Stainless Steel Hex Head Bolts

tomato_racing

Most good hardware stores have a decent selection.

But this is where I need to warn you that stainless steel hardware in aluminum engine cases can/will corrode/rust a lot more than steel in aluminum. You won't see the stainless steel corrode much, but the aluminum will literally dissolve and be gone. Add some salt water spray and it will be leaving a big hole. I've seen it happen. I've even done that, and I won't be doing it again.

Steel hardware on aluminum does the same thing, only not nearly as bad. and it's the steel that tends to rust, instead of the corrosion of the aluminum.

If it's sealed in, like with Loctite or a NAPA thread/gasket sealer, or even a coat of wet primer before assembly, it will get by ok. That keeps the air and water out.

Stainless steel in contact with steel frame or steel parts (including steel Helicoil threads) is fine, no problem. Minimum corrosion potential. edit: I take it back, stainless and steel will still produce a corrosion problem, depending on the type of stainless steel used.

It's the dielectric potential between the two types of materials. There is worse combinations. I remember aluminum and titanium together is a total disaster.

edit: I know this is way overboard, but it's good info to keep in mind when building stuff.

Here's the basic corrosion potential chart. Materials closer together on the chart are less likely to corrode.

Notice that cadmium is between steel and aluminum, and that's why steel is often cadmium plated.

Except in aerospace where it's outlawed, because it produces toxic vapors when burned.

Dry parts aren't as much a problem as wet parts. Add water, especially acid rain or salt water, and the metals can work like a battery, producing corrosion quickly.

http://www.corrosionist.com/Galvanic_Corrosion.htm

picture.php?albumid=34&pictureid=9608

Edited by ReconRat

The Andersons at 161 and Sawmill has a good selection of fasteners and might be good first stop - since you're in Dublin.

If they don't have it, as Hue said, Roush might. And if Roush doesn't have it they can probably tell you where to find it.

If you don't have to have it today, McFeely's (click) has anything and everything you could ever want.

edit: just re-read the OP and saw you didn't want to go online. Oops! Still, McFeely's is great and has everything. I've shopped with them, they're quick and trustworthy.

If you buy metric fasteners froma hardware store, make damned sure you check the thread pitch with a pitch gauge.

Jap bikes use fine threads and a lot of hardware stores don't stock fine threads. Especially in the larger sizes like 10mm and 12mm. Bikes use 10mm X 1.25 pitch and 12mm X 1.50 pitch whereas hardware stores typically sell 10 X 1.5 and 12 X 1.75.

If the bolt doesn't thread in easily - don't force it, or you'll fuck up the treads.

If you buy metric fasteners froma hardware store, make damned sure you check the thread pitch with a pitch gauge.

Jap bikes use fine threads and a lot of hardware stores don't stock fine threads. Especially in the larger sizes like 10mm and 12mm. Bikes use 10mm X 1.25 pitch and 12mm X 1.50 pitch whereas hardware stores typically sell 10 X 1.5 and 12 X 1.75.

If the bolt doesn't thread in easily - don't force it, or you'll fuck up the treads.

very good point. Make sure it's the exact thread pitch you're looking for.

try Metro Industries on Goodale. i have always found what i wanted there.

Metro

they have nearly every metric combination of fastner, with exception of 11mm (i think), which is reserved for auto manufacturers only and they dont have a minumum purchase requirement.

Roush hooked it up! Great selection and even better customer service. I highly recommend them.

Yep i love em too. the tall older guy usually hooks me up. ive bought a shixload of stainless metric there.