Superstock engine refresh in pictures...

Moto-Brian

Thought maybe you'd all like to see what happens to a motor as it is handled through a full refresh...

Here's some specs:

GSXR1000 (07-08 generation) with full superstock build. Meaning, it has been touched to gain optimal performance in about every way. Bottom end to the top...

In any case, it was time for a refresh. Reuben is one of the best guys I have ever seen work on motors. He's been courted by some top level teams for his services, but in the end, he's a racer and loves to work out of his own shop.

He's done everything from race prep to freshening up track day riders' suspension. This job is full refresh and refresh of the suspension...

The motor was completely torn down and cases cracked. Had some tranny wear as typical of a bike like this. The motor is anywhere between 185-190 depending on the dyno - at the wheel. The bearings all need replaced and the simple things like rings, valves, keepers, springs, etc.

Parts are generally very expensive and such to pull money out of pocket, but the results are amazing. Bikes time out over the miles. They may still run and they may show no real signs of being tired, but they do. As you continue to abuse them and even if you are great at maintaining them, they still get tired...

Here's a pic of the top of the pistons. They don't look horrible...

dsc00579nu.jpg

Here's after the 35 touch:

dsc00581tr.jpg

The top end was the biggest cost as valves, keepers, springs and everything that is associated with the valve train is replaced for the most part. Cam chain, chain guide, etc...

Here's after the golden hand of Reuben had been placed upon it. Had to do some machine work for the valve job, as well... He has one of the best machinist in the country...

cylinderheadgsxr.jpg

And finally, the crank. I love looking at this pic. It isn't the illegal crank as found in the Yosh bikes! JUST KIDDING!! Anyways, bearings are all new and everything is to Reuben's liking...

crankassembly.jpg

I will post more pics as progress continues. The forks are a big deal as they had to get newer updates to the gas cartridges. So, I don't have pics yet.

In the end, this can show you all as to the amount of work involved. Machining, dis assembly, assembly, and attention to detail are all the things that come with a refresh or a build.

So, when you hear the cost of a race build or the cost that is listed to freshen up your bike's motor, understand that it is VERY involved and you want it in good hands. Reuben has two of the best hands in the motor building world. Even if he has a hole in one of them!:p (side joke...)

Anyways, as I have posted before, I actually go through Indy about twice a month at least. I can haul motors, suspension parts, etc. for you FREE! You don't have to drive, ship or pick up anything as long as it fits in my car. I can haul multiple engines, tons of forks and shocks, etc. I can haul bikes, too - BUT that will cost you fuel... I'd have to use the truck and that isn't cheap...

Anyways, just thought I'd share...

Did you have a full season on that motor, Brian?

What did the valves look like (on the stem end)?

Dude, this thing has a lot of time on it. I got it from Mark after Russ ran it a whole season. I then ran it whatever amount of days with STT and raced the one AMA GC event. Who knows the true miles/hours...

I can get some pics of the valves, but man, it was pretty damn amazing. They were really clean considering...

I can get some pics of the valves, but man, it was pretty damn amazing. They were really clean considering...

I wasnt curious about how clean they are - curious what the stem looks like.

We saw a lot of the Ti valves getting pretty hammered on SS motors after a season. Wondered if that was still an issue.

I wasnt curious about how clean they are - curious what the stem looks like.

We saw a lot of the Ti valves getting pretty hammered on SS motors after a season. Wondered if that was still an issue.

I emailed Rub and asked for pics. I'll ask his thoughts and post. They looked pretty good to me, but I ain't no tuner! :D

I emailed Rub and asked for pics. I'll ask his thoughts and post. They looked pretty good to me, but I ain't no tuner! :D

They were pretty bad in the RR bikes, but it was worse in the drag bikes (nitrous) to the point we went back to stainless. The Ti valves wouldn't hold up.

I'm more curious than anything else.

Ok, some final step pics...

New parts. Yup, everything here has been replaced.

dsc00591oo.jpg

Tranny parts...

dsc00582pi.jpg

Typical on race bikes - some wear and tear is going to result. Reuben will not re-assemble a motor with worn parts. Makes it too suspect for failure. Pay $40 now to save thousands...

dsc00583j.jpg

Looking PURDY!

dsc00584k.jpg

A few new parts that had some wear on them. Nothing serious - typical. But again, why risk it, right? And, you won't convince Reuben otherwise as worn parts here can lead to BIG issues. These are the little things that a lot of times, go undone. Meaning, we tend to keep trucking all the while, these little parts are getting closer and closer to failure.

dsc00585ar.jpg

Again, more things that tend to be disregarded. We as racers try and save money and forget the things that really matter. Cam chains and guides are on that list. Go in and do minimally a valve adjustment and the motor never gets the real service it should. 5,000 race miles is brutal on a bike and if you travel the pits or travel around a track day group, most have MANY more miles than that. The small things will time out and eventually let you know they have failed... In a BIG way...

dsc00588rd.jpg

Almost done. Dialing it in before clamping it shut...

dsc00589dj.jpg

Buttoned up and ready for flight. A few notes that need to be added here... Reuben is a clean freak. His work area and tools are some of the cleanest things I have seen outside an AMA racing team shop. And I have visited a few. He's VERY particular as to where things are, how they are used, how things are treated while at the shop and how they are returned. He received this motor in pretty shitty shape.

I pulled it when it was really cold and literally didn't have it clean for him. I felt bad. But, in typical fashion (I know the parts are always cleaned in a tear down) even for smaller service like valve adjustment, etc., Reuben returns stuff cleaner than it came in. It allows you to install a part or something like this motor as clean as it can be before you run it again. That allows you to maintain the cleanliness as you ride the bike. As most probably know, I am pretty anal about my bike and maintain it as well as time affords. But, most do not. You should see some of the bikes that he gets. But, in the end, they come back looking like this:

dsc00590e.jpg

Edited by Desmo-Brian

Looking good.. looks like the tranny definitley had some wear. Couple of gears, 3 shift forks and all new shift linkage.. Quit beating on the damn thing so much. Funny because those pics remind me of the exact same pics I took when I split the case on my YZ to replace the a few gears and the drive shaft.

What exactly is being done in this pic? Cam Timing? I believe the big yosh plate is to adjust the timing based on crank position but what is he using tool at the top for which looks like a run-out gauge.

dsc00589dj.jpg

Edited by flounder

What exactly is being done in this pic? Cam Timing? I believe the big yosh plate is to adjust the timing based on crank position but what it the tool at the top which looks almost like a micrometer readout.

dsc00589dj.jpg

The thing at the top is a indicator (they used to have dials on them back in the day - now everything is digital)

Anyway, degreeing the cams (cam timing) to the crank is essential on one of these motors to get everything out of it.

Looking good.. looks like the tranny definitley had some wear. Couple of gears, 3 shift forks and all new shift linkage.. Quit beating on the damn thing so much. Funny because those pics remind me of the exact same pics I took when I split the case on my YZ to replace the a few gears and the drive shaft.

What exactly is being done in this pic? Cam Timing? I believe the big yosh plate is to adjust the timing based on crank position but what it the tool at the top which looks almost like a micrometer readout.

dsc00589dj.jpg

he is degreeing the cams witch by moving the lobe centers around u can move tq and house power around..... like my bike my numbers are 107/108 witch brings my tq in sooner witch is better for drag racing with im guessing he is road racing witch less tq more hp would be his ticket

Final pics until I start the process of getting it put back in...

Valve job. Reuben has a guy that is an amazing machinist. He is now doing 4 angle valve jobs. I am going to have Reuben chime in on the cam degreeing and the valve job for you guys, but in the end, it's better and allows things to be a little more opened up.

Not my head, but a shot to give you an idea...

valvejob.jpg

My gas cartridges. Reuben can get you guys these things. They are the gas charged inserts from Traxxion. Reuben can service the forks, but the cartridges need sent to Traxxion direct at this point.

Reuben was awesome on this in getting me updated parts. I guess the cartridges are updated, the internals are updated, they made new spacers, and the springs are now larger diameter to prevent flex. All this was updated from the pic you see here and couldn't have been completed had Reuben not gone to bat for me with Traxxion. It's the little things that make Reuben so good...

gascartridges.jpg

I'll update later with some notes on what I have done with the chassis...

he is degreeing the cams witch by moving the lobe centers around u can move tq and house power around..... like my bike my numbers are 107/108 witch brings my tq in sooner witch is better for drag racing with im guessing he is road racing witch less tq more hp would be his ticket

True. The main thing that I'm trying to accomplish is to make sure that the pistons and valves aren't going to meet at high RPM's. With the way that these superstock engines are modified, we see compression ratios go from stock to as high as 15:1! Piston to valve clearances are much more vital than just tuning with cam numbers. Some of the 600's are so tight that you just have to live with whatever lobe center numbers you end up with to insure at least minimum piston to valve.

True. The main thing that I'm trying to accomplish is to make sure that the pistons and valves aren't going to meet at high RPM's. With the way that these superstock engines are modified, we see compression ratios go from stock to as high as 15:1! Piston to valve clearances are much more vital than just tuning with cam numbers. Some of the 600's are so tight that you just have to live with whatever lobe center numbers you end up with to insure at least minimum piston to valve.

What thickness head gasket are you using?