never mind! I'll stick to watching movies and eating sno-cones all day at the fd! ;)

PS. As far as the training goes for ANY bike officer to be allowed to ride on the street.. Its much harder than you can possibly imagine.

Ive seen some of the trainings.. I do have to say though that I think they should require a different training if they are going to allow them a sportbike. Its no different then me having to have a CDL for a semi.

I know him personally yes. That pic might have been before the jacket was given to him not sure. There is a company that specially makes sportbike style jackets for officers actually. In ohio all bike training classes are the same. You train on the bike you RIDE as well.. he learned on that bike with plastics off for the course. As for the helmet, the radio is built into it so there will never be 1 chance of riding down the road without it on ;)

I must say you FD guys have it easy yes hah. I would totally rock a sportbike if my dept bought them but I never see that happening! He doesnt actually put in 8hr shifts on that bike either no ;)

Edited by JudgeDredd

Thats cool.. yeah I thought it had the radio in the helmet... thats cool!

And yes.. we have it easy.. unless you get woke up like I did this morning at 4am for someone that was having problems breathing for 2 days.. just decided to call us at 4am! WTF?? HAHA.. oh'well thats what we are there for huh?

Be safe!

Haters.

Obetz has a 750 which only a couple people ride. He does have a special made jacket as well which he uses most of the time.

Groveport does not have a bike, if they did it would be not be a sportbike.

Lets just be THANKFUL that SOME officers have bikes.. they are usually a little less harsh on their fellow riders wouldnt ya think..

My friend is the chief at Obetz.....Good guy who also is a motorcyclist. He was my boss here in Newark, for quite a while.

PS. As far as the training goes for ANY bike officer to be allowed to ride on the street.. Its much harder than you can possibly imagine.

I agree that their training is immensely difficult, but isn't most of it low-speed maneuverability drills?

if training is the same regardless of the bike (as someone else claimed), then it stands to reason that they don't expect the sportbike to perform high-speed handling maneuvers that the cruisers are incapable of completing.

Personally, i think the $ spent for a cop to get to a few trackdays on a 750 or 1000, and then build a POSITIVE relationship with locals at various bike nights would go a long way. 1) "look, cops don't hate sportbikes." 2) "look, the cops can ride just as fast as I can... shit..."

the BICYCLE cops in Broadview Heights used to ride around handing out coupons for free ice cream to anyone wearing a bike helmet. If motorcycle cops rode around handing out coupons for $50 off a trackday to anyone with full gear, i'd wear riding pants a hell of a lot more often... (or maybe you can claim a coupon for every year of riding you complete w/o receiving a moving violation, or something...)

Unfortunately all of that costs money, and I think we all know where the revenue comes from :rolleyes:

i think most TD orgs would JUMP at the chance to be able to advertise that they train LEO's.

Even if they didn't, how much would it really cost? $1,000 should buy 3 weekends at the track. Are police departments hurting THAT badly?

my guess this is a bike they use for DARE and fair's and such. Kind of like what they do with re-po'ed Camaro's and H2's and such.

I doubt they are actually sitting on 75, with a radar gun waiting to clock someone.

I may be wrong though, I don't even know where these places are.

my guess this is a bike they use for DARE and fair's and such. Kind of like what they do with re-po'ed Camaro's and H2's and such.

I doubt they are actually sitting on 75, with a radar gun waiting to clock someone.

I may be wrong though, I don't even know where these places are.

:D

xc7l6u.jpg